What happened to unlocked bootloader?

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I'm breaking one of the biggest rules in the forums by starting a new thread about this, but I just want to know - What happened to Motorola unlocking the bootloader on the Atrix4G?
I've had my Atrix since it 1st came out about a year ago & I remember about 6 months ago, that Moto was going to push out the Gingerbread update and unlock the bootloader as well.
I had to return my original Atrix because it malfunctioned, so AT&T replaced it with a refurb, however, this Atrix... with Gingerbread... is locked. What gives? Anyone venture to explain?

Just want to be able to use CWM to flash CM7 & potentially, CM9, soon. Keeps giving me the "Failed 2 boot Starting rsd mode" message & hangs. Only way to remove the error is with a battery pull.........

Last edited:

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate that.
I am contemplating doing it soon as per the instructions you linked me to.

But to my original question: What happened to the unlocked bootloader? If they unlocked the bootloaders with the GB release, why would they reissue another atrix with a locked bootloader? weird.......

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
No they provided a way to unlock the bootloader, there's no reason to have them unlocked by default. It took me about 10 mins to unlock mine. I used the unlock batch script that I found on XDA. I then installed romracers recovery that took another 10 mins or so. I've been researching all of the roms out for the Atrix so I havn't installed one yet.

Reactions: devito80