Will the Atrix holdup to the hype

evilstrike

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
the Atrix has been getting tons of hype since its been seen at CES, i'm wondering if its going to able to holdup to all this hype or it will be disappointing device.
I've not seen any good hand-on video yet that isn't done with a sales rep nearby showing only the good side. All i've seen so far is web browsing and flash.

I'm skeptical as to what limitation are actually going to be imposed on this device that will inadvertently lead to disappointment.

Webtop is really cool but as it stands it does not do much other then "look" like a full desktop but really all you do is watch 1080p video/games or browse the web. It looks incredibly basic. I don't think were going to be able to install apps, theme the desktop area, run office tools, use VPN clients or remote desktop or even have a console app.

Sure you will be able to download these apps on the phone and run them through the virtual emulator but then its not running from webtop...

Is Anyone else skeptical that webtop will be pretty limited in what you can actually do with it

hthighway

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you've read the Motorola press release regarding the webtop app:

While in the webtop application users can run their Android applications in a window, browse their favorite websites with a full Firefox desktop browser, send instant messages and make phone calls, all at the same time. Calls continue uninterrupted if Motorola ATRIX 4G is removed from a dock. Users can take advantage of the ability to surf the web, view social networking, and use HTML5 web-based applications and supported cloud computing services. Plus, the new Entertainment Center feature lets you show all of the photos, music and videos you already enjoy on-the-go on a big screen in your living room. In the U.S., ATRIX 4G will feature the AT&T U-verse? Mobile application, which allows users to schedule recordings, and for qualifying TV customers, download and watch hit TV shows on their smartphones.

Motorola ATRIX 4G provides consumers with instantaneous access to all their emails, files and media. While using the webtop application, business users with an existing Citrix account will benefit from the integrated Citrix Receiver application that provides secure, high performance access to virtual desktops as well as Windows?, web and office applications hosted on Citrix XenDesktop. In addition to the full suite of office productivity applications and email applications, users can also access a great number of web applications such as Salesforce.com, Google Docs, and any HTML application or service from the full desktop browser.

Motorola Mobility and AT&T Announce ATRIX? 4G, the Future of Mobile Computing

Reactions: Mikegrann

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I heard somewhere webtop is debian based. Since my main OS of choice is Linux Mint (a debian based distro) I wonder if some of the apps I use now would work. It would probably need to be a .deb compiled for arm, but I can see it happening. That would be awesome. Rhythmbox, Libreoffice, Chromium, etc.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I heard somewhere webtop is debian based. Since my main OS of choice is Linux Mint (a debian based distro) I wonder if some of the apps I use now would work. It would probably need to be a .deb compiled for arm, but I can see it happening. That would be awesome. Rhythmbox, Libreoffice, Chromium, etc.

It is very closed Motorola version of Linux, and as of yet cannot run apps nativly besides Firefox. I would like to see apps not just be blown up but actually be made for use in webtop mode (may require a new linux ROM for webtop mode).

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I assume that they will prevent install of most applications in linux, but I'm sure that the linux mode will be quickly hacked to allow it. The limiting factor will be memory. I'm sure this has 16GB on board because of the linux mode and much of that may already be used. Regardless I can't wait to see what the developer community does with this platform because it is still a leap above anything else we've had and opens a lot of options. ...I may need more than one to enjoy all the possibilities! :D

Kaspern

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
This phone will live up to the hype until the next conference mid february when another amazing device will be announced. Might not be a webtop device but spec wise i think something better then atrix. With tegra 3 processors.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think that the Atrix will be a good, speedy, useful smartphone. As far as the "Hype" goes..... has anything ever really "lived up" to its hype?

I do actually plan on buying an Atrix, by the way. I am going to wait until a couple of real reviews have been done on it before I leap.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
if you really look at this, this phone hasnt been hyped a lot except by forms like this. Motorola has kept their commercials up to par to what the phone is going to do. I think the hype we give it will be more than what we expect but i think this will be a great phone to hold someone for a whole year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes