Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Texting issue with Gingerbread on unrooted Atrix

I seen another person was having this same issue but I have yet to see anyone posting a fix or others acknowledging the issue we are having.

With the GB update now when I text someone once I hit send the message box goes blank and if I back out to the main SMS screen it shows the message as sent.

Once the person replies to me I get a new SMS with their reply in it, the phone is no longer grouping or threading the messages. Each time I reply/send and someone replies back it stays as a separate message.

I have conversations going with multiple people and all of their messages are all separate from my replies to them it has been quite annoying and I can't seem to find a way to fix it.

My Atrix has been stock since I got it, it is not rooted or anything, just the newest GB update and that's it.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Re: Texting issue with Gingerbread on unrooted Atrix

Reboot your phone, if that does not solve it you may need to restore to factory settings.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

I've had this issue as well, but not with everyone - actually, only with once contact. I deleted that contact and added it back and so far do good.
    I have to say - very annoying...

Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

no problems here for me but you should go on XDA you might find a quick fix for your issue
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86

I also have this issue but not with all of my contacts. Nothing I have done yet seems to have fixed the issue.

I have never had that issue bc I use Go SMS(worth checking out if you are not using it).

I did have issues with gmail doing crazy stuff. I went to application and cleared the data for gmail, let it re-download everything, and good to go. Worth a try.

sent from my unlocked MB860 via Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I did a wipe and reset of the phone and SD card and it fixed the calendar issue I was having, don't know if it fixed the texting issue or not.

When it does this though I have had it happen to different contacts on different days so nothing I could pin down to resolve the issue without a wipe and reboot.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Texting issue was not resolved from a wipe and reset. I even tried installing Handcent SMS and it still would separate my texts and replies from people withing that app.

Not sure where to turn for a resolution now.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

that's bad news... i'm somewhat convinced it has something to do with the contact application. when I tested with a certain contact in my list, it would do it every time. then when I deleted that contact and added him again it seems to take care of the problem. every test since then with that contact has been good.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It is spotty at best in trying to nail it down to one contact.

I have had it done with several contacts since the GB update and it may or may not do it with that contact again. I have had it stop doing it in the middle of a conversation with a contact that it was doing it with. I did notice that I had sent that person an MMS when it stopped but it has done it with that contact since during normal SMS contact back and forth. Other contacts on the phone I have sent MMS to and it still did it with them.

I think I may be the only one with this problem because I haven't heard of it popping up or anyone looking for a resolution to it.

Not sure where to turn for help if it is just an isolated incident I doubt I would be able to get any kind of a replacement phone or help from ATT/Moto on the issue.

Also wondering if a root/mod would take care of the issue?

Anyone???

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

It does sound like your problem is more severe than mine, but I am still having it as well... It is very annoying. I can't really figure out what may trigger it. I have not sent an mms since the update.
    You don't happen to use touchdown do you?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't use touchdown. I had only installed Handscent to see if it was just a problem with the stock messaging app and uninstalled it when that did not resolve the issue.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Just checking in...
    is this still an issue?
    find a solution?
    sc

I am still having this same problem. After searching the web I have yet to find a resolution to this issue. It only started having this problem after the gingerbread update.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Still an issue for me as well although now it might do it once a month or less and some contacts it used to do it on it works normally now. Also never happened before Gingerbread.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts

I'm still seeing it occur. Very frustrating.

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts

I think I've solved it. I got a couple of texts from someone who seems to always generate 2 threads / per message. I looked at their contact and noticed that I had entered their mobile number, and the same number had been merged to the contact via Facebook. I deleted the entry I had entered and texted back and forth a few times and everything stayed in the same thread - like it's supposed to!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Glad that worked for you but I refuse to add my Facebook contacts on my phone so the only contacts I get are from my Google account directly and I never had this issue on FroYo or my Samsung Epic when I was with Sprint. It all started with the update to Gingerbread.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk