Webtop Dock will be $300/$500! Thoughts?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what to do now. I was set on the Atrix until the pricing announcement as well as the ridiculous tethering cost. I am grandfathered into unlimited data, but if I add tethering, doesn't that cause me to alter my plan, effectively removing my unlimited data in favor of the caps?

Yes you will have to give up the unlimited plan...it doesn't look like they are going to allow you to just "add" tethering to your existing plan. Below is an excerpt from an email I received from ATT regarding this.

2. Unfortunately you are correct in that we charge extra if you wish to "tether" your phone and use it as a wireless modem for your laptop, etc. Regrettably we do not have plans to change this in the near future. Also please be aware that while you have our unlimited data plan now for a Smartphone device, if you switch to a tethering plan, these plans only include 2GB of data per month.:mad:

I think this is part of their plan to phase out the unlimited plan all together.

Last edited:

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think this is part of their plan to phase out the unlimited plan all together.

It just backfired. Now that no one will touch the dock, everyone will be in a hurry to root these devices to enable wifi tethering to surf from their own laptops and netbooks. And outside of the $5 premium over the 2 GB plan, AT&T wouldn't be seeing any extra revenue. Not just from the sale of the docks, but also the extra tethering fees and data overages. Oops.

Something tells me their business analysts aren't very tech savvy.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Very good point corneliusm!! I like your thinking. I wasn't super excited about the laptop dock anyway, but I didn't like how AT&T handled it. If it was about $350 cheaper off contract, and without tethering...I might have considered it.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It just backfired. Now that no one will touch the dock, everyone will be in a hurry to root these devices to enable wifi tethering to surf from their own laptops and netbooks. And outside of the $5 premium over the 2 GB plan, AT&T wouldn't be seeing any extra revenue. Not just from the sale of the docks, but also the extra tethering fees and data overages. Oops.

Something tells me their business analysts aren't very tech savvy.

Not sure if you guys have noticed - but AT&T has been pretty quiet about the Atrix since releasing their screwed up bundled pricing and data plans for the laptop dock. Makes you wonder if they are now rethinking their strategy. Surely they see the internet, the forums even their own facebook page and see how pissed people were about this and how many people are now not going to get the dock. At this point - I am still going to get the phone and car dock - but will no longer get the laptop dock. I was prepared to pay up to a maximum of $250.00 for the laptop dock - but what they want for it is crazy. I think that had the dock been in the $200 range - most people wouldn't have complained so much about the tethering. AT&T just screwed everything up with this dock pricing. They got greedy...and I really hope that very few people sign up for the dock so that they come back and reduce the pricing on it.

Granted they have increased the data cap from 2GB to 4GB on the tethering plan...but the dock is still just too dang expensive for what it is.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see people finally speak with their wallets. I don't think it will happen in this case or any in the near future. Most people just don't think their purchases all the way through. All they see is themselves at home or at the bus stop using this dock. Sad but true.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to see people finally speak with their wallets. I don't think it will happen in this case or any in the near future...

I did! In fact I'd love to go back to the ATT store and tell the saleschick I called her bluff and walked :cool:

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
You sir are the exception to the rule. ;) I forgot about you leaving AT&T when I wrote that.

I tell ya, when you finally ditch that torch you are going to absolutely love android! (former torch and *phone user here)
My wife is not what you'd call technically inclined but she loves her smartphones; has had *Phone 3gs and Blackberry. I got her the Mesmerize as part of US Cell's buy one get one deal (we've had them since friday night) and tonight she tells me "I love my phone". (not sure why she said phone and not husband :confused: ) but she never said that with her other phones.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I tell ya, when you finally ditch that torch you are going to absolutely love android! (former torch and *phone user here)
My wife is not what you'd call technically inclined but she loves her smartphones; has had *Phone 3gs and Blackberry. I got her the Mesmerize as part of US Cell's buy one get one deal (we've had them since friday night) and tonight she tells me "I love my phone". (not sure why she said phone and not husband :confused: ) but she never said that with her other phones.

I can't wait man. When I swung by the store yesterday, I messed around with the Aria a bit and I loved that right away and that's not even the one I'm getting. Snappy little sucker. Well at least you know where you stand when it comes to you or the phone. :D

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My father had one for a while. He ended up snapping the damn thing in half one day. Just holding that thing made me feel like I was going to break it.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
My father had one for a while. He ended up snapping the damn thing in half one day. Just holding that thing made me feel like I was going to break it.

I almost snapped mine out of anger for sure. When I got a new phone, the rep at the store asked if I wanted to donate it and I told her no because I don't wish anyone to have this demonic thing. :D Took it home and smashed it with a hammer. :p Exercised the demon right out of it!

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats odd....my old razer was built like a tank. Maybe they changed tooling after a few years and made them with lesser materials, but I remember mine being really solid. Could run over it with my car and it would be fine.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thats odd....my old razer was built like a tank. Maybe they changed tooling after a few years and made them with lesser materials, but I remember mine being really solid. Could run over it with my car and it would be fine.

Mine was pretty high quality as well. After a good 2 years of use i tried to break my V3m razor by throwing it off a roof and it survived and lasted another a year for my sister.