So...dropped phone, cracked screen

Shawn James

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I managed to drop my phone and basically crack most of the screen. it's still usable but really annoying and I did buy insurance on the phone. 4.99 a month or whatever, i don't really remember...

I looked on att.com and they are telling me it's a tier 2 phone and it will cost me 125$ to get a new one... any thoughts on how I can get one cheaper??

and I was also wondering what the best bet on going about this is.. going to a store or doing it through the website?

tomorrow is sunday and I work all day (sucks) so I will be doing this monday morning prob.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You need to be sure which part is broken , The Screen it self ? or the glass layer on top of the screen ?
I reed some where that the screen & the protection glass are two separate pieces (each one is sold separately) & the protection glass is allot cheaper than the screen

TerryB

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Shawn,

Assuming that you don't have a film protector over the glass protector, you should be able to feel the edges with a fingernail if the protector AT LEAST is broken. It you can't feel any edges , I'd say the screen is broken but the protector isn't. If you can feel some edges but not all that you can see, then I suppose both the screen and protector are broken.

TerryB

nosmohtac

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My daughter dropped hers on the driveway, and I bought the replacement glass from iPod, iPhone Replacement Touch Glass & LCD Screens, iPhone Repair Parts, High Capacity Batteries, BlackBerry, HTC, Tablet Parts. It already has the double backed sticky tape to adhere the new glass.
If your LCD screen shows fine and you just see cracked glass on top of it, then you just order the replacement glass (The digitizer). It isn't just glass, it does have a ribbon cable attached and this is what senses your finger touch on the screen.

They have a great video on youtube showing you how to break down the phone and replace it. It wasn't that difficult except feeding the ribbon cable back into the small slot. I think I crimped the ribbon cable and now there is a small part at the top of the screen that doesn't register finger presses. It isn't that big of a deal for me though because you can rotate the screen to select stuff that won't select in portrait.

They send a nice little pry tool with the replacement glass that helps in tearing down the phone. You will also need a T5 torx screwdriver. I had difficulty finding one this small (Radio Shack didn't even have one) So see if you can find one or order one from them with the screen.
Good Luck!

artamas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
i ordred mb860 digitzer and used both vid and it wont turn on i only get a green lite when i plug into wall to charge please help

san14

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
were u able to fix this? I droped my phone and cracked the screen, wondering if i can do this or should i take it in ...

BigJ22

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing to mine. It is fairly simple to change out. Just use a hairdryer to loosen the adhesive and use the pry tool they give you with the glass replacement. Takes 5-10 mins even for a beginner. Be gentle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995