Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #51  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4gMN View Post
    So I might have figured it out and don't know how to fix it. I have two phones on my line not including the Airave. One with a 515 area code (Des Moines) and one with 612 (Mpls). The airave somehow got a 515 area code probably since my 515 is my primary line. Even though I live in Minneapolis. Is it possible this is why? I would think that even though the Airave has a 515 number the GPS on it would have picked up a Mpls signal. This is frustrating! Maybe I just need to call Sprint. I tried online chat today and they are worthless. All they tried doing was resetting my phone and updating a few things on it.
    I just swapped battery. My weather app won't fine my location when connected to the airave. Hmm. Doesn't bother me. I know where I am. If Haha. If I pull up maps and let GPS find me it will run off that last location.
    Thanked by:
    milominderbinde likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    I just swapped battery. My weather app won't fine my location when connected to the airave. Hmm. Doesn't bother me. I know where I am. If Haha. If I pull up maps and let GPS find me it will run off that last location.
    I added this to the Opening Post:

    • WiFi based location services may show your location as the ISP's central office

    Thanks!
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Thanked by:
    masonfactor likes this.
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    So, no broadband, can't use Airave, right?
  4. #54  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rangeyrd View Post
    So, no broadband, can't use Airave, right?
    Correct the airave required 1mbps of internet connection.
  5. #55  
    crump84's Avatar

    Posts
    793 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

    Default

    Finally got Sprint to send me a free Airave... Hope this thing works as good as advertised.

    Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by crump84 View Post
    Finally got Sprint to send me a free Airave... Hope this thing works as good as advertised.

    Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
    The Airave sure worked for me and a lot of others.

    Double check the notes in the opening post, especially about having it's antenna near a window so it can see the GPS satellites.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    Will it actually work in a roaming zone? According to a sprint map and my phone's behavior, the 3G/service area is cutoff is like a couple feet from my home.

    Usually about five minutes away, that's when I start getting signal strength and such.

    If I do get it, it'll only be useful for a month since my college area gets strong Sprint signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    Will it actually work in a roaming zone? According to a sprint map and my phone's behavior, the 3G/service area is cutoff is like a couple feet from my home.

    Usually about five minutes away, that's when I start getting signal strength and such.

    If I do get it, it'll only be useful for a month since my college area gets strong Sprint signal.

    It should be fine and do whatever it takes to get it for free and no monthly fee. Eventually they will cave in if someone is fighting you on it. I'm a corporate customer so it was actually offered to me. Prior to that I've never heard of the AirRave. I'm not sure how much different the one in the picture is compared to the one I have but I do get great reception because of it.

    I'm one of those who seem to always end up living in an area that is just feet away from good reception for some reason. When I was in California it was basically just down my street, a little pocket that had horrible reception. Literally one bar or dropped calls constantly. With the AirRave I got full bars. I know when its working because it gives me "3 beeps" just before my call goes through plus visually looking at the phone bars.

    The one I have is not Samsung but "Airvana". Does anyone have any experience with the two and if so is one better than the other? What I do like about the one I have is that there is no external antennae like the one on the Samsung. Mine has this little black "puck" with about 20+ feet of wire which is perfect for where I am now in Arizona because there is no window where our internet connection is so I just run it to the closest window and it works great out here. Just like in California I noticed right around a small area I live I do not get good reception even though the map shows it should be. With the AirRave I get full bars and everything runs pretty good.

    I just took a look on Sprint and noticed that they have they two different boxes. The one talked about on here is "Airave" and the one I have is called "Airave Access Point". Gee, now I have to go and learn the differences between the two.

    Jim
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    We finally had to unplug our Airave. It was working fine for me, but my wife (who is the talker in the family) had a lot of issues with it. Quite often it would cause a delay in a conversation - sort of like those live news feeds where they have to wait 4 or 5 seconds between question and response. Fine on a short tv interview, unacceptable on a phone call. She also had problems with echoing - hearing her own voice echoing back to her after she spoke. I had the delay issue happen once, but she was having the problem several times a week.

