Google Maps w/ Nav vs. Navigator?

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I see that the Atrix has Google Maps pre-loaded. I assume it comes with Navigation. Does AT&T charge extra for this functionality, as with AT&T Navigator, or can we just use Google Maps with Navigation.

Sorry for the noob question...new to Android, and always loved having Google Maps on my E71x.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
AT&T Navigator is also preloaded, but costs $10/month to use. Google Navigation (which is in beta) is part of Google Maps with no additional cost.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been using AT&T Navigator with my Blackberry because - obviously - there is no turn-by-turn navigation through Google Maps on the Crapberry. That $9.99/month was rough, but it worked well and it was better than buying a separate GPS while I waited to switch to Android.

I have no intention of paying for that now, and as far as I know there's no reason to. Google Maps turn-by-turn is quite good (despite being beta, although we know how Google uses the beta term for years on end) and best of all its free.

AT&T Navigator will probably be one of the first crapware apps I remove from my Atrix.

@SirGeorge: With AT&T navigator you need to have cell service for the maps, and when you first start it up. But it will guide you with basic instructions via GPS even if you lose cell service on your route. Not sure how Google Maps handles that.

Creek

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using AT&T Navigator with my Blackberry because - obviously - there is no turn-by-turn navigation through Google Maps on the Crapberry. That $9.99/month was rough, but it worked well and it was better than buying a separate GPS while I waited to switch to Android.

I have no intention of paying for that now, and as far as I know there's no reason to. Google Maps turn-by-turn is quite good (despite being beta, although we know how Google uses the beta term for years on end) and best of all its free.

AT&T Navigator will probably be one of the first crapware apps I remove from my Atrix.

@SirGeorge: With AT&T navigator you need to have cell service for the maps, and when you first start it up. But it will guide you with basic instructions via GPS even if you lose cell service on your route. Not sure how Google Maps handles that.

Garmin has an app for $99 for the Blackberry. I've been using it for2 years.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Garmin has an app for $99 for the Blackberry. I've been using it for2 years.

Yeah, i thought about something like that but I used the Navigator for less than 10 months so the 9.99 was still worth it.

I briefly tried using Waze - anyone give that a try? I didn't have much luck with it, it tried to get me to turn onto freeways from underpasses.

http://www.waze.com/homepage/

Cool concept, poor execution.

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
For $10 a month, I will take my chances with the Beta. I pay AT&T enough already.

That was my point exactly. Not paying AT&T $9.99/month if there's a free alternative. Apparently the new version does include turn-by-turn... Sign me up.

Thanks for the answers. Awaiting delivery tomorrow...

vlstyles

Feb 19, 2011
www.sdbell.com
CoPilot Live 8 is my choice. The North American Map is about 1.5 GB to download, but you can also download state by state I believe. There is turn by turn and other continent maps as well. If you get the directions from Google Navigation (while you have an active data connection (Wifi or Mobile), they will stay loaded until you exit Navigation or grossly deviate from the indicated route. FYI it's not that much data transferred for the directions in Google Navigator.

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I was wondering how much data does Google Maps use? With Navigation? 200MB/month, one would be in a really short supply, really soon.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I was wondering how much data does Google Maps use? With Navigation? 200MB/month, one would be in a really short supply, really soon.

Good question.

I'd be wanting to test this out since i use navi very often. Is there a program for android to keep track of your data across BT, Radio, WiFI?

Had this on webOS with something called "NetStat"

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a program for android to keep track of your data across BT, Radio, WiFI?
Try 3G Watchdog (the pro version is here) or NetCounter. Set them up with your billing date and data "allowance" and then it will automatically zero itself when the new billing cycle starts. Lots of other data counter apps out there, so just find one that you like best.

Also, make sure you set your WiFi sleep policy to never; that way, when it's available, you'll use it by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: giograves

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Is that a toggle for prioritizing WiFi over network data?
In a way, yes. It's handy when you get back home, say, and it just automatically connects to your WiFi without you having to do it manually every time. Also, it's a way to make sure WiFi signal isn't dropped when the phone goes to sleep, which can happen.

Good way to know when WiFi is available while you're out, too. It's amazing how many places just throw it in for free and they don't always tell you it's there. There are a bunch of WiFi apps, like WiFi Manager and WiFinder, that might work better than whatever the default is on the Atrix, so you may want to check them out, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic Nebulous

dickr947

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Another point to check with a new phone - does Google maps shows an accurate location? And set up a route to somewhere near.

My phone location was accurate, so I set up a route to a local drug store which was in the POI. It routed me to a home 1 mile away!
NG!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34