Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

Default Laptop Dock - Why Firefox (why not Chrome?)

Anybody have any info on why this is? Would make more sense for Chrome to be the browser on the webtop app (I know it wasn't made by Google, but it IS for android after all). Or at least have the option to use a different browser.

Just wondering if anybody knows if this will this be possible. Haven't had much luck searching around. Engadget has a piece saying this will not be possible, but since its a custom Linux build, you should at least be able to eventually remove/install different apps. I hope so as I use Chrome at home and would love that to be able to sync to the laptop dock feature of my future phone.
    defeROMs Avatar

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I think I remember somebody on some podcast (think it was Jerry on the Android Central podcast) saying that Firefox works really well on lightweight Linux installations. Which makes a lot of sense for a good reason to use Firefox.

I'd prefer Chrome as well, because it would keep my iMac, CR-48, and Atrix in sync, which would be awesome.

Yep. It was me

And yep, that what I think is the reason. Firefox and Linux have a long standing history (both because they are completely FOSS (free open source software) and because Linux users love Firefox). There are more than a few custom-built Firefox derivatives for Linux, and some of them work really, really well.

Of course, that's just my guess, but I have a few years of experience running Linux on less than stellar hardware.
    Chris Kerrigan likes this.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I think one of the guys on the Engadget podcast also mentioned the possibility that Motorola or maybe even Google did not want confusion to be created between the Atrix laptop dock running Linux and a full-blown netbook running Chrome OS.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

Well, I know Google is probably [self] aware that mobile phones (starting with the atrix) are the future of cloud computing (read: Android), not Chrome. Oh well, least Firefox is a nice browser.

I have to think that at some point in the future Android phones will automatically switch to Chrome OS when docked. Windows Phones will probably switch to a lightweight version of Windows 8, and the iPhone will probably switch to a lightweight version of Mac OS.

Motorola opened up a whole can of worms with this Atrix.
    defeROMs Avatar

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Chrome OS would be so great, why not use it? It's really fast (in my experience), plus it would make more sense to have a Google Android phone's laptop dock to run a Google OS, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Yep. It was me
    I thought it was you.

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

I'd have like to see a chromium build on there. I run linux (both mint and Arch) on my netbook that has probably slower specs than this phone, I still love chromium and hate firefox. Not that it's bad, I've just never used it, and nothing is in the right spot

I bet we'll see it soon of there is a chromium for arm build out there somewhere, or if it's easy to make.

If we had google chrome we could use all the apps inside the chrome webstore.

Chrome seems like a much better solution.

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's because Chrome / Chromium requires an x86 processor for the V8 Javascript engine.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Yep. It was me

And yep, that what I think is the reason. Firefox and Linux have a long standing history (both because they are completely FOSS (free open source software) and because Linux users love Firefox). There are more than a few custom-built Firefox derivatives for Linux, and some of them work really, really well.

Of course, that's just my guess, but I have a few years of experience running Linux on less than stellar hardware.
    Or maybe the nerd from motorola who created webtop app is a firefox lover not chrome lover? If that nerd is from google then it would have been chrome

Yep, its just me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Carrier
    CM9 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Rastor View Post
    I don't know, but I'm guessing it's because Chrome / Chromium requires an x86 processor for the V8 Javascript engine.
    V8 has been ported to ARM.

My theory: Firefox is more stable in Linux. I've used Chromium on Linux and it's not as pleasant as its Windows counterpart.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,993 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

even though it will essentially be two different browsers then will it use the same bookmarks on the phone and dock? or would we have to use firefox on the phone? because that would be nice to use same bookmarks

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

i would imagine that if you used firefox mobile you could easily import saved data to the desktop environment. Im sure the firefox browser has the option to import from other mobile browsers. It only makes sense.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,892 Global Posts

Anyone know if it will run the new Firefox 4?
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,993 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco720 View Post
    i would imagine that if you used firefox mobile you could easily import saved data to the desktop environment. Im sure the firefox browser has the option to import from other mobile browsers. It only makes sense.
    ye but im wondering if it can use the stock browsers bookmarks because that would be awesome to bookmark a site on the laptop and view it later on your phone.