Data and WiFi Question

Grim Reaper

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys just wanted to confirm here. When my device is connected to a WiFi network no data will be used right? But as soon as it isn't data from my data plan is automatically being used right? Is there any special setting to stop data usage from my data plan while connected to wifi, or you don't have to do anything?

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea I am wondering that too because I still se h+ when I ser the wick logo... what's up with that?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yea I am wondering that too because I still se h+ when I ser the wick logo... what's up with that?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

You may see the H+ logo, but if you look underneath it, there are no up and down arrows while you are on wifi. Turn wifi off, and you will see the arrows and it means you are using your data plan.

On a side note, check out the app "Tasker" in the market. It can turn your wifi on based on you location, so when you get to your home or work, your wifi turns on automatically.

Reactions: gajenjen

gajenjen

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got my atrix, I'm a newb to smartphones in general though. Over 3 days while at home on my wireless linksys I have managed to use 8mb already. Ive been searching to find out how to save my data since i only got the 200mb plan. I think the motoblur that was forced upon me has something to do with it. All email & Facebook notifications come to the phone as they occur, even that widget is uploading FB statuses all the time. So I went to menu-> settings->Data manager->Data Delivery->Disable background data (extends battery life & lowers data use)->Email & corporate sync->email delivery sync over wifi only (can also change fetch schedule here- don't know what that is. lol)-> back->back->Social applications-> sync over wifi only. I think this will help save some of my data usage. I really don't want to use data to update statuses on a widget when i can look at them when i get home for free. lol Either way I still think I'm being charged while on wifi. I read in another forum that if you put it in airplane mode & wifi on then you won't be using data, so when in the app market & downloading apps I do that, but it disables calls and texts so i just do it at night. I'm so glad to see a post about the atrix! I have had trouble finding info on them because they are so new. Any info that can be given is greatly appreciated to this Newb! And if what i did is wrong and will hurt me in the long run or has side effects i haven't noticed yet, please let me know! lol ;)

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the data leaching from cell data is just an Android thing, period. My Captivate did it, my wife's Backflip did, and now her Inspire as well. I've even tried shutting off the cell data, still doesn't stop it completely. It's a lack of code optimization on the device.

For comparison, my primary devices will always be iOS ( I carry 2 phones all the time, work and personal separation). None of my iPhones have had that issue, and swapping the sims stops the data leach, so it is a software problem.

gajenjen

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I also got this tip from a friend:

A good tip for conserving data would be to go to Menu > Setting > Wireless & networks > Wifi settings > Menu button > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy and change that to never. This will keep you connected to Wi-fi at all possible times so that you don't have to worry about background data while the screen is off or it's charging overnight. :)

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Also, if you are on a GSM device on T-Mob or ATT you can get APNDroid that will completely and totally shut off carrier data. It modifies the APNs so the phone can't connect to the carrier data. I've used it on my N1 and now my Atrix. It really helps w/ battery life if you don't need/want data at that time. I have a widget on my launcher and I use Tasker to control it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol