The one thing that's making me hesitant on picking this phone up...

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The network. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with AT&T. I've been using the carrier for about two years now and have had no problems. The thing that worries me is locking myself into non-LTE for 2 years. I live smack in the middle of Philly and NYC so I'm fairly sure LTE will be available in my area within the year.. so I'd be stuck on a non-LTE phone for a year, and that would kill me. This is the main reason I'm leaning towards switching to Verizon and getting the Thunderbolt. Anyone else feel the same?

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I live out in BFE and the only service I get now is 2 bars of Edge. If I hold my mouth right. I am sure this is an issue for the guys that live in big citys but for me out in the sticks, it isn't so much of an issue.

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You have to go the store to get a 1 year plan. You know all US carriers are not real 4G. It's a marketing gimmick.

4G stands for 4th generation. I read the whole article on it and another article that stated LTE is much, much, MUCH faster than HSPA+. Can anyone else confirm that ATT offers 1 year plans? Do I have to pay extra (if so how much)? I've heard that 1 year plans are unobtainable through ATT.

Last edited:

ozziedog

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
.. Can anyone else confirm that ATT offers 1 year plans? Do I have to pay extra (if so how much)? I've heard that 1 year plans are unobtainable through ATT.[/QUOTE]

Back in 2000 before AT&T merged with Cingular I had a 1 year plan on my phone and my wife, but when we added our two kids after the merge I had to do the 2 year plan, AT&T would no longer honor the 1 year. Not saying that it is not their, just saying not their for me.

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
.. Can anyone else confirm that ATT offers 1 year plans? Do I have to pay extra (if so how much)? I've heard that 1 year plans are unobtainable through ATT.
[/QUOTE]

I have seen them for various phones, but in store only.

NOTE: Only available in corporate owned stores not franchise/retailers

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I dont know about the one year plans even at COR stores but i've seen them at places like radioshack, but dont sweat LTE. Verizon and AT&T have both said they have plans to be full LTE by the end of 2013 so you're not gonna miss much while they get to that point. Even though Verizon will have an LTE phone now doesn't mean your town is gonna have LTE. and Verizon's structure and path to LTE leaves a LOT of gaps in speed so you will either have blazing speeds or crawling speeds. At&t has a very supported ramp up structure where 3G is very well covered at 3.6 MBps and 4G is already 100% installed at 7.2 MBps and just needs a little addition of "backhaul" and you will have very consistent speeds and no big drop offs.

So to answer your OG question don't feel like youre gonna miss all the LTE action in the next two years. Heck in 20 months when its time for a new phone I'd be surprised if the LTE network would be widespread enough to even make it worth it. And I have a bad feeling about the data plans/speed pricing on LTE anyway. As for now at&t is gonna let us enjoy 4G speeds at the normal price.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Back in 2000 before AT&T merged with Cingular I had a 1 year plan on my phone and my wife, but when we added our two kids after the merge I had to do the 2 year plan, AT&T would no longer honor the 1 year. Not saying that it is not their, just saying not their for me.

Same here, Once the merger went through I was never able to get a one year contract and that was with a corp. line at the time. And when I changed to a personal line they still said no and that was at a corp. store.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
4G stands for 4th generation. I read the whole article on it and another article that stated LTE is much, much, MUCH faster than HSPA+. Can anyone else confirm that ATT offers 1 year plans? Do I have to pay extra (if so how much)? I've heard that 1 year plans are unobtainable through ATT.

Exactly. Don't get lost in the hype. 4g means 4th generation. No one ever said 4th generation has to be a certain speed. It just means the next evolution in data transfer. And if hspa+ is their next evolution then let them call it 4g.

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Don't get lost in the hype. 4g means 4th generation. No one ever said 4th generation has to be a certain speed. It just means the next evolution in data transfer. And if hspa+ is their next evolution then let them call it 4g.

Yes, but Verizon's LTE is testing much much faster than AT&T's HSPA+

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

Actually the ITU has set a speed for 4G and then when all the mobile operators started calling things 4G that were not meeting the standards they changed them.

So was going to be an offical speed to be called 4G and now it looks like it means just what you said 4th generation.

But I disagree I think it should meet the standards set for because that gives people something solid to look at and know what they should expect from the term.
ITU Finally Agrees a 4G Mobile Broadband Definition and LTE Does Not Qualify − ISPreview UK

ITU Softens on the Definition of 4G Mobile - PCWorld Business Center

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The network. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with AT&T. I've been using the carrier for about two years now and have had no problems. The thing that worries me is locking myself into non-LTE for 2 years. I live smack in the middle of Philly and NYC so I'm fairly sure LTE will be available in my area within the year.. so I'd be stuck on a non-LTE phone for a year, and that would kill me. This is the main reason I'm leaning towards switching to Verizon and getting the Thunderbolt. Anyone else feel the same?
Look at AT&T's upgrade advantage program. Chances are that you would be able to upgrade again before 2 years run out. I have read anywhere from 12-18 months. My own eligibilty is 15 months since my last upgrade.

AT&T Upgrade Advantage(SM) - Wireless from AT&T

Last edited:

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that has me hesitant on picking this phone up is the whole issue of the locked bootloader. I currently have an iPhone but had an Evo before that and one of the things that I loved doing was trying various custom ROMs. I find myself leaning toward the Inspire because we know that it will be possible to load custom ROMs on that phone.

With that being said, I plan on buying the Inspire from somewhere that has a 30-day return policy with no restocking fee. That way, when the Atrix does come out, if we find out that it doesn't have a locked bootloader I can return the Inspire and get the Atrix.

TripperGetem

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
1 Year plans are still available at AT&T. Atleast the ones in my area anyway. It is usually $100 more on the price of a 2 year agreement for phones.