Atrix 4G won't play any content 720p or above...

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Anytime I try to play a video file that's 720p or bigger it the Video Player comes up with an error window saying "File cannot be displayed or played". I've tried playing the videos in Rock Player and they don't work there either (either jittery, don't play at all, or only display the first frame while the sound plays in the background).

For reference: all the files are in the mp4 container and are h264 or standard mpeg file type. I've even tried using TubeMate to download videos in 720p from YouTube and those don't work either. I've tried using an external MicroSD and same error.

All of these files work *perfectly* on my Galaxy Tab and any computer I try them on.

For reference, although it wouldn't make a difference, I rooted the device the second it came out of the box.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
did a bit more research...found weird things.

Transcoding my videos to FFmpeg (still 720p) even up to around 2,000kbps (didn't try higher) bitrate...the videos worked fine. In h264 they didn't work at all. Currently transcoding a video a few times to test a theory...but I'll report back in a few minutes.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok even transcoding the videos smaller than the screen display size (960x540) doesn't make them work if they're in h264. I'm completely lost... I'd appreciate someone else trying this stuff out too and seeing if it's just my phone...

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok even transcoding the videos smaller than the screen display size (960x540) doesn't make them work if they're in h264. I'm completely lost... I'd appreciate someone else trying this stuff out too and seeing if it's just my phone...

i'll try right now. give me a few minutes.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
On XDA they said apparently the Tegra 2 doesn't support high-profile H.264...not quite sure what type of limitations that entails since it *does* read H.264...just not high resolution or something. Someone said I'd want to use the baseline codec (and probably without b frames). Not sure if it'll work but trying it now...

Last edited:

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
well it didn't play my 1080p movie which i encoded in handbrake at h264. I don't know much about high profile or anything though.

hotleadsingerguy

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
See...if you encode in FFmpeg there's no limitation...I encoded a 1080p video at 2,000kbps bitrate in FFmpeg...and it played perfectly.

I just wish I knew *what* the H.264 limitation was. It seems to play some lower-resolution files completely fine (played a 640x480 file without problem) but not much higher. Even at the same bitrates and same settings other than resolution. It's weird.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Are the movies/videos that won't play ( getting error) over 2gigs in file size?

Sent from my D1! But would rather send from a Xoom using Tapatalk!!!

Kalashnikev

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was just about to post the same thing... the new thread/ search feature is awesome!

I tried uploading a 1080p ~1G .MP4 and I get the error message, but the sound still plays and the trackbar works.

What's the deal with this? Do I have to downgrade the resolution of my entire collection to use it with Atrix???

This sucks.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't there something from Motorola that said they would be supporting 1080p video post launch? I would think 720p would still work fine though, so I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12