Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Atrix 4G - Laptop Printing?

Posted this on another forum with no response. Thought I'd check here...

If the Atrix with the Laptop Dock works as advertised, I'm thinking it may be able to serve as my only "PC" on a day-to-day basis. We have a perfectly adequate Laptop in the den for photos, etc. that my wife uses as her primary computer. I really just need very basic computing features, and the Atrix with the Laptop Dock should do all I need.

I do have one concern though. Will I be able to print with this set-up? I'm hoping that I can connect to my wireless printer here at home. I know I could e-mail any document to my wife's PC and print from there, but that sounds kinda convoluted. I just hope I can connect to my networked printer without having to go thru those kinds of hoops.

Anybody know about this issue?

I'm pretty sure you would be able to print wirelessly but if not I'll give the hacking community a few weeks before someone cooks something up.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Yes. And I believe a rep has actually said that you can print straight from the phone to your printer if it is one of those internet-based printers.

ROM
    CM9 Beta

Printershare from the Android market works with just about any network printer, including wireless ones. It's only $5, and it's what I use.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    2,319 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
    Printershare from the Android market works with just about any network printer, including wireless ones. It's only $5, and it's what I use.
    Nice! Thanks for the tip!

My username is john_v, and I approve this message.

(This signature has been inspected and found to meet all Mobile Nations Guidelines and FDA Guidelines for freshness and quality. Inspected by #52)

All new HP printers will have their own email address. Email what you want to print to the printer and it prints out. Any source device. Phone,laptop, desktop, whatever.

(Disclaimer: I work for HP. In IT, not sales)

Global Posts
    2,168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty v1.0

I found some info that Motorola has been working on a printing solution for a little while now called MotoPrint. Might be something planned for the Atrix.
    I just started using printershare with my network printer and its working quite well so far.
    there is no spoon

Global Posts
    2,168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by textiaac View Post
    Needs to have a PC attached to the printer to work.
    there is no spoon

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxiang View Post
    Needs to have a PC attached to the printer to work.
    or a could aware printer. They seem to be making these a lot nowadays.