Atrix won't turn on or charge

eviljiggy

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help me out. I've had my Atrix since launch and it's been doing great, however just starting last night when I plugged it into both the wall, and then to the computer, it won't charge. It "sees" that the cable is plugged in because it lights up the screen, but it seems like the charging / usb port is dead for some reason. The battery is now totally dead and I have it plugged in, and all I get is a green light in the upper right hand corner, no display on the screen. I took out the battery and reseated it, no joy there. Anything else I can do? If it's helpful I just recently upgraded it to GB on Friday but the incident happened just yesterday.

Thanks!!

eviljiggy

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
it might be a bad battery. go to the nearest ATT store and have them check the phone with the new battery.
but if it was the battery, wouldn't it at least show the charging icon and then die when it was disconnected? It doesn't even recognize that the cable is plugged in or anything like that.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
@eviljiggy:
Are you using the stock Motorola wall outlet charger? When the battery gets discharged down too far, only a high current output charger, like the stock wall charger, will bring it back. Charging from a desktop USB cable won't do it.

And, it's gonna take some time...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The battery is now totally dead and I have it plugged in, and all I get is a green light in the upper right hand corner, no display on the screen.

this is what you said, correct? so once you plug the charger in nothing happens except the green light. you said it eventually died. so the charge that it had lasted for a while until it died. the best choice to start troubleshooting would be to try another battery.

eviljiggy

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
@eviljiggy:
Are you using the stock Motorola wall outlet charger? When the battery gets discharged down too far, only a high current output charger, like the stock wall charger, will bring it back. Charging from a desktop USB cable won't do it.

And, it's gonna take some time...
Yes, I am using the stock wall charger, and last night when I wanted to start charging I was at 10% and it didn't even register I plugged in a cable, so I thought Ok maybe the transformer is bad, so I then tried the cable from the wall charger in the PC, no dice there either. Then, I tried another stock wall charger I had, a secondary I bought for work, that one didn't work either via wall charge or PC.

Update: Incidentially, while being plugged in via the same cable the phone now randomly turns on and off after about a half hour of charge. The battery reads 4% and it doesn't show charging, but still it powers on for about 2 minutes, then shuts itself off again.

Update 2: This forum post describes exactly what is happening to me:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/1696-droid-x-charger-problems.html

I read in these forums under DroidX that a similar story happened to a poster as referenced above and he had to get it returned because the USB charging port went bad. Do you think that's a possibility? I don't have another battery around but I was thinking of borrowing my buddy's DroidX battery which is supposedly the same and see how that goes, as @Trevalkin suggested..

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
that could be a problemwoth the charger as well I just remembered we had simular issie with my wife's phone. thought it was a battery first but after trying another battery and another charger turned out to be the defective charger. might as well check both.

eviljiggy

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
that could be a problemwoth the charger as well I just remembered we had simular issie with my wife's phone. thought it was a battery first but after trying another battery and another charger turned out to be the defective charger. might as well check both.
2nd and 3rd charger tried, no joy. Won't be able to get a new battery until this afternoon or tomorrow, so I'll have to let you know then about them. Still dead, but every now and then the phone powers on via USB cable in PC for 1-2 minutes then dies again, strange.

Additionally, the PC is trying to install a driver for "Microboot"

aa62579

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Any fix to this? Happened to me today after updating to GB.

Nevermind. Thankfully attweco was right on the money in my situation.

I just got scared because after the update I didn't mess with the phone and I got a low battery notification about 3 hours later. It was at 15%. Didn't even get to mess with it 5 minutes before it died. Thought the GB update messed something up. When I would plug it into the computer, the green notification light would come on and every 10-15 minutes it would try to turn on, but would die again as soon as it was booted. The computer would not recognize it.

Used the wall charger at home and it responded. After completely draining the battery again and letting it charge back to 100%, battery life is back to normal.

mckr8

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
My Atrix is doing the EXACT thing. I was at a party last night and my phone died. So when I got home, I tried charging it and all that changed was the green light in the top left (which is unusual because before it showed it was charging on the screen). I've tried taking the battery out, I even let it charge for the rest of the night (9 hours).. and still, nothing. My phone is not turning on. I've tried plugging it into 15 different outlets and to my computer. I dont know what else to do. That's a $600 phone, I got it free through upgrade, but I definitely don't want it dying on me. I'm going to try a new battery and pray it works. Any suggestions?

youareuseless

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, for the most worthless support ever. Its a system board but you're advice of plug it in properly is appreciated. Thanks, apple customer support. Stock chargers make no difference there is an industry wide manufacturing standard that all non-apple chargers no adhere to. You're statement is also false you can recharge a Li-ion battery from deep discharge with a low voltage power supply it just takes longer.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

PAT SNIDER

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here, as well as with a friend of mine who had the Atrix HD. It froze and never came back on. Got a new phone but the SMS card in the Atrix is to small for the AT&T store'a reader, so I lost all contacts. Loved the phone when it worked!

Larry Northup

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
My Atrix HD will charge from a USB-Computer connection but not a wall charger. I have tried from 3 Motorola wall chargers and I get no connectivity (not green light, no screen turn on, etc) any ideas?

Derpy Pug 27

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I got a new battery for my atrix 2 because it wouldn't hold a charge or charge at all. Now the battery holds a charge but it stopped charging or it won't turn on or something after the 2nd or 3rd charge charge. Please help! :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool