What sort of uses for the usb ports?

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The laptop and desktop docks have usb host ports. Primarily these will be used for mouse and keyboard no doubt. But what other sort of function can these serve? Can android support usb host for other functions? Mass storage would seem like a no brainer, but that doesn't mean it'll work. Cd-rom is a longshot I think. Any confirmation on other functions beside mouse and keyboard?

nemesiz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The laptop and desktop docks have usb host ports. Primarily these will be used for mouse and keyboard no doubt. But what other sort of function can these serve? Can android support usb host for other functions? Mass storage would seem like a no brainer, but that doesn't mean it'll work. Cd-rom is a longshot I think. Any confirmation on other functions beside mouse and keyboard?

I did see a video from a moto rep where they confirm that external hard drives can be connected to the multimedia/laptop dock. Not sure about Cd-rom thou..

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I did see a video from a moto rep where they confirm that external hard drives can be connected to the multimedia/laptop dock. Not sure about Cd-rom thou..
All the CES videos are definitely mentioning external hard drives, flash drives, SD card readers etc. They were even demoing a file manager to navigate those drives.

I didn't hear any mention of other types of devices. DVD drives, webcams, USB speakers, etc would make for some interesting possibilities.

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Even is hdd or flash drive storage is supported, what types of apps will be able to access it I wonder. A stock file manager would make sense. But I'd hope the web browser could download to external storage and an office software could read/write to external storage. Dunno what kind of access Motorola will allow. Being able to watch a dvd from an external drive would be very cool.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see no webcam on the laptop dock =(
Meh... the phone already has a front camera. I guess if you need to video chat, just take it off the dock.

Given the price of both ($150 for phone at Amazon and Costco, and $150 for laptop dock), I'm quite satisfied with the features this thing packs...

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Motorola reps said that "you will be able to edit data in external drives via USB"
doesn't the HD dock have a Card reader slot in it ?

crea78

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I I can put these 16 & 32GB SDHC cards to some mobile use when I get the laptop dock. All I will need is a 16GB microSD card for internal storage.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks like my Card reader (which I bought for my N-Gage 8 years ago) will come in handy again (with the SD cards that I have)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463