Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to Upgrade Your Sprint Phone Every Year

Many Sprint users used to be able to upgrade every year. Now the Premier program is going away, what can you do?

Option 1: Share an upgrade from another line or from a friend, then swap phones.

Option 2: Call the Sprint Retention Department at (877)775-4886. Be polite. Ask what your Early Termination Fee (ETF) will be if you cancel and go to another carrier. Can you open a new line and cancel this existing line and pay the EFT? Tell them that you would like a new phone. Tell them if your old phone is having problems. Ask if you could pay the EFT and stay with Sprint instead of leaving.

Option 3: The Best Buy Buy Back program may be right for you but Consumer Reports says don't do it.

Option 4: Bight the bullet and buy the new phone outright as many here do. Some suggest Wirefly, eBay, or Craig's List then sell your old phone. Also ask Sprint, Best Buy and Radio Shack what they will pay for your old phone. Your out of pocket expense may not be that much more than just buying a phone on contract.

Follow the Backup, Restore or Transfer instructions on how to backup Apps, Photos, Contacts, Call log, Bookmarks, Texts, Settings, Home Screens (including shortcut positions), Alarms, Dictionary, Playlists, etc. to tranfer to the new phone. Also, Android may not backup free apps or any app settings unless you know the tricks. See the Getting Started for more tips.

Any other ideas? Post them here!
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards — Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Thanked by 4:
    sndplace, crump84 and satySarika like this.
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Re: How to Upgrade Your Sprint Phone Every Year

Avoid BB like the plague. eBay ftw.
    Thanked by:
    milominderbinde likes this.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

lol @the Miz .... I Agree lol That buy back program sounds like a good idea but then you see how they put it together and like what no way. RS gave you 100 bucks for a EVO 1 year old to get yourself a new phone. I know this is not a poll vote but Option 2 and 4 are the best way to go IMO...

Another choice is to know someone with a upgrade 1 year after you and have use theirs to get your next phone. this way you can give them yours and you both when. Just make sure you get yourself a new one so when you exchange that person will have a new phone too.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

For Option 2.......do you switch to the higher plan around the 9 month mark?

If you are in a qualified plan for months 1, 2 and 3 and get Gold, can you then drop down and keep the Gold or will they switch you to Silver.

Im pretty sure it has to be done towards the last 3 months but wanted to double check.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    Avoid BB like the plague. eBay ftw.
    Thanks.

I added verbiage to make that more clear. Great feedback. Thanks!

Option 3: The Best Buy Buy Back program may be right for you but Consumer Reports says don't do it. Read the small print. Many users here say avoid it.
    Keep the ideas coming. Let's make this great.
    — Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by sndplace View Post
    lol @the Miz .... I Agree lol That buy back program sounds like a good idea but then you see how they put it together and like what no way. RS gave you 100 bucks for a EVO 1 year old to get yourself a new phone. I know this is not a poll vote but Option 2 and 4 are the best way to go IMO...

Another choice is to know someone with a upgrade 1 year after you and have use theirs to get your next phone. this way you can give them yours and you both when. Just make sure you get yourself a new one so when you exchange that person will have a new phone too.
    I fleshed out the Option 2 about Best Buy and added Option 5 as you noted:
    Option 5: Share an upgrade from another line or from a friend, then swap phones. In a year, share your upgrade with the other person and swap again..
    Thankts! Keeps the ideas coming!
    — Milo

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post

If you are in a qualified plan for months 1, 2 and 3 and get Gold, can you then drop down and keep the Gold or will they switch you to Silver.

Im pretty sure it has to be done towards the last 3 months but wanted to double check.
    Heh, I think you're over-thinking it... To qualify for Premier Gold you just have to be on the higher tier plan for three months, so just switch over around the 9 month mark if you KNOW you'll want to upgrade after a year for sure. In the past the mail-in rebates could've added some complexity (possibly requiring you to stay on the higher tier plan for an extra 4th month), but with the current instant rebates it's cake.

Once you've got your phone just switch back to your old plan, which Sprint allows you to do at any time w/o any penalty (you'll of course revert back to Premier Silver at that point). You have to plan this out a little tho, if you wait around until you're on your 16th month or later to change plans you might as well just wait until the contract ends (because the upgrade wouldn't kick in until the 19th).

There's nothing saying you can't swap plans at 10th, 11th, or 12th months tho, if you're just not sure about an upgrade when you're still on your 8th or 9th. Say for instance you were doing this now but weren't sure about the EVO 3D or wanted to wait for the Photon, you could've just swap plans in June and be eligible for an upgrade in September.

Regarding OPTION 4, even if you decide to bite the bullet and buy the phone out of contract, you should never have to pay the full off-contract price on Sprint if you're buying it after the 12 month mark of your contract. Even though Sprint removed the full-upgrade option for Premier Silver, they still left in a $75 discount on new phones that's available at any point after being on-contract for 12 months.

So if you bought an EVO 4G last summer and decided to explore ANY other avenues today, at wort the EVO 3D would cost full price - $75 (so like $450-75 = $375, or was the off-contract price $500?). You're of course renewing your contract for this discount but it just resets your date, doesn't stack it, you could also renew for just 1 year for a measly $25 discount.

Also, Sprint's trade-in program seems to be as good as any of the 3rd party retailers... They're STILL (as of today) offering $150 for used EVO 4Gs, even tho they're selling it for $99 on new contracts, crazy. Not only that, but if you get a price quote online, you can lock in the quoted price for 45 days which comes in very handy for those of us watching several new phones while fearing the trade-in value of our existing phone will suddenly drop.

Personally I think $150 for my year old phone is just great, they're not selling for much more than $200 on Ebay (for a variety of reasons) and that's more of a hassle. Worth noting also that you can do this by mail or in-store, and if you do it in-store the credit can be applied towards a new phone rather than towards your account balance.

Regarding OPTION 5, there's an extra sub-option available for Airave owners that's closely related to this... As you may know, the Airave appears on your account as a sort of 2dary line, and a lot of people have been able to eke out an upgrade out of this line at Best Buy or Radio Shack (even on Airaves they're not paying for since they were given out by the Retentions Dpt after complaining about bad signal at home).

I've read reports of people being able to do this both online and in-store, they just fill in the info for their Airave line and ask the store employee to not activate the device (otherwise it messes up the setup of your devices and you then have to call Sprint to straighten it out). It's probably the sketchiest options of all but it's worth trying I guess, I might give it a shot next year. It will definitely not work if you try to do it directly thru Sprint tho since their system is smarter than that (didn't use to be tho).

Another option that has been offered to some i(by the Retentions Dpt.) s to buy out their contract, which is basically equivalent to paying the ETF as if you were canceling the contract... Your upgrade date is then reset. If you've been on-contract between 12 and 16 months it can be cheaper to buy out (the ETF shrinks the longer you stay on contract) than to pay full price outright, tho with the $75 discount it's pretty close either way.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post

Nice. I added that to Option 2.
    — Milo

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
    Regarding OPTION 5, there's an extra sub-option available for Airave owners that's closely related to this... As you may know, the Airave appears on your account as a sort of 2dary line, and a lot of people have been able to eke out an upgrade out of this line at Best Buy or Radio Shack (even on Airaves they're not paying for since they were given out by the Retentions Dpt after complaining about bad signal at home).

I've read reports of people being able to do this both online and in-store, they just fill in the info for their Airave line and ask the store employee to not activate the device (otherwise it messes up the setup of your devices and you then have to call Sprint to straighten it out). It's probably the sketchiest options of all but it's worth trying I guess, I might give it a shot next year. It will definitely not work if you try to do it directly thru Sprint tho since their system is smarter than that (didn't use to be tho).

Another option that has been offered to some i(by the Retentions Dpt.) s to buy out their contract, which is basically equivalent to paying the ETF as if you were canceling the contract... Your upgrade date is then reset. If you've been on-contract between 12 and 16 months it can be cheaper to buy out (the ETF shrinks the longer you stay on contract) than to pay full price outright, tho with the $75 discount it's pretty close either way.
    This is interesting... So I assume the Airwave comes with a Number in the system or something that shows it as a phone not a Airwave.

When you cancel your contract and pay the ETF this will help in one way but can hurt you in another
    way, Your account will change and your start date will also. so you will not be able to reach 10 year status. If you had two lines this would be a good option since your premier line will stay active. you can do this with ur second line. If not reaching your 10yr status is important to you then this will be a great alternative
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

...Another option that has been offered to some i(by the Retentions Dpt.) s to buy out their contract, which is basically equivalent to paying the ETF as if you were canceling the contract... Your upgrade date is then reset. If you've been on-contract between 12 and 16 months it can be cheaper to buy out (the ETF shrinks the longer you stay on contract) than to pay full price outright, tho with the $75 discount it's pretty close either way.
    I added that as Option 6.

Thanks!
    — Milo

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts

I have an Airave line on my account and when I went online, it asked me which device I wanted to upgrade.. If I choose the Airave, it tells me that an upgrade is available for that line BUT I need to call customer service in order to get the discount.. So my guess is that they added an extra step for verification to make sure someone wasn't utilizing an upgrade discount improperly.

One option is forgotten by many is the great bounus that you can get as a Sprint Business Customer. If you have a business of anysort you can set-up your account with Sprint as a business customer. You can even have access to the "Family" plans if you only need up to 5 lines. The pluses are that your contract is only 1 year and ALL lines qualify for a yearly update at the new contract price.

My wife and I are on the 1500 Family Everything plan and qualify for updates every year. With our 25% corporate discount, taxes, fee's and insurance we are paying $130.00 per month. The only draw back I've found are Google Voice integration is not avaliable and the "Sprint Family Locator" is not avaliable. Other than that I'm not having to deal with the worry about upgrading.
    Thanked by:

I'm thinking about upgrading to Epic Touch but only been on contract a year. I'm confused a little. Some say BB might be easiest to get the discounted price. Reading here says no. So either buying off contract or upgrading plan is the only way? No friends to swap with. Help. Anyone know how much they offering for buyback of original Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I have an Airave line on my account and when I went online, it asked me which device I wanted to upgrade.. If I choose the Airave, it tells me that an upgrade is available for that line BUT I need to call customer service in order to get the discount.. So my guess is that they added an extra step for verification to make sure someone wasn't utilizing an upgrade discount improperly.
    Sprint added extra safeguards to prevent that, stores like Best Buy or RS haven't.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Xbbfan73 View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading to Epic Touch but only been on contract a year. I'm confused a little. Some say BB might be easiest to get the discounted price. Reading here says no. So either buying off contract or upgrading plan is the only way? No friends to swap with. Help. Anyone know how much they offering for buyback of original Epic?
    First call the retentions department and see if they'll help you out, it's the easiest way, specially since a recent change in contracts gives people a change to get out of them until the end of month (puts them under the gun to entice people to renew). As for the buy back price, check online, google sprint buy back. They've got a site set up for it, the EVO 4G recently dropped from $150 to $125.

I waited too long to trade my EVO 4G in but did get a free upgrade from retentions, so all in my EVO 3D only cost me $55. $180 @ Wirefly - $125 buy back for the old one. Also got an Airave for free.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sndplace View Post
    This is interesting... So I assume the Airwave comes with a Number in the system or something that shows it as a phone not a Airwave.

When you cancel your contract and pay the ETF this will help in one way but can hurt you in another
    way, Your account will change and your start date will also. so you will not be able to reach 10 year status. If you had two lines this would be a good option since your premier line will stay active. you can do this with ur second line. If not reaching your 10yr status is important to you then this will be a great alternative
    The Airave is assigned a number that shows up in your account, like a telephone number even tho it isn't really.

That's a good point about canceling btw, glad I didn't have to go that route... Altho when retentions themselves offers you the option I don't think they process it like an actual cancellation, dunno, could be they don't and it still screws with your 10 year counter.

Some of these tips just got whole lot more relevant with Sprint killing Premiere (while others just became useless)... I'm hoping I can get one upgrade out of my Airave next year before Sprint cracks down on that, something tells me the Ice Cream Sandwich Nexus might make start looking away from my EVO 3D with envy, heh. On the other hand this will revive the market for used Sprint phones, if you still wanna upgrade yearly it's not a big deal to sell your old phone for $200+ and buy the new one out of contract. It's not like we're losing something that any other carrier actually still has... Now if they ever take unlimited data away, I'll probably start looking around again, cause for a discount on my bill alone I won't stay.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Just called Sprint CCare and Retentions, and this is what I have learned:

Neither CCare or Retentions could give me the upgrade right now.

CCare said the date of the upgrade cannot be changed at all, although they used to be able to key in a different date up until a few months ago. Retentions said they could push the date up to a max of 14 days (2 weeks) before the normal upgrade date, but anything beyond that would be impossible as the system will not allow them to.

I took the 14 days break offered by retentions, as it seems thats the best they can do. Now my upgrade is a month away, rather than a month and a half. I guess its better than nothing.

I asked about the Airrave line, too. They told me in CC and Retentions that the Airrave line cannot be upgraded, even though at first glance the system says it is. They said that if they did try and perform a phone upgrade on that line, the order would get slapped down later on once it is discovered the line is for an Airrave.

I mentioned that I keep getting calls from Sprint Sales telling me I can/should upgrade the "phone" on this line. I was told that the sales reps are unable to see that it is an Airrave line at this point - all they can see is an extra phone line and are blind as to the type of device it is.
    Last edited by thesmj; 09-18-2011 at 06:52 PM.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by jpeterson View Post
    One option is forgotten by many is the great bounus that you can get as a Sprint Business Customer. If you have a business of anysort you can set-up your account with Sprint as a business customer. You can even have access to the "Family" plans if you only need up to 5 lines. The pluses are that your contract is only 1 year and ALL lines qualify for a yearly update at the new contract price.

My wife and I are on the 1500 Family Everything plan and qualify for updates every year. With our 25% corporate discount, taxes, fee's and insurance we are paying $130.00 per month. The only draw back I've found are Google Voice integration is not avaliable and the "Sprint Family Locator" is not avaliable. Other than that I'm not having to deal with the worry about upgrading.
    I did not know about this one. Has anyone else done this?
    — Milo

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Option 5: Share an upgrade from another line or from a friend, then swap phones. In a year, share your upgrade with the other person and swap again.
    Can someone please explain this option!!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    Can someone please explain this option!!
    Sure.

Say you have two lines, Line A is due for a 20 month upgrade and Line B is not and you want to upgrade Line B. So upgrade Line A then swap the phone numbers.

By the way the opening post is updated to reflect that the Sprint Premier Program is no longer an option for most.
    — Milo

Definitely eBay.

ROM
    Tiamat

Im thinking of canceling a line with 10 months of contract left and paying etf then getting a epic touch from amazon for 100.00 I think to cancell is 100 and trying to keep number by tranfering to a cheap prepaid. Is this going to work that simply or am i missing a step. Some advice would be appreciated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast