Dock Question

valleus

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Help me understand...
Why is a dock even needed? If the phone has a microUSB input and a video output, why can't I just hook a keyboard and a generic monitor into these slots? Would it be that hard for someone to write an app allowing this?

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Possibly you could do that. The docks (both multimedia and laptop) just add a convenience factor. It is like docking a laptop. I use a dock for my Dell E6510 at work. When I travel or go to a meeting, I just undock it and use it as a laptop. When I'm at my desk, the monitor, keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, LAN, etc., all plug into the dock...so it works like a desktop. I don't have to plug/unplug a bunch of wires every time I change configurations.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It docks into the laptop. Its an all and one unit so you can carry it around. Laptops are made for portability. You wouldn't want to walk around with a seperate keyboard, monitor and a bunch of cables.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Possibly you could do that. The docks (both multimedia and laptop) just add a convenience factor. It is like docking a laptop. I use a dock for my Dell E6510 at work. When I travel or go to a meeting, I just undock it and use it as a laptop. When I'm at my desk, the monitor, keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, LAN, etc., all plug into the dock...so it works like a desktop. I don't have to plug/unplug a bunch of wires every time I change configurations.

+1 The dock also gives you some (full sized) usb ports witch is beneficial over the one micro-usb on the device.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If the docks themselves don't contain any logic to them, what's preventing a third-party from manufacturing one themselves? Especially considering the huge hole that AT&T has created in pricing these docks- anyone can come in and undercut them very easily.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If the docks themselves don't contain any logic to them, what's preventing a third-party from manufacturing one themselves? Especially considering the huge hole that AT&T has created in pricing these docks- anyone can come in and undercut them very easily.

They do contain logic, when you put your device in a dock it does different things...

Examples:
Car Dock ----> Landscape Mode
Home Charging Dock-----> Landscape Mode
Multimedia Dock-----> Prompt comes up asking what you want to do (laptop mode, picture/video viewing mode or nothing)
Laptop Dock----->Goes into laptop mode automatically.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
They do contain logic, when you put your device in a dock it does different things...

Examples:
Car Dock ----> Landscape Mode
Home Charging Dock-----> Landscape Mode
Multimedia Dock-----> Prompt comes up asking what you want to do (laptop mode, picture/video viewing mode or nothing)
Laptop Dock----->Goes into laptop mode automatically.

Or does the phone just recognize it is in the dock and these prompts are coming from the phone itself?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Or does the phone just recognize it is in the dock and these prompts are coming from the phone itself?

The dock would need to be sending some sort of signal prompting the phone to switch into the right mode though. The phone would have no way of knowing which dock it was if the dock itself wasn't telling it what to do.

Reactions: jess.hickey

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The dock would need to be sending some sort of signal prompting the phone to switch into the right mode though. The phone would have no way of knowing which dock it was if the dock itself wasn't telling it what to do.

Yea, all the docks have usb, so i would imagine that there is an interface chip of some sort.

rad204

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Help me understand...
Why is a dock even needed? If the phone has a microUSB input and a video output, why can't I just hook a keyboard and a generic monitor into these slots? Would it be that hard for someone to write an app allowing this?

no webtop without dock

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20