Wireless HOTSPOT Teathering Free!!!

tb123

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
got to follow the directions to a t then u got to select it form the list once u finish it will create a wireless hotspot let me take a picture of my settings

tb123

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
my pics are not turning out too good blame it on the screen lol but follow the direction exactly and it will work

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
just so everyone is aware as well, if you root your atrix, you can download an app called "wireless tether" from the marketplace, which at&t is not able to track

Reactions: Jonneh

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
just so everyone is aware as well, if you root your atrix, you can download an app called "wireless tether" from the marketplace, which at&t is not able to track

thanks good to know.. anyone can easily be misguided on what steps to do before ATT tracks you down and slams you with their tethering bill :confused:

jiggytom

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Where Can I find this "wireless tether" app. Not showing up in the market place.

Also, if we can enable tethering by adding the APN, what is the next step to tether? I was able to enable the wifi hotspot, but the above poster states that ATT can "find out" we are using tethering...is this true?

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
on the wireless teathers..i thought i read that most/all of them worked fine, to get around having to pay for it, but doesn't have/support https connections. are there any package that does support https connections for free or they all paided apps? or what is safest way to get it setup to supporting wirless teathersing and not getting caught by ma bell.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Word of warning!
I have been using the method described in the xda link. I just got hit with usage charges for data. I have an unlimited data plan and using the APN described in the link apparently is seen separately by ATT. I got a text message from ATT warning me that I had incurred over $20 of usage charges. Sure enough, when I logged on to my account I see data charges for "wap.cingular".
Knew it was too good to be true.

EDIT:
Sorry - false alarm. It turns out AT&T decided to delete my unlimited data plan and start to charge me by the MB. D'oh

Last edited:

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Word of warning!
I have been using the method described in the xda link. I just got hit with usage charges for data. I have an unlimited data plan and using the APN described in the link apparently is seen separately by ATT. I got a text message from ATT warning me that I had incurred over $20 of usage charges. Sure enough, when I logged on to my account I see data charges for "wap.cingular".
Knew it was too good to be true.

Have you been using tethering?
I doubt it is because of the apn. If you check your settings ATT placed multiple APNs on the phone and two of them are wap.cingular
Do you have text messaging? Check to make sure they actually added the unlimited plan and you aren't on some limited plan.
I've been using the ATT US apn that they provided and have not been charged anything extra and it does show up as wap.cingular on my account for data usage.
I am not tethering though.

pleonasm

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. I just got tethering working on my Atrix yesterday. You need the latest version of Wireless Tether (2.0.7 as of this writing). Go to:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

and download "wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk". Install that badboy onto your Atrix and you should be good to go. Of course, as it's already been mentioned, you must have root access into your phone.

I first tried with 2.0.6, but couldn't get it to work, and then I went to download one of the 'experimental' releases, only to find that version 2.0.7 had just been uploaded less than one minute earlier! :) So I installed that one and BOOM! I'm tethering like a pro! :)

And hey, may I just say that the developers of Wireless Tether work really hard to bring us such a great thing. Their labors save us a lot of money. If it works for you and you decide to keep using it, please do consider throwing them a bone. Just think of all the money that you would otherwise be spending to tether. Just sayin'... I don't normally pay for software, but these guys deserve our support.

pleonasm

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Where Can I find this "wireless tether" app. Not showing up in the market place.

It's not showing up because of the way the Android Market does selective filtering based on your particular device/carrier, and what particular filters that the developer of the app specified when they uploaded their app to the Market. See this link for an explanation:

Market Filters | Android Developers

In our case, it's being filtered because our carrier is ATT. According to the above link, the developer specified this restriction. I find that very hard to believe. Sounds a lot more to me like ATT pulled some strings to prevent their users from getting the app to avoid being robbed by the stupid tethering plan.