Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AC Sideload Wonder Machine

With the Atrix being released soon, will the Sideload Wonder Machine be able to work "out-of-the-box" on a opening day, or will we have to wait a short period of time before the Atrix is compatible?

ROM
    Stock

I dont know, interesting question. I hope we aren't going to be forced to use it through, maybe att wont restrict our apps this time.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If AT&T allows sideloading this time around, what are the steps of getting .apk apps onto the SD card? It's my 1st Android phone so I'm not sure the process.

If AT&T DOES allow side-loading, you can download apps from a third party website directly to your phone, use your USB cable to access your SD card as mass storage, or take your SD card out and load directly from a card reader. Then you just explore using any file explorer and install.
    Thanked by:
    crea78 

ROM
    CM9 Beta

I'm doubtful AT&T will allow sideloading. They're cheap, and Google gives carriers a cut when apps are purchased from the market. If third-party apps can be purchased elsewhere, AT&T won't see a dime. So naturally, they won't allow it.

The Backflip, Aria, and Captivate had sideloading disabled. There's nothing to indicate they'll change this policy either.

Luckily, rooting the device would allow you to enable installation of nonmarket apps without the Wonder Machine. Besides, you'll need to root anyway to get rid of the bloatware.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Tom S. 
    defeROMs Avatar

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I'd think it would work. Don't quote me, but I think the Sideload Wonder Machine just automates the long command-line process.

AT&T does technically allow it, though. Just check .

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
    Luckily, rooting the device would allow you to enable installation of nonmarket apps without the Wonder Machine. Besides, you'll need to root anyway to get rid of the bloatware.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Usually rooting would be a great option but I'm not 100% sure but Motorola is the one company that is not making it easy or possible to root and the Atrix would probably be the same.

If at&t allows it to be a TRUE froyo with sideloading, apps2sd, and wifi hotspot I wouldn't need to even think about rooting. those are the 3 things I rooted my Aria for and love it.

Please AT&T give us this one wouldya
    HTC Inspire 4G CM7

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
    Doesn't Motorola's eFuse make it likely to brick your phone trying to root it?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

im pretty sure the AC sideload machine will work if not adb will work

adb install (appname).apk

very simple
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roland View Post

If at&t allows it to be a TRUE froyo with......and wifi hotspot...

Please AT&T give us this one wouldya
    The Atrix will have wifi hotspot, you just need to have a tethering plan for it to show up on the phone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

According to Android & Me, AT&T is allowing the sideloading of apps on the new Inspire 4G. Hopefully, they will do the same on the Atrix as well.

"Fortunately, Iím happy to report that the HTC Inspire 4G is the first phone on AT&T that allows users to install applications from the SD card and other sources."

Source:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by crea78 View Post
    According to Android & Me, AT&T is allowing the sideloading of apps on the new Inspire 4G. Hopefully, they will do the same on the Atrix as well.

"Fortunately, Iím happy to report that the HTC Inspire 4G is the first phone on AT&T that allows users to install applications from the SD card and other sources."
    Great news! Can you provide your source?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by textiaac View Post
    Great news! Can you provide your source?
    Update: looks like sideloading is blocked on the Atrix according to this post at Android Forums: source: . Oh well!!
    Last edited by crea78; 02-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Update: looks like sideloading is blocked on the Atrix according to this post at Android Forums: source: . Oh well!!
    if the sideloader is indeed blocked i might have to go with the inspire. then again how many reps know about sideloading or anything besides what the company feeds them? I hope this isnt true though.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,787 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i think it is likely at&t will allow sideloading of apps as i think the only reason they restricted them was due to appeasing apple for exclusivity but i think now to keep customers they will have to open up because they dont have unlimited data or exclusivity so they will have o open up to keep android owners i think but who knows. im curious to see one of the final inspire units if it has that option
    Windows Phone:Lumia 920
    Android: Nexus 4
    iOS: iPhone 5

ROM
    CM 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by Blopez21 View Post
    if the sideloader is indeed blocked i might have to go with the inspire. then again how many reps know about sideloading or anything besides what the company feeds them? I hope this isnt true though.
    Even if AT&T has again blocked sideloading directly from the phone, it doesn't mean ADB and the Sideload Wonder Machine is blocked. It would be almost impossible for AT&T to block that. Yes, it adds an extra step to getting non-Market apps, but it's still pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiepug View Post
    i think it is likely at&t will allow sideloading of apps as i think the only reason they restricted them was due to appeasing apple for exclusivity but i think now to keep customers they will have to open up because they dont have unlimited data or exclusivity so they will have o open up to keep android owners i think but who knows. im curious to see one of the final inspire units if it has that option
    i agree with you but then again AT&T and Verizon have had a tendency to screw over customers one way oranother. I think AT&T showing more love to android now will allow to compete with Verizon but to stay afloat they will have to allow sideloading like verizon if im not mistaken.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,787 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Blopez21 View Post
    i agree with you but then again AT&T and Verizon have had a tendency to screw over customers one way oranother. I think AT&T showing more love to android now will allow to compete with Verizon but to stay afloat they will have to allow sideloading like verizon if im not mistaken.
    i mean look at it up until december the best andorid phone was the captivate everything else was mid to low end (on AT&T this is) then january they lose iphone exclusivity and we get the first dual core phone (atrix) a sweet time tested beast(inspire) and the infuse which is like a tablet wannabe that couldnt committ. so in one month we get 3 high ends devices and now theres 3 good wp7 devices so it seems like at&t has fully embraced other platforms now and i hope this is the case and coninues on this route! because the iphone is getting stale and android is just begining to blossom

i mean look at it up until december the best andorid phone was the captivate everything else was mid to low end (on AT&T this is) then january they lose iphone exclusivity and we get the first dual core phone (atrix) a sweet time tested beast(inspire) and the infuse which is like a tablet wannabe that couldnt committ. so in one month we get 3 high ends devices and now theres 3 good wp7 devices so it seems like at&t has fully embraced other platforms now and i hope this is the case and coninues on this route! because the iphone is getting stale and android is just begining to blossom
    I agree. AT&T is embracing and with 12 or is it 11 android devices to be release with in this year alone they will have beaten their previous three years combined.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,974 Global Posts

Source:
    That's 100 percent wrong. You can't sideload on it. I'm holding one right now, and you sure as hell can't do it.

Sigh.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    That's 100 percent wrong. You can't sideload on it. I'm holding one right now, and you sure as hell can't do it.

Sigh.
    Well that sux, and I wonder why the guy who posted the unboxing video put that comment in the notes??

ROM
    Stock

I will ROM this ASAP and sideload at my free will.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,787 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i was soo bummed when i saw the headline on the front page about the lack of side load apps. perhaps at&t will open up in future but if not we have the sideload wonder machine or adb

I know im probably one of the few people who is very happy with at&ts service in my area and their customer service. i really hope they open up to side loading as every other carrier is.

ROM
    Stock

i was soo bummed when i saw the headline on the front page about the lack of side load apps. perhaps at&t will open up in future but if not we have the sideload wonder machine or adb

I know im probably one of the few people who is very happy with at&ts service in my area and their customer service. i really hope they open up to side loading as every other carrier is.
    (1+) to ATT service, it is number one were I live and in many parts of my area faster and with more bars than Big Red.

(1-) for the optimism, never expect that much from att they are a bunch of greedy w****s and want you to buy from the android marketplace so they can get a piece of the action on ever app sold.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast