Atrix vs Atrix 2 which would you pick?

cpatel112

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the OG Atrix. I love it. Would I upgrade to Atrix 2, not at all. There is only a better screen, better (more megapixel) camera, no fingerprint scanner, smaller battery, no true 4G, same processor.

Why bother with this phone. If the OG Atrix is cheaper go with that or wait for Nexus.

A true successor would be Kal-El processor clocked at 1.5 maybe even 2. Fingerprint scanner. I could care less about camera. Better battery or power management. And ice cream sandwich.

Personally next phone for me would be quad-core or nexus.

cpatel112

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that's just silly. Quad-core is barely utilized on desktops. Rather see a big bump in speed than more cores right now.

As fast pace as everything is. I know it is not practical nor are desktops utilized on quad-core. But Atrix 2...can it really be called a successor? I'm sure it is a good phone just like the OG. There are devices clocked at 1.2 and 1.5(maybe). If anything I would truly love to see better battery.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I have to decide between the Atrix2 and the iPhone 4S. iPhone looks good but I like the larger screen, ability to add extended battery, and Motorola seems to grab signals better than the iPhones. Decisions, Decisions.

dregz54

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I purchased Atrix1 6 days ago, and I have 14 days for return or replace. I'm thinking of replacing Atrix1 with Atrix2 mainly for the better camera and wider screen. Will it be a wise decision? or should I just stick with Atrix1 since I'm happy even with 4" screen.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
so it appears that Atrix 2 has no tegra processor after all.... although it looks pretty snappy on the videos.. thats prolly because of improved motoblur... Why couldn't they put that motoblur on original Atrix with gingerbread update...... this is ridiculous...

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I won't upgrade to this slightly-downgraded-phone, unless Moto got their act together and fixed the plethora of hardware issues from the original Atrix which I still use daily. Mainly: The chipset used for the mobile signal and wifi signals.

i1der

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
definitely not for me. I strongly believe that display size for smartphones should be no more than 4. There's been numerous discussions and articles about it and why it is inefficient to operate with one hand with a 4.3 or bigger displays. Aside of that fact, the Atrix 2 will have slightly bumped specs but again, not significant enough to consider it if you already own Atrix 1 and as I understand its NOT going to be an LTE phone. so I'm definitely skipping it. SGSII is a more appealing choice but then again I'm happy with what I have now and if I need a bigger screen I have my Ipad 2 with me.

Worst point of view ever, who hold a phone with their palms? When i do is for reaching the devise with my other hand. Whatever works for you right, i see more people switching for bigger phones, and that is the exactly reason why, Bigger screens!:D

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the OG Atrix. I love it. Would I upgrade to Atrix 2, not at all. There is only a better screen, better (more megapixel) camera, no fingerprint scanner, smaller battery, no true 4G, same processor.

Why bother with this phone. If the OG Atrix is cheaper go with that or wait for Nexus.

A true successor would be Kal-El processor clocked at 1.5 maybe even 2. Fingerprint scanner. I could care less about camera. Better battery or power management. And ice cream sandwich.

Personally next phone for me would be quad-core or nexus.

The processor is not the same. The new processor is a Texas Instruments 1Ghz dual core. No longer Tegra 2. I think the Tegra 2 is what lead to all the complaints of the device heating up. I know when I played the Tegra 2 games my phone got really hot!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
For ppl that got the Atrix 1 at launch, this could be a nice upgrade. I believe overall the OMAP 4 is better than Tegra 2 for phones. I dont really hear complaints from tablet owners that have a Tegra 2.

For whatever reason Motorola didnt use Tegra 2 for the Droid 3 or Bionic.

About phone, screen size....on my Droid 1 I barely use it one handed...and thats a smaller phone. I use both hands for most tasks for more support:

Playing games, better to me using both hands with one supporting the phone.
Typing, better to me using both hands with one supporting the phone.
Netflix, games, videos, web browsing are all better on a bigger screen IMO. Whenever I try to go back to my Droid 1 from my Droid X, the Droid 1 seems so small. Playing HR Battle 3D on both phones, I prefer it much more on my Droid X.

When using the phone in landscape mode....you'll need both hands unless you have really, really long fingers...lol The only time I use it one handed alot is to swipe the notification shade or unlocking the phone. The ONLY time one handed use bothered me was with the notification shade. The amount of times I use it one handed are so few one-handed use is a non factor for me. I think if more ppl really paid attention, they would be surprised how little they use their phones one handed.

rquinn19

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
When using the phone in landscape mode....you'll need both hands unless you have really, really long fingers...lol The only time I use it one handed alot is to swipe the notification shade or unlocking the phone. The ONLY time one handed use bothered me was with the notification shade. The amount of times I use it one handed are so few one-handed use is a non factor for me. I think if more ppl really paid attention, they would be surprised how little they use their phones one handed.

One handed use -> people texting and driving which shouldn't be done anyways...if you must use a big device one handed then swype's the answer anyways

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
^That makes alot of sense....and since I dont text n drive I woulda never noticed that. But...I've seen ppl doing that on a Droid X, I was gonna say I dont know how they managed it but it had Swype...

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I like the new atrix.but its really not a big step from the first so I don't think ill be getting that.Also it took devs quite a while to unlock the bootloader on the O.G Atrix so I bet it will take a while with the new one as well.I love my Atrix despite all the complaints I read here and on xda mine works flawlessly or pretty damn close to flawless.I don't have battery drain issues or overheating I'm on the phone all day and I get well over 10 hours and I go online youtube play some games txt alot and more but it handles very well.I hope motorola gives us a nicer device soon.The only thing I'm jealous of is not having any software upgrade sine 2.3.4 which is a bummer.....well I'm.real.glad to see how many ppl are chipping into this thread ..

godric317

May 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as the screen goes on the Atrix 2, yes, it is bigger. But, it has the same pixel count as the OG Atrix' 4" screen, so picture quality will actually go down ever so slightly on the 4.3" screen.

"And the screen has been stretched to 4.3 inches from the original Atrix's 4 inches. While more screen real estate is good, they both have 960x540 pixels, which means pixel density will actually be worse on the new bigger screen."

Aside from that, the differences are negligible. Personally I love the fingerprint scanner, and the camera takes pretty good pics already. I would like to have 1080p video, but soon enough I guess. So I'm staying put. Plus I'm only about 6 months into my contract....

rav3nous

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
actually they say it will have 500k more pixels.

As far as the screen goes on the Atrix 2, yes, it is bigger. But, it has the same pixel count as the OG Atrix' 4" screen, so picture quality will actually go down ever so slightly on the 4.3" screen.

"And the screen has been stretched to 4.3 inches from the original Atrix's 4 inches. While more screen real estate is good, they both have 960x540 pixels, which means pixel density will actually be worse on the new bigger screen."

Aside from that, the differences are negligible. Personally I love the fingerprint scanner, and the camera takes pretty good pics already. I would like to have 1080p video, but soon enough I guess. So I'm staying put. Plus I'm only about 6 months into my contract....

Actually they say it will have 500k more pixels.

rquinn19

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
At that resolution the screen size change won't make a difference and many people might welcome it. It's like having a 22" 1080p monitor and going to a 24" 1080p.

Now my SGS2 is driving me nuts at times. Liked the Atrix 2 pentile display much better. Could care less about the Super Amoled+ "gimmick". Can't even take a good picture with the camera because once you look at it on a normal screen it looks so different.