Battery Problem...?

Pilgrimtozion

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Atrix 2 for approximately a week now. In a thread similar but not identical to mine, several people were talking about getting an amazing amount of time out of their Atrix 2 while using it for similar purposes as I do. I download the occasional app, usually only check email and read text, play a game once in a blue moon, but nothing dramatic. I have setting applied that should cause my battery to last longer, but unless I have the phone sitting there doing nothing for most of the day, I will hardly make it through my work day - translating into approximately 12 hours from the moment it was fully charged. I've installed Juice Defender, have the WiFi off as much as possible, no GPS or bluetooth, and have minimized the amount of syncing that social media do throughout the day. I've seen some improvement due to these actions, but nothing that comes close to these 24+ hours I hear others talking about.

What else do you think I can do? Did I do something wrong when I originally charged the phone? Any ideas are more than welcome - I was hoping this amazing phone would last me more than just this short time it seems to give me.

Thanks in advance!

svtfmook

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
first off, remove juice-defendor
secondly, how is your signal strength at work? weak signal will drain a battery. i have this problem. nothing i can do about it.
third, go to battery and data useage and see what your battery useage it. take the top level services/apps that consume most battery and find out why they are running when they are running

Pilgrimtozion

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
What is wrong with Juice-defender?

Besides stand-by time and idle time the biggest battery-sucker is actually the Android System.

Anyway I can reduce that?

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
1321671305448.png

1321671289873.png

Here's my battery use screenshots, only 20% battery loss in over 8hrs, not bad IMO

Here's my daily setup

Wifi and data off
Haptic feedback off
Display @ 0% brightness (still plenty bright!)
Screen timeout 30 seconds
Battery mode Max battery saver
Data saver on
Background data off
GPS satellites off
And I ALWAYS lock the phone when i'm done doing whatever i'm doing

Works for me

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I find the battery life very good! I also have the skyrocket which am happy to get 12 hours with moderate use with lte network. I like to switch to my atrix2 on the weekends because I can make it the whole weekend without charging!

Pilgrimtozion

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Another forum pointed me in the right direction:

The battery's website actually advises to do 4-5 complete discharges of the phone and then leave plugged in 2-3 hours after being completely charged to get the most out of the battery. One in-depth study shows that doing this with the battery may shorten the overall battery life. However, after discharging my phone completely twice now and recharging it, I have gone 30 hours on my battery and it is still at 40%. That method has done miracles!!!

Nothing to do with Juice Defender btw - I like that program.

kzutter

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I found that when unplugging from charger, the screen gets back lit and stays this way until I unlock.
If I leave it, it will drain the battery until my first use. I only noticed this after unplugging in the dark. I cannot notice it in daylight. I now have the habit of unlocking/re-locking after removing from charger.

I use Juice Defender and it helps. I do not know what the original reply person had against it. I wish people would not make those kind of statements without a reason to back it up.

JRW 28

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Kzutter do a test using juice defender for one day then uninstall it and perform the same test without. You will be surprised to see what you find. I have performed several test with and without juice defender and usually see it draining more battery then saving.
I never see the 24+ hrs but usually get 14-16 easily and I'm a moderate to heavy user. Gmail and FB sync automatically. Not using anything in the task manager. GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi all off. Signal strength can be one of the biggest problems if you are in a weak area.

Bombinadam1403

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I will have to try this discharging and then recharging... I've been getting a pretty good battery life out of my phone on most days, but there are a few that it's stopped after about 8 hours and been almost dead. Today it spent most of the day on Airplane Mode and turning on and off on my breaks and lunch and stuff... It's at about 40% now. I find after about 60% it starts draining fast.

I have more of a problem with my phone automatically locking itself. I thought it was the case I had on it, but then I took it off and it still randomly does it. I can be in the middle of typing something or in an app and it will trigger my screen to lock itself. Anyone else have this issue? (Sorry for hi-jacking the thread)

Atrixed2

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
@bombinadam - you just need to turn off in pocket detection and make the auto screen lock timer longer. About the battery issue just use the wifi/bluetooth widget to turn them on and off in an instant. Also use auto task kill in task manager to auto kill apps. Setting display brightness to zero really helps. Btw no need to drain the battery its actually bad trying to drain it to zero. It has a built in limiter that will stop charging at full and shutdown at 1%.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Bombinadam1403

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Thanks for answering that for me!!! I thought there was a defect in the phone or something it was freaking me out! I did some of the tweaks you said about, I'll check it out tomorrow and see what my battery life is like.

kzutter

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
In regards to screen locking randomly, this happens to me also. Being g new to Android, I was wondering if this was how it crashed. It happens most often while in a browser, so I suspect something there is causing a fault. (JavaScript perhaps?) If it happens frequently, I force close the browser and that usually takes care of it.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk