Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

Just got off a call with Sprint. I'll be receiving mine by Friday. Note that the phone number listed in the OP is no longer in service.

Quote Originally Posted by Guian View Post
    Just got off a call with Sprint. I'll be receiving mine by Friday. Note that the phone number listed in the OP is no longer in service.
    Then what number did you use? Share please.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vail-Pak 3.2

I have an airwave an have had nothing but issues have had 3 different ones and my phones still don't get good service I usually have to make the call using WiFi calling so yeah it's been nothing but an issue

I've have Airaves for ages and have loved them.

I'm assuming that Sprint will start promoting WiFi calling more and give them out less, but WiFi calling doesn't help improve battery life since your phone is still looking for a signal. Perhaps you can disable mobile data?

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

If you stop using your airave does sprint see that and will demand it back/charge you for not using it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyer8493 View Post
    If you stop using your airave does sprint see that and will demand it back/charge you for not using it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    If you got it for free yes. They'll charge you for it if you don't use it for an extended period of time without sending it back.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    If you got it for free yes. They'll charge you for it if you don't use it for an extended period of time without sending it back.

I was hoping to hold onto it as sort of a backup. Where I live there is a tower near my house so I normally get great coverage but every now and then it goes out for a day or 2. Will they at least warn me first before billing me?

Why do I have a free airave you are probably wondering? Cause for a while I wasn't getting calls and texts at home despite having good coverage so they sent me this thing. I'm pretty sure the cs rep was just sick of me calling and complaining about it so she sent me this airave, but my tower seems to be working normally now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I was hoping to hold onto it as sort of a backup. Where I live there is a tower near my house so I normally get great coverage but every now and then it goes out for a day or 2. Will they at least warn me first before billing me?

Why do I have a free airave you are probably wondering? Cause for a while I wasn't getting calls and texts at home despite having good coverage so they sent me this thing. I'm pretty sure the cs rep was just sick of me calling and complaining about it so she sent me this airave, but my tower seems to be working normally now.

I'd check with them so you don't get charged.. Or at least plug it in and leave it on for a few hours every week or so prevent them from thinking you're not using it... If you wanted to keep it as a backup.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by InMOtioN View Post
    Keep in mind the Airave MUST be properly installed in conjuction with a compatable cable modum from your cable tv provider.
    The Airave boosts the Sprint signal it receives off the air inside your home (same signal your phone receives) within a limited preset range.
    If the Sprint signal is so weak you can't make, receive, or hold calls, the Airave will be minimilly assistive.
    My 2700 sq ft single story home 8 miles SW of Atlanta's airport still is not an acceptable cellular service condition even with an Airave set up tweaked by Airave.
    That second part is not AT ALL accurate. The Airave doesn't depend AT ALL on local cell signal and it doesn't boost anything whatsoever. It's just a femtocell, it creates it's own cell network in your home but routes EVERYTHING over your own broadband connection. You can have zero cell service and it'll work, if it isn't working for ya then either the Airave's own signal isn't propagating throughout your home or it's not properly configured.

FWIW, mine has been unplugged since December (possibly Thanksgiving, I forget) and I haven't gotten any warnings or extra charges whatsoever. I also got mine totally for free and I've even swapped phones since then (EVO LTE to a Nexus 5 bought at Play store, but I did have to call them to activate it and the Airave was never mentioned).

Why have I had it unplugged for so long? Well, we were doing some home renovations and it was in the way, not to mention our DSL had been acting up a lot making the Airave borderline useless. Plus LTE and general voice coverage had actually improved a lot around here towards the second half of last year, so the Airave wasn't quite as essential anymore.

I still don't get a strong signal towards the back end of the house tho, and it seems at least one of the nearby towers has been flaky (I noticed quick because our DSL still sucks so I've been using LTE a lot in the house)... So I've been meaning to hook it back up. Using the Airave for voice calls works fine even with mediocre DSL speeds (<2mbps).

I wanted to connect it at the other end of the house tho (where I have a Gigabit switch that patches back to the main router), rather than the central location it was at before, and I wanted to put a UPS there while I was at it but I just haven't gotten around to it. If I have any trouble re - activating it I'll let ya know, I don't really expect any though.

I haven't moved, tho I did change phones and routers but I doubt that matters. BTW, I've had it hooked up before and after my router in the past and it didn't make any difference for me; i.e. DSL modem > Airave > WRT54GS router VS modem > router > Airave. The way it'll go soon will be DSL modem (hopefully fiber soon) > ASUS RT-AC68U router > 5-port Netgear Gigabit switch > Airave... My desktop will be on the same switch.
    Last edited by Impulses; 06-16-2014 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    That second part is not AT ALL accurate. The Airave doesn't depend AT ALL on local cell signal and it doesn't boost anything whatsoever. It's just a femtocell, it creates it's own cell network in your home but routes EVERYTHING over your own broadband connection. You can have zero cell service and it'll work, if it isn't working for ya then either the Airave's own signal isn't propagating throughout your home or it's not properly configured.
    You're quoting a 2 year old post.... Back then it may have been an older airave that did depend on a signal... But yes the airave 2.0 doesn't need a cell signal since it uses the broadband Internet for its connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    You're quoting a 2 year old post.... Back then it may have been an older airave that did depend on a signal... But yes the airave 2.0 doesn't need a cell signal since it uses the broadband Internet for its connection.

All Airaves worked the same way, only difference was the earliest ones didn't create a 3G femtocell (but if you have broadband for the Airave you really oughta be using wifi for data anyway). I realize it's an old post, but I was also replying to a much more recent one (about being charged for disuse, or not) so I figured I'd address that too, bad information has a habit of spreading like a plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    All Airaves worked the same way, only difference was the earliest ones didn't create a 3G femtocell (but if you have broadband for the Airave you really oughta be using wifi for data anyway). I realize it's an old post, but I was also replying to a much more recent one (about being charged for disuse, or not) so I figured I'd address that too, bad information has a habit of spreading like a plague.
    Ah okay .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234