Webtop Dock will be $300/$500! Thoughts?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
So now that it has been confirmed that the webtop dock will run you an extra $300 with 2 year contract, or $500 by itself (not including the phone), what is everyone's thoughts? the price you were expecting? higher than expected? will this deter you from an atrix, or were you not even planning on the dock in the first place?

myself personally, i probably would still be getting the atrix (were i on at&t), but that price would steer me away from the dock, especially considering that i dont really have a use case for it

Last edited:

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
If the dock would've hit for $150, I would've grabbed it. At this price, not at all likely. But, their bread for that will be buttered by those in enterprise.

Not at all going to deter me from ordering it, however. Dying to get off my ancient BB 9000.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to tell you what I honestly think about the dock being so high but that's against forum rules. :p More than likely I'll still get the phone by itself and wait for the price to come down or look for it on newegg or amazon.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't excited about the laptop dock to begin with, but if it was around $100 I would probably grab it. I just don't see the point at this price. I already have a work laptop and a personal laptop. I don't need another $300 - $500 laptop that really is just a large netbook. Nope, I won't be getting one.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
They are now forcing you to subscribe to the tethering plan (add $20 more per month) in order to use the dock.

Yeah, I'm reconsidering this after all.

Etrain31

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am still going to get the phone. I am rocking an old BB 8900 right now and want a high-end android on at&t. My current laptop at home is more powerful than the laptop dock, so I have no need to spend $ on that.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to get the docks, especially from ATT. I'm disappointed, but I'll still get the Atrix at Costco for $150.

The laptop price- I can't justify that cost, and the additional tethering plan required to use it? WTH?!? That'd force me to give up my unlimited plan. That's not going to happen.

For $400, you can buy an AMD Brazos netbook. I can't see myself spending 500+ for a phone and a laptop with no brain. Seriously, AT&T sucks, and this announcement confirms it.

Last edited:

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm kinda scratching my head at that dock price. Isn't it possible to just use both USB and HDMI cables and have the same functionality? Either run webtop manually or stick a magnet somewhere.

Kazer

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this totally just killed the Atrix for me. Main reason I wanted it was for the laptop dock capabilities... 300 or 500$ for the dock itself (which is just a screen and a battery) + a 20$ monthly tethering fee to use it? AT&T just shot itself in the foot.

Guess I'll wait for the Bionic or something from MWC.

quicksilver050

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was stoked for the Atrix and really banking in on it coming out soon with relatively low pricing across the board. I'm let down by this news and thinking about getting the Inspire, even though it isn't dualcore. HTC build quality, company upgrade history and sense are looking a lot better right now...

Reactions: Jonneh

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Motorola is botching this if this is true. I will not even remotely consider the laptop dock under these circumstances, and may even look for a different phone as I won't be using the webtop feature.

Mobutu

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm very sad.

EDIT: Reading again it says Firefox use over Mobile Broadband requires tethering. SO....if I use it on WiFi only, I don't have to have tethering? That makes me feel a little better, but that sure is a pricy dumb terminal.

Last edited:

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Still the whole excitement for me was converging mobile and "laptop" data use under one plan. I kinda thought they would charge extra for tethering. Hoped they wouldnt but it makes perfect sense. otherwise everyone would get one of these and the data card/mifi sales would go down the toilet.

crea78

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
This seals the deal I will not be getting the laptop dock!! $300-500 is just too much $$ and then u have to get a tethering plan on top of that... OUCH!!

Last edited:

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
How they justify a no guts netbook to be more expensive than a "full" netbook is baffling.

Sent from my Sourcery using Tapatalk

anon(70612)

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
It was going to feel like a bit of a gimmick at $200 by itself (and presumably cheaper by this - 'package pricing' scheme). Still, it was compelling. Now this is just ignorance.

I haven't checked out much video of the multimedia dock, but that still seems best in-class, so this phone still has more than just a Tegra 2 and a big battery (two good reasons to buy this phone regardless).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63