Build Quality

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
So what im curious about is how is the build quality on this phone. I havent seen any mention of wether its all plastic or metal etc, thats pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

If its plastic i'll be getting the Inspire because the inspire is an all metal body similar to that of the Nexus 1 which is very very durable

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Motorola seems to have the best overall build quality on their phones, and since they are definately interested in staying on top of the pack with android and mobile, my guess is that even the plastic they do use will be fairly strong.

Of coarse I haven't held it yet, but I doubt it will feel like an HTC incredible/Evo or the Samsung phones.

I love my Nexus 1, but I also use a case so won't mind a [strong] plastic backing. The thing about plastic in certain spots is it also gives you better grounding, typically better radio strength / less interference, and also absorbs shocks (drops) better.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Having seen and played with the Droid, Droid 2, and Droid X, I'd say that the build quality is somewhat better than HTC (besides the N1) and considerably better than the Galaxy S phones I've played with.

Keep in mind that Motorola's phones are usually glossy black plastic, which tend to be fingerprint magnets.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I think the build quality should be fine. Moto has a lot of experince (they invented the cell phone) so i dont think their should be signifigant hardware problems. Software however, may be bad (MOTO BLUR for example is ****)

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the build quality should be fine. Moto has a lot of experince (they invented the cell phone) so i dont think their should be signifigant hardware problems. Software however, may be bad (MOTO BLUR for example is ****)

Well im not really worried about blur, launcher pro fixes most of the gripes i have with it. Guess ill go to ATT the day its released and hold one in my hand and then decide, though if its anything like the droid or droid x, im not too too worried

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
sorry I'm delirious. I was copying and pasting from one review to the next, because literally the phones were right next to each other and had many similarities. Anyway, fixed.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering how good the screen will be compared to the iPhone 4.. I'm contemplating on switching and want a screen as good as the i4's or at least very close to it.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering how good the screen will be compared to the iPhone 4.. I'm contemplating on switching and want a screen as good as the i4's or at least very close to it.

The qHD screen the Atrix has is just as good. The pixel density is not the exact same, but its just as clear, and has better color definition & contrast. The differences are quite minimal at this point when dealing with the top end phones.

The bionic also has the qHD screen similar to the atrix but since its the same resolution on a larger screen, it doesn't have the pixel density the Atrix has.

Reactions: jhamilton3#CB

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
The qHD screen the Atrix has is just as good. The pixel density is not the exact same, but its just as clear, and has better color definition & contrast. The differences are quite minimal at this point when dealing with the top end phones.

The bionic also has the qHD screen similar to the atrix but since its the same resolution on a larger screen, it doesn't have the pixel density the Atrix has.

Thank you, that helps clear things up for me.

Do you happen to know how the camera will compare? I'm not talking about the MPs, but more so the quality of the pictures. Nothing as compared to the iPhone's quality in pics except the Droid X.. I take a lot of photos so this is important to me.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of the screen, how were the viewing angles? TN or IPS? Very important to me. Potentially coming from a samsung captivate, I'll be losing a nice screen.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, that helps clear things up for me.

Do you happen to know how the camera will compare? I'm not talking about the MPs, but more so the quality of the pictures. Nothing as compared to the iPhone's quality in pics except the Droid X.. I take a lot of photos so this is important to me.

Not sure on the quality of the optics yet as nobody really has one. We'll have to wait and see. My guess & hope is that Motorola uses a quality optic system so we have something similar to the iPhone 4.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of the screen, how were the viewing angles? TN or IPS? Very important to me. Potentially coming from a samsung captivate, I'll be losing a nice screen.

and gaining a very nice screen. I am fairly positive the viewing angle on QHD screens is 170 degrees each direction.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Not sure on the quality of the optics yet as nobody really has one. We'll have to wait and see. My guess & hope is that Motorola uses a quality optic system so we have something similar to the iPhone 4.

Well as long as they use something as powerful/good as what the Droid X has I'll be content.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The SAMOLED on the Galaxy S phones are very nice, but use the pen-tile matrix configuration, which affects subpixel accuracy. It's the reason why text appears stippled and "color fringed". It's a tradeoff for having perfect blacks and a perfect viewing angle. Personally, I am a fan of the AMOLED tech, but not Samsung, so I'm anxious to see how the Atrix4G screen looks in person...

As a bonus, I'll be able to easily see phone phone screen on bright, sunny days. Down here in sunny FL, both my Nexus One and Captivate are unusable during daytime unless I'm indoors or in the shade. :cool: