This phone kicks ass

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I was watching a You Tube review where the burst mode and also taking shots while recording video was being done, so it appears that it can do these kinds of photos. Where I'm concerned, if I want to take great photos and videos that kill, I'd use a DSLR to get the best results. I've always felt the camera on a phone is more of a convenience than anything. For me, the more important parts when making a decision about a phone are the call quality, speed, screen, UI and build quality. And its for all these reasons that I ordered my MAHD today!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive read many reviews and i really don't take in count ppl like cnet phonedog or Android sites... i think its better to listen to the average person and most say it has that cheap plastic samsung feel... and i held both and Samsung has that cheap plastic feel

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

You're funny. The average person is buying the GS 3 at at least 10x the rate of the Atrix so obviously you are either dead wrong about the cheap feel or people weigh the many other virtues of the galaxy higher than the Kevlar gimmick.

For the record I think the Atrix is a nice phone for $50.00

gogators1974

Banned
Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You're funny. The average person is buying the GS 3 at at least 10x the rate of the Atrix so obviously you are either dead wrong about the cheap feel or people weigh the many other virtues of the galaxy higher than the Kevlar gimmick.

For the record I think the Atrix is a nice phone for $50.00

Ppl buy the ssg3 cause its the trend and the software... if you think that the phone has a better build then ur funny... the at&t store i bought my ATRIX from had 7 ppl return their ssg3 cause it felt cheaply made and went to the atrix..like i said the average person if had a choice would go for this cause of the build quality not go to the ssg3 cause some guy said to causw that's what they are paid to say

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Was just at Amazon about to order and then realized the phone does not have NFC technology.. Seems odd since I doubt it would add much to the cost of the phone. Since I will be stuck with this phone until my next upgrade am wondering if not having NFC is a big deal for the next two years.. Your thoughts?

When have u ever been like "man I wish I had nfc right about now!" ? It's not really good for anything right now. But then again in 2 years maybe it will. I just don't think it'll be big before the 2 years. I've never used my one X's nfc lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Am with you all the way on the NFC thing. Besides, with an open source OS, I always wonder how safe having a debit or credit card stored in an app would be from hackers.

While I'd love the phone to have a removable or larger battery and more onboard storage, it seems clear that for the build quality, screen, very strong radio, minimal overlay on ICS (as compared to Sense or TW) and its very respectable specs, the MAHD is a very hard value to beat. End of story.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ppl buy the ssg3 cause its the trend and the software... if you think that the phone has a better build then ur funny... the at&t store i bought my ATRIX from had 7 ppl return their ssg3 cause it felt cheaply made and went to the atrix..like i said the average person if had a choice would go for this cause of the build quality not go to the ssg3 cause some guy said to causw that's what they are paid to say

Dude you're hilarious. Enjoy your phone. Like I said its probably the best $49 phone out there.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Am with you all the way on the NFC thing. Besides, with an open source OS, I always wonder how safe having a debit or credit card stored in an app would be from hackers.

While I'd love the phone to have a removable or larger battery and more onboard storage, it seems clear that for the build quality, screen, very strong radio, minimal overlay on ICS (as compared to Sense or TW) and its very respectable specs, the MAHD is a very hard value to beat. End of story.

No doubt. I think even at the original $100 it would be the best option. I got my one x for $150 or I'd say the mahd would be the best option for the $150 price point. But I'd be a liar :)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ppl buy the ssg3 cause its the trend and the software...

Agreed, though it definitely is marketed well, to me it's just the new "cool" Android phone to buy and the reps seem to be pushing it.
I asked one how it compared to the GNex and they said "It does so many more things than the GNex" (in brackets are my responses):
- Pics during video (part of ICS)
- Can watch video while doing other stuff (achievable with OverSkreen)
- Has LTE (as does the VW GNex)
- 2GB of RAM (to run TW on top of stock)
- S-Voice (Voice Search)
- Latest version of Android (4.1 isn't newer?)

Only place he got me was the camera quality but with HDR Camera+ I find pics on a GNex are fine.

Overall the rep didn't seem to know much just trying to push the new "cool" phone.

I upgraded my Nexus S to an S2 way back when but this time around I'll be waiting to upgrade my GNex to the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

gogators1974

Banned
Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, though it definitely is marketed well, to me it's just the new "cool" Android phone to buy and the reps seem to be pushing it.
I asked one how it compared to the GNex and they said "It does so many more things than the GNex" (in brackets are my responses):
- Pics during video (part of ICS)
- Can watch video while doing other stuff (achievable with OverSkreen)
- Has LTE (as does the VW GNex)
- 2GB of RAM (to run TW on top of stock)
- S-Voice (Voice Search)
- Latest version of Android (4.1 isn't newer?)

Only place he got me was the camera quality but with HDR Camera+ I find pics on a GNex are fine.

Overall the rep didn't seem to know much just trying to push the new "cool" phone.

I upgraded my Nexus S to an S2 way back when but this time around I'll be waiting to upgrade my GNex to the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Exactly... go with the trend

jl.carroll

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The camera does have burst mode it's a menu selection in the camera app called Multi-shot. I use it all of the time. I was crossing my fingers about video recording while watching live music. Every Android phone I have tried this with sucks. There are videos for the HTC OneX and it can't handle the volume at concerts. I tried this weekend standing next to a large stack of amps and it was the best I have seen yet on an Android phone. The videos turned out great.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
jj.. that's totally great! Will have my phone tomorrow and have been studying the huge user manual on Moto's site.. Yikes, there's tons to learn, but its all good.

As to madlaw's comment, all I can say is you could have saved over $200 and ended up with a phone with a FAR better screen and build quality by getting a MAHD. End of story.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
jj.. that's totally great! Will have my phone tomorrow and have been studying the huge user manual on Moto's site.. Yikes, there's tons to learn, but its all good.

As to madlaw's comment, all I can say is you could have saved over $200 and ended up with a phone with a FAR better screen and build quality by getting a MAHD. End of story.

Both of your comments are debatable. The Atrix's screen is a bit brighter and less saturated than the GS 3, I agree but it also is cramped and has less usable space.

Build quality is quite subjective and of questionable importance. Look how well the HOX is built on the outside yet look at all the complaints related to software and the radios inside. It's far easier to put a case on my GS 3 to not worry about drops or scratches than it is to make up for all of the Atrix's short comings like small screen, weak battery, lack of NFC, sub-standard camera etc.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line: Personal preference.

I weigh the factors for the various utility of a device and then determine which one delivers the best for the price. And please don't tell me the Samsung devices are problem free; we all know they are not, nor are any. I also think buying a phone for its camera is silly, but each to their own.

Motorola has been manufacturing cell phones far longer than Samsung, and ANYONE will tell you call quality is far better on a Moto, as is signal strength. I know this well, since my first cell phone was a Moto and it was flawless for years.

Also, I think Moto has done a GREAT job with their software keeping it to a minimum on the Atrix. It's about as close to vanilla Android as you can get, which is an advantage for those that want pure Android.

In the end, I simply think you just compare them and choose the one that you like best and fits your budget. If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose.. it's a rose :)

Reactions: xXBLACKBERRYXx5

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Both of your comments are debatable. The Atrix's screen is a bit brighter and less saturated than the GS 3, I agree but it also is cramped and has less usable space.

Build quality is quite subjective and of questionable importance. Look how well the HOX is built on the outside yet look at all the complaints related to software and the radios inside. It's far easier to put a case on my GS 3 to not worry about drops or scratches than it is to make up for all of the Atrix's short comings like small screen, weak battery, lack of NFC, sub-standard camera etc.

Everyone will prioritize different features. I'm really shopping the (expected to be similar) Sprint Photon Q, and I'm jealous of all the choices over in AT&T land. That being said, the GS 3 looks too large to fit my pockets (the current Photon is a touch larger than I would prefer) and screen size and gadget size are linked -- there are obvious tradeoffs.

I would prefer not to have NFC for now. That seems like a huge security risk. I don't need to be able to swipe my phone to pay for stuff.

I'm disappointed to hear that you aren't satisfied with the camera, but I still carry a "real" camera when I expect to want photos. I'm sure the camera it has is good enough to take snaps of the auto accident, or the wall units I want to show my husband before deciding what to buy. And I've been pretty happy with the photos from the original Photon. I wonder if these are really worse.

A small non-removable battery is a major downside, though. The Verizon folks (and maybe the AT&T folks) will probably get a Maxx version soon. I doubt Moto will bother offering one to the Sprint market. :(

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
to all the folks saying moto call quality is better just because there moto might need to actually try the s3 . i had a Maxx and went to the s3 and had multiple people tell me i sounded better on the s3 . as for moto's radios i admitt in the very worst places the razr was just a little better but not much . and if you count all the random data drops i had with the razr its really a wash where signal and radio's are concerned . all that being said i'll definitly be looking at the next moto droid on verizon just because ive always been a moto guy but if its not way better than the s3 i'll probably just wait for the s4 next year.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well this has turned into a spirited debate. Now that ATT will give me 50% off on any of these phones, waive the activation and credit my account for the CA sales tax, it evens the playing field with Amazon. And I'm also guaranteed my current plan is grandfathered when I order the phone.

After spending time at an ATT store with a very knowledgeable Atrix owner, he emphasized that if I really want a phone that will get the JB update and has a ton of development, the GS3 is probably the best choice. And yes, I'm not wild about the blue tint on AMOLED screens, but it is a nice phone. And when a launcher like Nova is installed, it should correct some of the funky parts of TW.. For $100 it seems to be an awful lot of phone.

Meantime, a local electronics chain here in the Bay area has the AHD on promo for a few days for $39.99 which really detracts from its value. It also has me wonder if the build components are super cheap and may not last too.. Hmmmm

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Well this has turned into a spirited debate. Now that ATT will give me 50% off on any of these phones, waive the activation and credit my account for the CA sales tax, it evens the playing field with Amazon. And I'm also guaranteed my current plan is grandfathered when I order the phone.

After spending time at an ATT store with a very knowledgeable Atrix owner, he emphasized that if I really want a phone that will get the JB update and has a ton of development, the GS3 is probably the best choice. And yes, I'm not wild about the blue tint on AMOLED screens, but it is a nice phone. And when a launcher like Nova is installed, it should correct some of the funky parts of TW.. For $100 it seems to be an awful lot of phone.

Meantime, a local electronics chain here in the Bay area has the AHD on promo for a few days for $39.99 which really detracts from its value. It also has me wonder if the build components are super cheap and may not last too.. Hmmmm

When are u going to finally pick a phone? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2