    My signal strength dropped as soon as we unplugged it, but I don't use the phone that much when I'm at home...so I suppose it's not a huge problem.
  9. #59  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    We finally had to unplug our Airave. It was working fine for me, but my wife (who is the talker in the family) had a lot of issues with it. Quite often it would cause a delay in a conversation - sort of like those live news feeds where they have to wait 4 or 5 seconds between question and response. Fine on a short tv interview, unacceptable on a phone call. She also had problems with echoing - hearing her own voice echoing back to her after she spoke. I had the delay issue happen once, but she was having the problem several times a week.

    My signal strength dropped as soon as we unplugged it, but I don't use the phone that much when I'm at home...so I suppose it's not a huge problem.
    Weird, I haven't had any of those issues. What phone is she using? I'be heard of a setting that rooted users can enable on their EVOs which enhances call quality by using a higher bit rate sound code but it also breaks Airave compatibility. Could be some phones have similar parameters stock.

    Only issue I've had with my unit is SMS time stamps... My received messagea consistently display a time that's one hour ahead or behind of actual time (o forget which), can get annoying during a long conversation since all sent messages get lumped together and all received messages end up lumped as well (forcing me to scroll more).

    I did some research and it seems it's something on Sprint,s end that has been fixed and broken several times over... Complicating manners, there's no daylight savings in Puerto Rico so that probably throws things off too. If anyone finds a solution please holler.
  10. #60  
    rlanza1054's Avatar
    Samsung - SPH-D710

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,089 Global Posts

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Hi all,

    Newbie here, the Android site that is. Will be former WebOS user in just a couple of days.

    I'm waiting for my 'pre-order' on the Samsung Galaxy 2 Epic from Sprint.

    A few weeks ago, I had to replace my 2 year old Pre through insurance (I had to pay the $100 deductible). I was not yet ready to get a new phone. I was waiting until Sprint released a better phone and they did! The Samsung 2, I even think they will be releasing a few more, so I still have that 30 day option, but I'm told that I will love the Samsung and I will eventually love Android as well! So I am excited.

    Sorry, I got off topic!

    In getting my phone setup (I had a bad MSL code), I told the rep about my reception issues that I have been having for years and the promise of an antenna being added to my neighborhood but never happening. He then offered me the Airwave for free! I said yes of course.

    After about a week or two, he said they were back-ordered, I finally received one. It turns out it is the Airwave Access Point model shown on page one of this thread, the first post.

    However, I am having setup issues that Sprint just is not versed in alternative setups. They only offer setting up the Airwave as the first point after the modem (in my case a cable modem from Time Warner Cable in NYC).

    The Airwave becomes your router!

    I don't want it to be setup like that. I am on an Ooma phone system (it's a VoIP, just like Vonage but a lot cheap). The phone system unit is my router, not a great one but that's how it works best, you need to be able to do QOS.

    So I am looking for good instructions on how to hook it up 'behind' a router.

    For the time being, I have put my Ooma system behind the Airwave and just used the default settings that Sprint wants me to use. But that is not the best solution for me.

    I'm planning on getting another router, I tend to use Trendnet Wireless Routers, but I am going to try this Asus brand that someone said they got it to work with (the Airwave being behind that router).

    Its funny tonight I just finished moving the Airwave closer to a window, so the external antenna would reach. I had tested it near where my cable modem and the Ooma system are, but they are not near windows. So I had to move it so the external antenna wiring would be able to reach a window to get the GPS signal.

    But just now, after needing some information, I tried the *99 and it seems that even though all the lights on the Airwave are solid green, I'm not getting the cellphone to recognize the signal. Even though it shows solid green or a perfect cellphone connection to a tower, in this case the Airwave.

    OK, that's my story so far.

    If anyone has had success in hooking up an Airwave behind a router, would you please share how you got your setup to work!

    Rob

    PS I have read and re-read the instructions on Sprint Community Forum about how to do this and I have it all set right but it's not working for me. I'm wondering if this is a DNS issue?

    It's working perfectly as my router so far, so that works fine. It's just not able to work as a fem-tower for me!
    [SIZE="2"]Robert L Astoria Queens, N.Y.C

    - Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch! (SPH-D7110)
    - Asus TF300T
    - Nexus 7
    - Smartstick
    - MK808B

    - Previously WebOS Palm Pre (Sprint)
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi all,

    Newbie here, the Android site that is. Will be former WebOS user in just a couple of days.

    I'm waiting for my 'pre-order' on the Samsung Galaxy 2 Epic from Sprint.

    A few weeks ago, I had to replace my 2 year old Pre through insurance (I had to pay the $100 deductible). I was not yet ready to get a new phone. I was waiting until Sprint released a better phone and they did! The Samsung 2, I even think they will be releasing a few more, so I still have that 30 day option, but I'm told that I will love the Samsung and I will eventually love Android as well! So I am excited.

    Sorry, I got off topic!

    In getting my phone setup (I had a bad MSL code), I told the rep about my reception issues that I have been having for years and the promise of an antenna being added to my neighborhood but never happening. He then offered me the Airwave for free! I said yes of course.

    After about a week or two, he said they were back-ordered, I finally received one. It turns out it is the Airwave Access Point model shown on page one of this thread, the first post.

    However, I am having setup issues that Sprint just is not versed in alternative setups. They only offer setting up the Airwave as the first point after the modem (in my case a cable modem from Time Warner Cable in NYC).

    The Airwave becomes your router!

    I don't want it to be setup like that. I am on an Ooma phone system (it's a VoIP, just like Vonage but a lot cheap). The phone system unit is my router, not a great one but that's how it works best, you need to be able to do QOS.

    So I am looking for good instructions on how to hook it up 'behind' a router.

    For the time being, I have put my Ooma system behind the Airwave and just used the default settings that Sprint wants me to use. But that is not the best solution for me.

    I'm planning on getting another router, I tend to use Trendnet Wireless Routers, but I am going to try this Asus brand that someone said they got it to work with (the Airwave being behind that router).

    Its funny tonight I just finished moving the Airwave closer to a window, so the external antenna would reach. I had tested it near where my cable modem and the Ooma system are, but they are not near windows. So I had to move it so the external antenna wiring would be able to reach a window to get the GPS signal.

    But just now, after needing some information, I tried the *99 and it seems that even though all the lights on the Airwave are solid green, I'm not getting the cellphone to recognize the signal. Even though it shows solid green or a perfect cellphone connection to a tower, in this case the Airwave.

    OK, that's my story so far.

    If anyone has had success in hooking up an Airwave behind a router, would you please share how you got your setup to work!

    Rob

    PS I have read and re-read the instructions on Sprint Community Forum about how to do this and I have it all set right but it's not working for me. I'm wondering if this is a DNS issue?

    It's working perfectly as my router so far, so that works fine. It's just not able to work as a fem-tower for me!
    I have mine set up between my DSL modem and my old Linksys WRT54GS router, I didn't change a single setting on my router, everything's been working fine.

    I understand why you would want it behind your VOIP equipment so that phone call traffic always takes precedence, but that's the same reason they prefer you to set up the Airave in front of anything else, so that cellular call traffic takes precedence! Honestly, I doubt it's gonna matter unless you intend to place calls over your cell phone and VOIP phone simultaneously... Even then, it'd probably be fine unless you're on a low bandwidth connection.

    I'm on a paltry 3 meg connection and I use wifi all the time while on the phone and I've never noticed it hiccup, heck it was a 2 meg connection until a month ago... Not sure I can offer any advice for your other issues with getting it working tho, mine worked fine out of the box from day one and kept working even when I got the EVO 3D. Altho I think it might have interfered with the hands free activation, I had to call in and enter some numbers manually to activate the new phone.

    It almost sounds to me like your Airave doesn't have the Pre properly registered, cause if the lights show it's working then it absolutely should, so the Pre is clearly just not switching over for one reason or another
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Anyone know a way to force the phone to stay on the airrave? Mine sounds great on the airrave... then keeps switching to the almost-there tower signal and dropping calls. Even standing right by the airrave I can see it flip back and forth. It will not stay on the airrave if there is even a tiny regular signal coming through - it only flips to the full bars airrave signal when that other signal totally drops out.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by erinpac View Post
    Anyone know a way to force the phone to stay on the airrave? Mine sounds great on the airrave... then keeps switching to the almost-there tower signal and dropping calls. Even standing right by the airrave I can see it flip back and forth. It will not stay on the airrave if there is even a tiny regular signal coming through - it only flips to the full bars airrave signal when that other signal totally drops out.
    You know, mine does that when it's idle but whenever I place a call I get the three tones signaling it's on the Airave, and I never really get any dropped calls unless I go into the one room where even the Airave spent get me any decent signal. You could try placing you Airave higher up, maybe the phone considers the Airave's signal strength to be average so it keeps looking (the bars are far from an accurate indicator of what's actually going on).
  14. #64  
    dnaL0R#WN's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Exclamation Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    hi all,

    i just got my airave last week and i am having some troubles trying to make outgoing calls.

    i have a rooted evo 3d and that is my only line of service i have with sprint.

    incoming calls work just fine, when i pick up a call, i get the three beeps and the call quality is great.

    as for outgoing calls, the sounds are VERY distorted and it is unusable... the easiest way to explain it is to say it sounds like transformers.

    i've contacted tech support numerous times and have attempted many solution methods, but the problem is still there.

    also, since i am rooted, i cannot dial *99 to check on the airave status, just like how i cannot dial *2 to reach sprint customer service.

    anyone else experiencing similar issues or know of a solution? please let me know if you do.
    Thanked by:
  15. #65  
    jb12780's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    ROM
    Calkulin's ROM

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Quote Originally Posted by dnaL0R View Post
    hi all,

    i just got my airave last week and i am having some troubles trying to make outgoing calls.

    i have a rooted evo 3d and that is my only line of service i have with sprint.

    incoming calls work just fine, when i pick up a call, i get the three beeps and the call quality is great.

    as for outgoing calls, the sounds are VERY distorted and it is unusable... the easiest way to explain it is to say it sounds like transformers.

    i've contacted tech support numerous times and have attempted many solution methods, but the problem is still there.

    also, since i am rooted, i cannot dial *99 to check on the airave status, just like how i cannot dial *2 to reach sprint customer service.

    anyone else experiencing similar issues or know of a solution? please let me know if you do.
    My father is on the phone with Sprint right now...are you saying that rooted users will have issues with Airave? I ask because Im on a rooted Epic 4G Touch right now.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

    Default

    I have had rooted phones on my Airave without problems. The phones have gotten so good that I no longer need to root.

    If you use a stock ROM that lets you dial *99 to confirm coverage, or *2 to call sprint you should be OK.

    But in the end rooting is for fun. Airave is for service.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  17. #67  

    Default

    Just wanted to do my part by posting my experience with retention dept.
    First call, the fellow didn't seem interested in helping me, then transferred me
    to the sales dept. without telling me he was doing so, seeming to me, in hopes of frustrating my efforts. However, in thier defense, after declining utilization of the sales team (lol), I called the retenton dept. back directly, and the new rep. was more than helpful in providing the level of service I had been hoping for! I must say, I have learned that with sprint, or any company with whom you are having discrepancies regarding services, or... it is highly case, dept., and representative dependent in reference to results.
    Thanks for the help in achieving a favorable one!
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    I have a question for everyone, when you call do you threaten to cancel unless you get a free airrave or do you talk about how you are thinking about switching service due to poor reception? I think I will give this a shot as I get poor reception in my house but wanted to find out the best way to approach this. Thanks.
  19. #69  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    I did the latter I think, tbh you don't have to put much pressure on the rep to get it for free, just make sure you're calling the retentions department, they're very accommodating. I had one of my neighbors call recently and he just outright asked for the Airave, got it within the week.
  20. #70  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Airwave is great inside my house. I can't get my mail without dropping a call!
  21. #71  

    Default

    I just called Sprint to explain that neither my phone nor my wife's could hold a call in our new neighborhood and they offered me a free Airave without my even asking for it. Didn't have to speak to retentions, or threaten to cancel or anything like that. Great customer service experience, but the network problems are pretty serious. I'm in Charlotte, NC.
    aelizabethk98 likes this.
  22. #72  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    The bums wouldn't send me one.
    Sent a letter to Dan@Sprint.com

    Greetings,

    I recently had a bad experience with Sprint Customer Service. Mind you, it wasn't the initial customer service personnell that answered my call, it was the second "Problem Resolution" person that I spoke to regarding acquiring an "AirRave" device.

    My call was initially in regard to the lack of signal I have in my recently purchased home. We have been dealing with horrible reception for the past 2 years believing that our phones were just old and outdated. We have had friends come over with their phones on Verizon and AT&T who have had perfect reception and service. I decided today that enough was enough and this problem needed to be taken care of.

    I called in to customer service to report a low signal and the lady who answered the phonecall did her best to check coverage maps and told me that we have good coverage. The problem is, apparently, our home. I asked her if there is any way to get a signal into the home that wouldn't require extreme and costly modification. She told me that there is such a thing as an "AirRave" device that creates a signal in the user's home. I expressed happiness and gratitude as this device would allow my wife and I to use our phones in our new home.

    She forwarded me to the "Problem Resolution" area and said that they should be able to help me. The "Problem Resolution" personnel turned out to be sales and recommended I purchase the device at $120.00. Considering that I've been a loyal sprint customer for over 10 years, always pay early and pay over and my account is not an "At risk" accountI was shocked and appalled. I have it on good authority that these devices have been given to customers of lower standing to support their service/signal and considering my good standing and good name, I should not be the exception.

    I have tolerated many slights from this company over the years and remained a loyal customer. This is unacceptable and the straw that is breaking my back.

    If I cannot use your service while in my home, there is no logical reason to stay a loyal sprint customer when other providers can transmit indoors, underground, underwater and everywhere else.

    I would like to resolve this issue by being issued an "AirRave" device and remaining a loyal sprint customer with tenure.

    Thank you.



    V/R,
    *my name*
  23. #73  
    InMOtioN's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    ROM
    ViperRom/Genocide 1.2 oc

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Keep in mind the Airave MUST be properly installed in conjuction with a compatable cable modum from your cable tv provider.
    The Airave boosts the Sprint signal it receives off the air inside your home (same signal your phone receives) within a limited preset range.
    If the Sprint signal is so weak you can't make, receive, or hold calls, the Airave will be minimilly assistive.
    My 2700 sq ft single story home 8 miles SW of Atlanta's airport still is not an acceptable cellular service condition even with an Airave set up tweaked by Airave.
    .
    .
    InMOtioN
  24. #74  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,253 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    Let us know how it goes! I had an airave when I was with Sprint. Took sometime to get them to give me one but if you call enough they will crack and give you one. Just tell them that you plan on leaving! Worked for me and I had it for the last 2 years of my service with Sprint. When or if you leave Sprint they will ask for the tower back or charge you for it just so that you know. Its a fair deal if you ask me!
  25. #75  

    Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

    AirRave sounds great. But how will this help on my phoen signal while I drive to work..or while I am at work. and on my drive home. I am tired of living in a large city and having poor Sprint service. I been with them since 2004 and its taken a turn for the worst over the last 12 month. I keep hearing the promise of LTE but that is not a guarantee that the service will be any better.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions