Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    GingerBread GSB 1.7

Default The qHD Screen: A PenTile LCD?

Was really looking forward to checking out these new "qHD" screens Moto has been touting on their upcoming phones... not so much now

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

As far as I know, it's a different type of pentile. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and will return it if it sucks.

It is the RGBW type, rather than RGBG.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

You do know that there's a review thread already with that info in there, right?

Well, like eallan said, if it sucks, I'll take it back. I wasn't buying it for the display, so it probably won't be a deal breaker for me. I would love the display of the iPhone 4 (+.5") on the Atrix, but I think I'll be fine with what we get.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    GingerBread GSB 1.7

Interested to hear more about the screen quality from those that pick this phone up. Thanks

ROM
    Stock

As long as it is par with the inspire it will be fine, I just saw the inspire today and the screen quality was more than adequate.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

I was also surprised by the bad camera quality.

Dang, I'm actually quite disappointed with the camera. Darnit. I mean, I'm not buying the phone for its camera, but when compared to the iPhone 4, it really suffers. It almost looks like maybe there was a fingerprint smudge over the lens. It is really fuzzy and the blacks are not black at all. Poo!!

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts

Let's get it out of the way now, no phone out there so far has beaten the iPhone4's camera except for the Nokia N8.
    It's all down to sensors and no one is really pushing that now but instead tricking consumers by just having bigger megapixels.

Also, if you really need a good camera for pictures, just invest in a simple point and shoot or an actual camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    Let's get it out of the way now, no phone out there so far has beaten the iPhone4's camera except for the Nokia N8.
    It's all down to sensors and no one is really pushing that now but instead tricking consumers by just having bigger megapixels.

Also, if you really need a good camera for pictures, just invest in a simple point and shoot or an actual camera.
    Agreed. I think cell phone cameras are good for that sudden picture but if you want good pictures and are going to an event nothing beats an actual digital camera. I dont care about the phone camera, as long as it takes pictures when its not supposed to when im doing things im not supposed to be doing.

ROM
    Stock

+1 Megapixels are secondary to other parameters in cameras.

ROM
    CM9 Beta

Personally, I think the iPhone's camera is oversatured. Sure, it looks good, but so would almost any cameraphone with a couple filters applied.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
    Personally, I think the iPhone's camera is oversatured. Sure, it looks good, but so would almost any cameraphone with a couple filters applied.
    Not true. The ****-tastic camera on the MyTouch 4G won't look any better with filters applied. The iPhone's lens is just straight up BETTER than most anything on the market right now.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

There's really no excuse for a device as high end as the Atrix to have such a poor camera. I know the quality will not match a good point and shoot, but the technology to make it good is there and readily available.

The truth is, people rely on their smartphones to be their "everything" in their pocket, and this includes pictures. People take their phones everywhere, and should be able to take pictures when the moments strick without carrying a secondary device around all the time. I only take pictures sometimes, but I do expect them to be of decent, dare I say 'good' quality (for a phone) when I buy a $500+ device. Even my N1 has a better camera quality than this.

Devices this high end should be quality through and through.
    Thanked by:
    ka3yan 

ROM
    CM9 Beta

I'm still reserving judgement until I see more pics. My Nexus One's camera is blurry- you have to make sure your subject and hand are still, so I'm hoping that the Atrix's sensors and ISO speeds are fast enough. I'll definitely miss the tap to focus though

I have been pleased with the camera on my 3Gs. Ever since my daughter was born, I found myself taking a bunch of pics, I think there are 1500 or so on my phone now. I'm sure that the atrix will take better pics than the 3Gs does, so it may not be the best of everything in the industry, it is still better than what I got. Let the iPhone crowd have the better camera, while we are on our faster, larger capacity phones doing things that would make Steve Jobs cringe we will remember who made the better choice. I for one am fed up with mother apple.

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

And if you are really buying a phone for its camera, then go get the N8........oh wait, you won't cause then you'll have more things to complain about. I suggest you go make your own phone and THEN complain about whether or not it is feasible to have everything you want in it.
    Just about the dumbest argument you can make. So i can't complain about anything unless I make one that is better? Glad you're not in charge of product development anywhere.

p.s. lens aren't the problem. It is the sensors. To have better pictures, you need better and bigger sensors, but when manufacturers put those in a smartphone, then you'll be complaining about how thick the phone is. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.
    Because the iPhone 4 is SO thick right?

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts

And if you are really buying a phone for its camera, then go get the N8........oh wait, you won't cause then you'll have more things to complain about. I suggest you go make your own phone and THEN complain about whether or not it is feasible to have everything you want in it.

If you want to say that your phone can do better pictures, then go ahead, cause there are many other factors involved besides just the phone...... unless you actually get the same person to take the same photo at the same time without any discrepancy one way or another, you'll never have the perfect comparison toll.

p.s. lens aren't the problem. It is the sensors. To have better pictures, you need better and bigger sensors, but when manufacturers put those in a smartphone, then you'll be complaining about how thick the phone is. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.
    Sigh. Don't get so defensive. And yes, I can complain about a crappy feature that was crippled on a high end device, and am still able to do so without having a phone tooling factory in my basement. The Atrix could have had great optics, Motorola chose to cut corners here. The iPhone 4 is not thick, and its camera is amazing. And no I don't like the iPhone before you get into a 'well then go buy an iPhone' tizzy.

Did you look at the article on Anandtech? That picture should have been pretty clear, and the ones you posted, maybe two were decent.

The point is, there is NO reason for a high end phone to have such crappy optics anymore. End of story.
    Thanked by:

The argument that if you want a good photograph...buy a camera, is way old. With phones now offering cameras as good or better than some point-and-shoots, the argument is moot. Who carries there camera and their phone with them everywhere they go (that isn't a reporter or professional photog)? Not too many people. If when my phone comes, I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of the camera, I'm sending it back.

I'm not a brand snob. I wanted a phone with Android because I've never had one. I picked the Atrix because it was the best that AT&T offered. If I'm not happy with it, I'll just wait a little while longer and maybe get the iPhone 5. I want something that I'll be happy with for the next two years.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ka3yan View Post
    The argument that if you want a good photograph...buy a camera, is way old. With phones now offering cameras as good or better than some point-and-shoots, the argument is moot. Who carries there camera and their phone with them everywhere they go (that isn't a reporter or professional photog)? Not too many people. If when my phone comes, I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of the camera, I'm sending it back.
    Doesn't tegra support up to 12 megapixel stills? Its really stupid that they put a 5 mp sensor in there because they could have really easily done better.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by NVIDIA
    Image Signal Processor (ISP) — Take sharp brilliant pictures with support for up to 12 MP cameras. The integrated image signal processor (ISP) includes proprietary algorithms that enable image and video stabilization, face tracking, advanced trick modes, light balance, edge enhancement, and noise reduction to deliver real-time photo enhancement capabilities.

ROM
    CM9 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by textiaac View Post
    Doesn't tegra support up to 12 megapixel stills? Its really stupid that they put a 5 mp sensor in there because they could have really easily done better.

EDIT:
    It's highly likely that Moto just put in 5mp sensor to cut costs. After all, the phone is pretty feature-packed compared to its current competition.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by corneliusm View Post
    It's highly likely that Moto just put in 5mp sensor to cut costs. After all, the phone is pretty feature-packed compared to its current competition.
    True, but as an android geek, i like cool stuff and big numbers.

This is just for my personal situation, but I happen to love flickr and traveling, so I already have a fantastic Panasonic Lumix camera that I absolutely adore. I don't care if my Atrix has a bad camera I do care if I'm going to be charged for tethering, though...I heard we can disable this after the first month's bill and keep the ability of using the laptop dock though? Is this true?

edit: However, that doesn't change the fact that I definitely agree that such a high-end phone should have a better camera by now.

I too have a really nice Panasonic Lumix FZ20. I know, kind of dated, but such a great camera. It's no pocket point and shoot though. I'm not even upset about the Atrix having a 5MP camera. The apple phone has a 5MP camera. I'm just wishing it took better pics. I was looking at engadget's review and looking at how purple the blacks are...me no likey!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonneh View Post
    ... I do care if I'm going to be charged for tethering, though...I heard we can disable this after the first month's bill and keep the ability of using the laptop dock though? Is this true?
    Alright, just read the incredibly in-depth (best review ever, wow) review from Anandtech. After switching back & forth on trying to decide to get the laptop dock or not at its ridiculous pricing, I ended up saying "fine, I'll get it & the phone bundle for the $500 + tax". Then, the tethering charge was realized. I really don't want to pay any more a month than I already do, being a poor college student (also a cheap one. hate spending too much money). Like I said, I've heard you can pay the first month's bill with the tethering added, and then tell them you want to take tethering off, and you can keep your laptop dock and still use it with wifi from your phone...but, again, not sure if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm yet?

However, now I've read this part of Anandtech's review about the docks, specifically the laptop dock, and I'm beginning to think, with my current situation of being quite low on funds, maybe I just shouldn't even bother with that particular dock. I'd really be wanting it for college classes (typing up notes quite often), and heavy (preferably HD) youtube usage. Both of which the Atrix 4G doesn't seem to have quuuite enough juice to power the dock with, according to the review. I quote:

"Where the Firefox/PC experience breaks down is the minute you ask for more than a simple browsing experience. Typing in Google Docs is laggy. With a couple of browser tabs open I found that I could type three sentences before they'd appear in my document.

YouTube playback works, however anything above 360p begins to drop frames. While 480p is playable, anything higher is basically impossible to watch. Motorola preloads Flash 10.1.120.10 with hardware acceleration in its webtop Linux however there doesn't appear to be any way to force an update. You'll note that this is the same version of Flash that the Optimus 2X was running, although I'm not convinced that GPU acceleration is fully enabled under Motorola's webtop Linux. Monitoring CPU usage in Android shows that playing a YouTube video in webtop Linux eats up between 50 - 80% of the two ARM Cortex A9s. Hilariously enough, HTML5 video is unwatchable in Firefox on the Atrix 4G.

Light usage isn't bad, but open too many tabs and you quickly get a worse-than-netbook browsing experience on the Atrix 4G.

You can Alt+Tab to switch between windows when you're in webtop Linux however even bringing up the task switcher is incredibly laggy at times.

It's clear that the webtop app is Motorola's main reason for including 1GB of memory on the Atrix. The Android VM typically eats up around 40% of available memory, with Firefox another 16% during light usage. While Motorola could've gotten by with only 768MB, I believe the 1GB is probably perfect for the Atrix if you're going to be using it in webtop mode.
    "

So, now I'm leaning more towards not bothering with the extra expense of the laptop dock...but I wish I had the financial freedom of not worrying about the extra expense and that I could just buy it right now like some of you have done! =)
    So, as of now, I'm super undecided. Leaning towards the regular dock, vehicle dock, and the phone...only. And not adding any dumb tethering fee to my bills.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast