Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Question!

couldn't you just add a line to your contract then after you have the phone you want simply change the line to a small minimal monthly service like an 5/month airrave or a 20/month hot spot?

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

ROM
    euroskank cm10 kangs

Default Re: How to Upgrade Your Sprint Phone Every Year

A bit on the shadier side, and I see this only briefly mentioned in one post on this thread.. but when Sprint changes the terms of the contract, you have the right to get out of your contracts. I did this in Sept 2011 (administrative fee) and March 2012 (discount change). Just port out to Tracfone and port back in on new lines. You even get $100-125 per line for port-in credit!

If there's no phone of interest at the time that you have to cancel and rejoin, just activate a new contract with your existing phone and you'll be upgrade-eligible.

If you feel even more daring, phones are cheaper on new lines compared to upgrades, from third-party retailers (and Sprint on occasional promotions.) Depending on the profitability, you could buy and sell the phone, then when you want your new phone, port out, use the money to pay for the ETF, buy your new phone/line at new customer price, and port back in (and get port-in credit). Warning though, most 3rd-party retailers have an additional 6-month ETF, but some (Amazon Wireless) don't have one for Sprint.

Note that this only "works" for family plans, as you need an active line to keep the account alive, and if you close the last line, you can't be considered a new customer for 45 days.

With this, an Airave upgrade, and Sprint Premier, I've obtained new customer price 7 times since I joined Sprint 2 years 3 months ago. Another Airave upgrade will come around again in January.
    Thanked by:

Hey rwong, you actually used an Airave line for an upgrade recently? I was beginning to think they had closed that loophole since no one ever mentions it anymore... I know I read somewhere that you can't do it directly with Sprint anymore but that 3rd parties still work, how'd you do yours?

To add to the confusion my Airave "line" is actually free since I got the device entirely for free from the retentions department, so I dunno if there's a contract to renew there for upgrades... My Airave line has been flagged as available for an upgrade ever since the day I got it. Lately I noticed the date that's listed since it's been available for upgrade is actualling rolling over every month to the first of that month, dunno if that means anything either.

Anyway, another genuinely legit way to get an upgrade right now is a buyout program they're currently running where you just pay to buy out your contract and/or reset the upgrade date. The amount you pay depends on how long it's been since your last renewal, I know 12-15 months is $165 and 9-12 is $125. Not entirely a free upgrade, as it were, but it beats the heck out of paying full price for a new phone.

I actually went ahead and did this in preparation for the new EVO... A little earlier than necessary but I wouldn't be under 12 months until August anyway and I want the new EVO when it comes out, I was scared they might kill this promo off too... Maybe I should've tried the Airave line shuffle first tho?

IIRC you just upgrade the Airave line online at like a Best Buy and then ask them not to activate the phone in store? Thus activating it on your own line at home? Is that how it's still done or what?

ROM
    euroskank cm10 kangs

Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    Hey rwong, you actually used an Airave line for an upgrade recently? I was beginning to think they had closed that loophole since no one ever mentions it anymore... I know I read somewhere that you can't do it directly with Sprint anymore but that 3rd parties still work, how'd you do yours?
    It was May 2011, dunno if that's too far.

To add to the confusion my Airave "line" is actually free since I got the device entirely for free from the retentions department, so I dunno if there's a contract to renew there for upgrades... My Airave line has been flagged as available for an upgrade ever since the day I got it. Lately I noticed the date that's listed since it's been available for upgrade is actualling rolling over every month to the first of that month, dunno if that means anything either.
    Mine was completely free also, and it got an upgrade in 6 months (LOL). I signed a 2-year contract for it too (which got nulled from the administrative fee changes). The upgrade day counter keeps going down.

IIRC you just upgrade the Airave line online at like a Best Buy and then ask them not to activate the phone in store? Thus activating it on your own line at home? Is that how it's still done or what?
    Sprint very well knew what they were doing, and it was my friend doing it for me as well. She said that for upgrade transactions, you must activate and then swap everything around, there's no way around it. I wouldn't call it a definitive answer though.

I'll probably use this upgrade I paid for thru the buy out, it'd be silly to waste it and do the Airave now, but I'd still like to know about the latter for future reference.

All in all the buy out is not a bad option tho, selling your phone or even trading it in at Sprint nets you at the very least $100 which pays for most of the buy out fee... So at worst you end up paying just slightly more than the standard upgrade cost for the new phone. This year there's also that $50 discount promo Best Buy was doing so it sweetens the deal a bit, altho there's tax and Sprint's recently raised activation fee ($36) to take into account.

A lot of online stores will often waive activation (and possibly not charge taxes) so it's worth taking that into account too, altho I guess if you do the math it's mostly a wash unless you also manage to get a discount on the phone itself when buying online (compared to BB's $50-off, since tax + activation would be $36+$14).

Quote Originally Posted by lds710 View Post
    Im thinking of canceling a line with 10 months of contract left and paying etf then getting a epic touch from amazon for 100.00 I think to cancell is 100 and trying to keep number by tranfering to a cheap prepaid. Is this going to work that simply or am i missing a step. Some advice would be appreciated
    I just did something similar to this. Call Sprint and buy out your contract. I had 10 months left and it cost me $85. Your phone will still work, you don't need to worry about keeping the number. You can then go wherever to get your new phone. In my case, I had bought from Best Buy and had the buy back program. I got $225 for trading in my EVO (More than I had paid for it). I am a fan of the buy back program for cell phones, but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Here is how mine worked out:

$85 to buy out contract
    $225 credit for trading in Evo phone
    $150 for Epic 4G Touch

Out of pocket cost for new phone 14 months into contract - $10

ROM
    Stock 3D, CM 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by jpeterson View Post
    One option is forgotten by many is the great bounus that you can get as a Sprint Business Customer. If you have a business of anysort you can set-up your account with Sprint as a business customer. You can even have access to the "Family" plans if you only need up to 5 lines. The pluses are that your contract is only 1 year and ALL lines qualify for a yearly update at the new contract price.

My wife and I are on the 1500 Family Everything plan and qualify for updates every year. With our 25% corporate discount, taxes, fee's and insurance we are paying $130.00 per month. The only draw back I've found are Google Voice integration is not avaliable and the "Sprint Family Locator" is not avaliable. Other than that I'm not having to deal with the worry about upgrading.
    How do you switch to a business customer?? My wife and I are already on the 1500 Everything with a 25% discount so I wouldn't want to change plans, but my business pays for the phone anyhow so this makes sense to do.

the airave trick doesnt work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bnrbranding View Post
    How do you switch to a business customer?? My wife and I are already on the 1500 Everything with a 25% discount so I wouldn't want to change plans, but my business pays for the phone anyhow so this makes sense to do.
    I just read that the business plans can't have discounts associated with them. Can you let me know when you started it and where it indicates 1 year upgrades? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Ok so i only read the first page but I have to say something about the BB buyback program as it was when this thread started. I spent 29.99 to get it when I bought my Epic touch. After 11 months using my wifes upgrade I took the epic in and got 280.00 for that phone pkus the 50.00 rebate on the new phone and they honored the amazon price at 149.00. You csn do the math, they paid me to get a new phone. I ended up with a 2nd upgrade due to sprints screw up and got a second S3 for my wife 2 weeks later. For some reason when I upgraded my phone Sprint dud not remove my upgrade. I even called them to make sure it was still ok and they said it was. So 280.00 plus 50.00 = 330.00 minus 300.00 equals about even after tax for two S3's all due to the Best Buy buy back program. Best Buy has now changed it so it is not as good as it was but man did I make out well with it.
    Thanked by:
    sndplace likes this.

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

My friend just had to pay the $350 ETF to get out of her contract. I have until July 1 left on my contract, about 8 months, and was considering dumping Sprint (after 12 years, Sprint -- if you're reading this and you care) and moving to Verizon or US Cell. I'm tired of waiting for decent 4G. Some of you have said you " buy out your contract" - is that different from the ETF?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfarm View Post
    My friend just had to pay the $350 ETF to get out of her contract. I have until July 1 left on my contract, about 8 months, and was considering dumping Sprint (after 12 years, Sprint -- if you're reading this and you care) and moving to Verizon or US Cell. I'm tired of waiting for decent 4G. Some of you have said you " buy out your contract" - is that different from the ETF?
    Its pretty much the same thing. You buy out the remaining time. Make sure if you want your same number you ask if you can keep it. You may have to switch to the new carrier first with the number them pay off the ETF from Sprint. For some people 4G is a big thing and waiting awhile longer may not be a good thing for you if data is bad where you live. Good luck

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

Anyone know the sero number to upgrade to a new phone?

Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Anyone know the sero number to upgrade to a new phone?
    I dont but i can tell you, when you call jsut ask to be connected to employee accounts, they transfer you right over.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12