Problem with Data Connection

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a non-rooted Atrix2 with the recent OTA update applied. My problem is with data connection when I change locations, especially when I move from high speed 3G into an area with EDGE service. I seldom get a "no data connection" error popup, but whatever app I launch runs until the attempt to load times out. The problem does not seem to be a signal strength issue...I have the same problem at 80dba as I do at 120dba. The notification indicator usually stays white...which is an indication the device is not pulling an IP Address for data.

Sometimes I can powercycle the phone and get it to pick up, but probably only 1 in 3 or 4 times does that work. I occasionally have the wifi exhibit a similar problem...but toggling the wifi off and then back on usually fixes the wifi problem.

The battery mode is set to performance mode...so the device should sync without restrictions with no battery savings. I have all battery saver options turned off and have data saver turned off. I have background data, data roaming, and mobile network data all enabled.

I know the "local network" variable is the obvious variable of question, but this happens consistently enough when I travel to different locations for me to rule it out...especially when I have teenagers and soccer moms facebooking away right next to me with their AT&T devices and I can't get a data connection of any kind.

Any thoughts?

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
OK...after almost a month with no replies, here is what I have done:

AT&T replaced both phones as warranty replacements. I have been thru numerous factory resets, battery pulls, and sim pulls, all with no change whatsoever to my connectivity issues. I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T tech support and been through every network setting option that is user configurable without root. About the only thing that consistently works is to power cycle the phone...but I shouldn't have to do that several times a day.

One positive note: After having to restore my phone from either factory reset or replacement 6 times in the past 3 weeks...I am getting pretty good at the restore routine.

Is anyone else having similar problems with this device????? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk

S.Gione

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to Android/Atrix and have a specific instance of this problem:

1. Only happens with POP Mail Client (occasionally).
2. Only happens on 4G (not WiFi)

All other apps have full and active connectivity, including Mail Client SMTP ... it can send mail, but reports no data connection for POP.

Haven't figured workaround (if any).

modnmotos

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had same but only a couple of times. Could it be an app or two having a conflict? I install and delete different stuff all the time. Have you tried task mgr and shut down all apps and cleared cash and ram to see if it connects before a restart? Im thinking if the phone has been replaced a couple of times and its still happening its not the actual phone. Its a setting from you or an app or a conflict from apps or even just location. Try just putting it in airplane mode then back again, its not preferred but better than waiting for shutdown and reboot. Im prob way off base here just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci