Fingerprint scanner gave out

HSPAminus

Apr 30, 2011
www.ifixit.com
I've been using my fingerprint scanner since I got my Atrix (about 10 months ago) without any problems. Heck, it was one of the big selling points for me for the phone. Anywho, a couple weeks ago it just pooped out on me. I would go to unlock the phone and it would never recognize that I was swiping my finger. I had this issue when I was running the stock version of 2.2 and resetting the phone would fix it. I upgraded to the stock 2.3 update and didn't have the problem again, until a couple weeks ago, of course. Now it appears that the scanner is completely dead and no amount of resetting the phone will fix it. I thought maybe it had too many finger oils built up on it, so I cleaned it off with some Goof Off and then OmniCleanz?no dice.

I work at iFixit, so cracking open a phone to replace something isn't a big deal for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can verify if it is in fact a hardware issue?

Atrix running stock 2.3.4 and ADW Launcher.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
everyone's fingerprint scanner pretty much gave out. Motorola isn't fixing this as a warranty repair. Mine stopped working shortly after the first gingerbread update months ago.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine's still working, but hardware-wise, it's getting noticeably clickier and worn. I'm talking about when you press it in to turn the screen on or off. I guess that was kind of a bad design idea, to have the power button be the same button as the fingerprint scanner..sounds cool and convenient on paper, but in practice it just doesn't make sense. Honestly, I fear that my scanner will break someday relatively soon, and I won't be able to turn it on or off anymore. What the hell will I do then?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine's still working, but hardware-wise, it's getting noticeably clickier and worn. I'm talking about when you press it in to turn the screen on or off. I guess that was kind of a bad design idea, to have the power button be the same button as the fingerprint scanner..sounds cool and convenient on paper, but in practice it just doesn't make sense. Honestly, I fear that my scanner will break someday relatively soon, and I won't be able to turn it on or off anymore. What the hell will I do then?

upgrade