I've received my car dock!

BuddhaBravo

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
5453736675_2916a1c6ef_z.jpg

I just received my car dock from AT&T. Some notes:

- it has a plastic spacer you can insert into the dock or remove if your phone is in a case.

- though a single microUSB cable plugs into the dock, the other end of it is split into full size USB *and* a standard headphone jack, so the dock will output audio as well.

- It does NOT come with a lighter plug! Just the USB cable. The box says "USB power adapter sold separately. Are they kidding?

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
5453736675_2916a1c6ef_z.jpg

I just received my car dock from AT&T. Some notes:

- it has a plastic spacer you can insert into the dock or remove if your phone is in a case.

- though a single microUSB cable plugs into the dock, the other end of it is split into full size USB *and* a standard headphone jack, so the dock will output audio as well.

- It does NOT come with a lighter plug! Just the USB cable. The box says "USB power adapter sold separately. Are they kidding?

Can you post a picture of the USB cable that splits into USB and headphone jack? I am curious to see how this works. Also - how long is the cable? Is it coiled or straight?

Thank you.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
5453799009_1538e764ed_z.jpg

The cable, straight, not coiled, is just a bit short of 5 feet long. It also comes with a male-to-male audio cable, also almost 5 feet long, to plug between the jack on the USB cable and your stereo.

So the USB cable has a female 3.5mm headphone jack. That is perfect as I have an aftermarket set up that ties in my current phone into the stock stereo that has a female to RCA cable running into my center console. That means I should be able to plug that directly into that jack and I am good to go.

Wow...that is a perfect set up. (for me anyway). I can not wait to have this set up in my CTS. My car will finally have a navigation system!

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!

can you post pictures of the plastic spacer? and maybe an upclose of the actual area where it goes, so we can gauge what cases will fit, etc?

Also, is the suction cup arm detachable from the cradle or is it just one huge piece?

And, yeah well it sucks that it doesn't have a lighter plug, most cars today have usb ports installed standard. At least lighter plugs are cheap.

Thanks!

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!

can you post pictures of the plastic spacer? and maybe an upclose of the actual area where it goes, so we can gauge what cases will fit, etc?

Also, is the suction cup arm detachable from the cradle or is it just one huge piece?

And, yeah well it sucks that it doesn't have a lighter plug, most cars today have usb ports installed standard. At least lighter plugs are cheap.

Thanks!

I just ordered this one on Amazon.com to be delivered on the 21st:

Amazon.com: Kensington K39242US USB Car Charger for All USB-Powered Device (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

It is a little more than some of the others, but it is shorter and will have a more flush look when not in use.

Man - I am getting excited about how this phone purchase is coming together!!!

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That will work perfect for me. Since this dock will be taking the place of my GPS there is already power ran that way. I also have an AUX in on my stereo, so I should be able to get this hooked up to the stereo with no problems.
If this thing will let me dock with an Otter Box, I will be in heaven....

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Man, now I want one... will it charge via that USB cable? If so, then that's the way to go. Just get an adapter that changes your lighter outlet to a USB charger. Probably cheaper too.

Can they only be "pre-ordered" from a store? I don't see them available online...

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered this one on Amazon.com to be delivered on the 21st:

Amazon.com: Kensington K39242US USB Car Charger for All USB-Powered Device (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

It is a little more than some of the others, but it is shorter and will have a more flush look when not in use.

Man - I am getting excited about how this phone purchase is coming together!!!

True, but for those that want to spend as little as possible:
Amazon.com: 2 Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Dual Plug for iPod MP3 Players Charger - Color White: Cell Phones & Accessories

$0.47 and it gives 2 usb ports.

I'm just glad my car has usb ports, 2 12volt adapters and aux jacks :) I just wish people figured out a new way instead of suction cups for these car holders.

BuddhaBravo

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
5454559914_7b03d0aa0b.jpg

As you can see (kind of) the spacer, on the left, is very, very thin. I can't imagine that removing it would allow for anything more than a thin skin.

The suction mount itself ends in a ball joint that snaps into the back of the cradle and then secures by tightening a threaded ring. It is two pieces.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks BuddhaBravo!

Hmm......hopefully the otterbox commuter can still fit in there, cause if it can.......I'll just grab that dock and a Tetrax magnet holder so I don't have to put it on my windshield but on the dash instead :)

thecavemankevin

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
can it easily rotate to be used in portrait mode? I ask because i have an iphone dock that does this and that's the way i like it. I wont use it for navi as my tom-tom works perfect. For me this or another doc will be used to keep it nice and centralized for mp3 to my stereo and calling.

anon(41845)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
True, but for those that want to spend as little as possible:
Amazon.com: 2 Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Dual Plug for iPod MP3 Players Charger - Color White: Cell Phones & Accessories

$0.47 and it gives 2 usb ports.

I'm just glad my car has usb ports, 2 12volt adapters and aux jacks :) I just wish people figured out a new way instead of suction cups for these car holders.

Keep in mind the link you just posted is not shipped by Amazon.com - so the shipping is $2.98 with a 3-5 day delivery window. With Amazon Prime I can get the other one for free in two days. Also - my car (CTS) is all black on the inside...I didn't want something long and white sticking out of the dash.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind the link you just posted is not shipped by Amazon.com - so the shipping is $2.98 with a 3-5 day delivery window. With Amazon Prime I can get the other one for free in two days. Also - my car (CTS) is all black on the inside...I didn't want something long and white sticking out of the dash.

ROFL

sorry, but couldn't help but laugh at that line haha.

BuddhaBravo

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Man, now I want one... will it charge via that USB cable? If so, then that's the way to go. Just get an adapter that changes your lighter outlet to a USB charger. Probably cheaper too.

Can they only be "pre-ordered" from a store? I don't see them available online...

Yes, it does charge from the USB cable.

I ordered this and the multimedia dock from my local AT&T store on Tuesday. This one shipped and, so far, the other one hasn't. Go figure.

BuddhaBravo

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
can it easily rotate to be used in portrait mode? I ask because i have an iphone dock that does this and that's the way i like it. I wont use it for navi as my tom-tom works perfect. For me this or another doc will be used to keep it nice and centralized for mp3 to my stereo and calling.

It rotates freely a full 360 degrees and is secured by a bolt on the back.