Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Worst Launch Ever.

I have gone to three ATT stores and two best buys, nobody has this phone. If I was Motorola, I would be pissed.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Default Re: Worst Launch Ever.

Wow, I am coming over here from the webOS side, and I see that hp is not the only one who can screw up what should have been an exciting launch!

This looks like one of the most appealing of the newer (4G) android devices. I hope they (moto and att) get their act together.

tim

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I went to my local AT&T store and traded in mine and my wife's 3 week old LG Thrills and picked up two Atrix 2's. After that we went right to Bestbuy to pickup some accessories and they had the the new Atrix 2 there as well. We are in central Florida. I can say (after only 24 hours) the Atrix 2 seems to be a faster smoother device, but I cant say I like it anymore then my Thrill. My wife loves it because it feels smaller and easier for her to handle. She also likes the fact that the camera works way faster, there is a huge difference in the two when comparing the speed of launching the app and the shutter speed itself. I know that doesn't help you any but I wonder why the availability would be different in other areas?

I went to my local AT&T store (I live in the Houston, TX area), and they told me that not only did they not have the phone in stores, but that no stores in the south Texas region were going to get it in and that it was online only (they said the same thing for the SGS2 as well). After letting the sales manager of the store have it and lodging an official complaint with AT&T's customer service, I did manage to get an Atrix 2 at Best Buy (and for $50 cheaper). I was seriously considering the SGS2 but the fact that it was online only was a real turn off for me.

I'm not sure what AT&T's deal is on this issue. the SGS2 and the Atrix 2 were both high profile devices with decent launch announcements yet I've seen reports of certain regions not having it in stores at all and no one seems to know the real reason (the Apple/Samsung patent suits were popular theories on XDA with regards to the SGS2).

Just seems idiotic to me to not sell two higher end devices in the actual stores.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

All the AT&T stores in my town had em. Fort Wayne, IN.

I'm also in the Houston area. I called an ATT store and the guy told me the reason they did not have the Atrix 2 and the SGS2 was because of the LTE market there (as opposed to the rest of the country which doesn't have it yet, I think...) and having two high-end phones with no LTE support would be a bummer, at least that's how I interpreted it. Was the Best Buy where you found an Atrix 2 in Houston as well? I need to find a display unit so I can touchy and feely it before I commit. Does that mean Best Buy's mobile service doesn't follow ATT regional policies and sells whatever it wants?
    nkd

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkoby View Post
    I went to my local AT&T store (I live in the Houston, TX area), and they told me that not only did they not have the phone in stores, but that no stores in the south Texas region were going to get it in and that it was online only (they said the same thing for the SGS2 as well). After letting the sales manager of the store have it and lodging an official complaint with AT&T's customer service, I did manage to get an Atrix 2 at Best Buy (and for $50 cheaper). I was seriously considering the SGS2 but the fact that it was online only was a real turn off for me.

I'm not sure what AT&T's deal is on this issue. the SGS2 and the Atrix 2 were both high profile devices with decent launch announcements yet I've seen reports of certain regions not having it in stores at all and no one seems to know the real reason (the Apple/Samsung patent suits were popular theories on XDA with regards to the SGS2).

Just seems idiotic to me to not sell two higher end devices in the actual stores.
    Why is it the sales manager's fault. It amazes me that people don't understand that retail store employees have no control over inventory. It is not their fault that the launch is a fail. Amazon doesn't even have the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    Why is it the sales manager's fault. It amazes me that people don't understand that retail store employees have no control over inventory. It is not their fault that the launch is a fail. Amazon doesn't even have the phone.
    It's not the sales manager fault, but the fact that I could go into Best Buy and get the phone and it's NOT available in AT&T store is ridiculous. And it's not that the launch is a complete fail, there are people getting them from other AT&T stores, as evidenced by the threads here and on XDA.

Also, when asked "Why" they don't have it in stores and why it wasn't available in all of the south texas region (for BOTH the SGS2 and the Atrix 2) and his response was "I don't know" then I'm sorry this guy is just bad at his job.

That's 2 phones that had major launch announcements (SGS2 had it's own freakin' event, and the Atrix 2 was announced from the stage at a mobile device conference by AT&T the week it came out), and he doesn't have the forethought to ask his boss or the person who controls the inventory for the store WHY they're not getting these devices in an entire region so that he can give a better answer than "I don't know" to his customers? I'm sorry, but it doesn't get worse from a customer perspective, especially a customer who was originally looking to spend $200 on a phone (I was originally going for the SGS2).

And for the record, I've worked retail, and had stuff not come into my stores that customers really wanted. But I had the forethought to ask and make phone calls so that I could tell my customers why we didn't have something, because I don't like telling a customer nothing more than "I don't know."

ROM
    ParanoidAndroid/Leankrnel

I bought my Atrix 2 on Saturday, Monday I was out looking for a case and screen protector for it and one of my stops was the AT&T store.....I was told they didn't carry my phone in store, nor the SGSII. Not sure why, but that's what I was told. Needless to say, I didn't get what I went there for.

Lastly, AT&T has the Atrix 2 on their site for $99 w/2yr contract, Best Buy has it for $49.99 w/2yr contract. Not sure why that is, but just a heads up.

This phone is amazing at $49 @ bestbuy. It has the same basic guts as the Bionic, RAZR, and such, at 1/6th the price. I have no idea why this phone isn't taking off. I know it had 0 advertising, but still. It doesn't even have an XDA forum yet. Which I REALLY don't get.

Red face Re: Worst Launch Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    I have gone to three ATT stores and two best buys, nobody has this phone. If I was Motorola, I would be pissed.
    Try this, I got my Atrix2 for the tax which was $39. Google $100off promo code which will direct you to AT&T website. Find phone for $99, pick plan,$100 will be taken off at end. It got mine in mail in 2 days.no atrix 2in Cali either. I amazoned my case and screen protector for $4. Good luck.