Data Speed Sucks on Atrix!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Ok, quite honestly, who CARES about Verizon and their LTE in a forum for the ATRIX??

And BACK TO THE SUBJECT, I just picked up an Atrix as well, and there is SOMETHING wrong here. My download speeds are 2g speeds, I am getting about 0.4Mbs on average. My wife, with her Inspire is getting about 3Mbs.

Truly something is wrong, and I am going to make sure AT&T (and if they give me any gruff, every customer in the store) hears about this tomorrow. Phone is great other than that.

Now go over to Verizon forums if you want to talk LTE...

Just because it's a forum for the Atrix doesn't mean we can't use comparisons to other 4G networks. This specific thread talks about the data speeds on the Atrix. I was bringing up comparisons to AT&T's fake 4G and hoping people realize that they aren't going to magically see better bandwidth on these AT&T devices.

If I wanted to talk about flying donkeys, I can. There's no rules saying I must reference ONLY a thread's subject in any given thread.

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Like I've said 4G LTE on Verizon is the only *TRUE* 4G we'll see for awhile.

I am getting 30Mbps down, 8Mbps up and 30-40ms response.. now THAT's 4G.

I dont know what you're smoking but I am getting 4-8mbps (6mbps on average) consistently using my EVO on Sprints 4G Network in most 4G markets, I travel all over the country 3 weeks out of the month. BTW, thats not just at the airport, I have been around the city and some our the suburbs / outskirts and the speed is pretty good.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I was in Dana Point, CA last week and seeing 4-6Mbps on my internal 3G card on my laptop.. that's with AT&T's service.

If carriers are all claiming 4G is about speed..than Verizon is the only network with a true 4G network.. it's consistantly given me 20-30Mbps everywhere I go.

I'll get screenshots tomorrow..

ipluris

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just because it's a forum for the Atrix doesn't mean we can't use comparisons to other 4G networks. This specific thread talks about the data speeds on the Atrix. I was bringing up comparisons to AT&T's fake 4G and hoping people realize that they aren't going to magically see better bandwidth on these AT&T devices.

If I wanted to talk about flying donkeys, I can. There's no rules saying I must reference ONLY a thread's subject in any given thread.

True, there are no rules.. Now out of curiosity, how much are you being paid by Verizon to post how much better LTE is every where, in particular on discussions that has nothing to do with it? Just wondering if it is enough to maybe get in on.

And the issue was not even seeing 4G speeds, it was about an obvious bug / flaw in the phone or in the settings that AT&T put on the phones that pushes download speeds into effective EDGE speeds.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
True, there are no rules.. Now out of curiosity, how much are you being paid by Verizon to post how much better LTE is every where, in particular on discussions that has nothing to do with it? Just wondering if it is enough to maybe get in on.

And the issue was not even seeing 4G speeds, it was about an obvious bug / flaw in the phone or in the settings that AT&T put on the phones that pushes download speeds into effective EDGE speeds.

I'm not a Verizon rep, I'm not getting Verizon kickbacks at all. My beef is SOLELY with AT&T and T-Mobile calling their HSPA+ network's "4G" and then confusing the heck out of consumers into thinking that they are going to magically see faster speeds going from an iPhone 4 to one of their so-called "4G" devices.

My beef is that most of the blog world is completely blinded by this fact. I'm anti-carrier.. I hate them all.. what kills me is when I see people go "I need help with my iPhone 4G"...

As of right now, Verizon's 4G LTE is the lesser of the 4G evil monikers..

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
@hotleadsingerguy - look at your network settings. My understanding from folks who worked on the LTE network is that you can get the speeds sniffs is talking about 20-30 Mbps down by changing some network settings. Not sure about that on mac.

As Far as att goes, their 3g network was crap, so what makes any of you think their 4g will be any differnent? Also will the atrix support LTE when att starts rolling it out in the swcond half of this year?

(also from what I understand VZW bought most of the 700MHz spectrum so att's LTE network will not be much better in scale then their 3g network.)

Also I ran speed test from an Inspire HD in manhatten with 4 bars of H+ and got less than 1 Mbps down. That's pretty pathetic.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I get this on AVERAGE.

1184929901.png

That is with 2 bars here in downtown Irvine, CA

When I go home, I get full 4 bars/100% signal where it nearly doubles, 30Mbps down and 7-8Mbps up.

Verizon LTE BLOWS away any other "4G".. plain and simple. :)

here's another one I just ran,

1184938104.png

Last edited:

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I get about 4 times the speed on my iPhone 4 than my Atrix did. My Inspire would get nearly twice the speed as my Atrix. All running on Att's network at the same spot with no wifi invloved. Yes agree they were not good

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how fast sniffs eats through that data cap. My average isn't that high. Closer to 6-8 megs down. But not having a cap is more important for me.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I really haven't noticed that much of a change in data speeds from my Atrix to my iPhone 4.. yes my i4 is faster but the Atrix is never 'slow' to me..

zizo79

Banned
Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My speeds just got worse today (.5 down, .12 up coming from 2 down and .2 up). Here is to hoping AT&T is messing up with the towers to remove the cap haha

zizo79

Banned
Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This is the most insane thing I have heard in a while..I have been having issue with my data today and I called AT&T to see if there were any outages in my area. I was told that everything is fine but I wish I could have recorded the conversation. So I asked the CSR why would the Atrix have lower download speeds than my iPhone 4, he said the reason why is that the Atrix uses Internet Explorer like browser and that the iPhone uses Safari which is better because it stores less cache... SMH I really regret not recording it...

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
This is the most insane thing I have heard in a while..I have been having issue with my data today and I called AT&T to see if there were any outages in my area. I was told that everything is fine but I wish I could have recorded the conversation. So I asked the CSR why would the Atrix have lower download speeds than my iPhone 4, he said the reason why is that the Atrix uses Internet Explorer like browser and that the iPhone uses Safari which is better because it stores less cache... SMH I really regret not recording it...

That rep is an idiot, as are most(unfortunately.)

All the stock mobile browsers on Android, iOS and WP7 use webkit.

Reactions: zizo79

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz