Iphone 4 to Atrix 4g Who made the switch

pro4g

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys I just switched from the Iphone 4 to the atrix. Had a few questions
Can you video chat via skype from the droid if so how?

is it me or is the screen clarity on the atrix a lot less bright and crisp than the iphone 4.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys I just switched from the Iphone 4 to the atrix. Had a few questions
Can you video chat via skype from the droid if so how?

is it me or is the screen clarity on the atrix a lot less bright and crisp than the iphone 4.

As far as I know skype currently does not support video chat on android. You can use Qik though. Make sure you get the Qik for the atrix and obviously the other party you are trying to video chat with must have Qik as well. Tango is another free app that will work. I did have a few crashes when I tried tango, but none with Qik.

I agree that the Iphone 4 is a lot crisper.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The rep who took care of me said she has had 3 generations of iPhones, currently has the iPhone 4 and is very tempted to switch to the Atrix.

I got the feeling she started agreeing with anything and everything I said, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, everyone is saying iPhone4's retina display is a bit better. Luckily I don't have one to compare it to so I don't worry about it :) (I came from a Bold 9000)

Grape Drank

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it's a matter of 4" screen on atrix vs 3.5" screen on iphone. so it would make sense that the iphone's display is a bit sharper. the retina display term is a ******ed marketing device.

justinangil

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The rep who took care of me said she has had 3 generations of iPhones, currently has the iPhone 4 and is very tempted to switch to the Atrix.

I got the feeling she started agreeing with anything and everything I said, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, everyone is saying iPhone4's retina display is a bit better. Luckily I don't have one to compare it to so I don't worry about it :) (I came from a Bold 9000)

Coming from the 9000 too! Going to pick mine up today!

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I switched. I hate apple...
1. Can't handle their dictatorship!
2. No flash
3. Can't use my choice of email client.
4. Can't use my choice of browser.
5. No custom ROMs
6. Application restrictions on the app market.
...the list is endless!

bradoggk

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the iP4 myself

Hello -new guy here-

Switched my iPhone 4 for the Atrix myself and thus far I've been extremely impressed, and this is coming from the guy who was never really a fan of the Android OS...

Initial Impressions:

The good:

- Screen is obviously not as sharp as the iP4 but it really doesn't bother me, I like the screen real estate better not to mention the fact that it's ALMOST the iP4's resolution. Another note - I can see the Pentile screen but it's not that bothersome (in contrast I had a Samsung Focus for a month that was SAMOLED Pentile at 800x480 and it REALLY bothered me!)

- Speed is incredible. Angry birds (albeit in different a different OS) loads in nearly half the time as the iPhone. WOW!

- Browser is absolutely screaming. Whoops the iP4 in every test I can throw at it hands down. (took less than half the time the iP4 needed to run Sunspider benchmark)

- Interface is subjective, but I actually don't mind Motoblur... I like the customization abilities. Steve Jobs shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my home screen. 20 home screen icons in a 4x5 grid is SO 2007. :p

- Lapdock is sweet. I'm a college student and I will be taking this to class for note taking purposes. (plus the ability to shoot off an occasional text under the radar is priceless :). I don't find it too slow since I'm used to working in the cloud just typing in Onenote from my Skydrive.

The bad:

- Keyboard is ok, but nothing to write home about, I'm still making a lot errors when typing.

- I'm a Mac user so I miss the tight iTunes integration with everything (auto syncing apps, pictures, videos, importing, etc...) Any suggestions for a good program that could bring some iTunes syncing functionality back?

All in all, I foresee dumping the iP4 in a week or two on eBay :cool:

Skillz1318

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Mac as well and I am switching to Thunderbolt or Atrix...trying to decide how important it is to be able to completely customize and root my phone, so I'm prob leaning towards the Thunderbolt.

Back on topic....Doubletwist.com I have heard good things about and sync's itunes to your phone.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep, use doubletwist. Integrates with iTunes playlists and everything. Its great. If you spend 99 cent, you can even sync over wifi.

Joelpatrick

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Im coming from an ip4 and I'm still on the fence. I can totally tell a clarity difference. Especially when scrolling through menus and such. That's not a deal breaker for me though. Im gonna give it a few more days to decide which to stick with.

Likes so far
Notification drop down
speaker volume
Customization of homescreen
Live wallpapers

Dislikes
Power button position but I've fixed that using widgetlocker- now I use my volume buttons to wake
App store seems less friendly but I enjoy the custom addons you can get
Not used to keyboard yet. As im typing this I keep somehow missing the spacebar
Copy and paste is bad
Going through text to edit seems like a poking game trying to place the cursor where you want.
Im not choosing quite yet. Im gonna
acquaint myself with it a bit more. If there is a better way to do any of my complaints do tell me.

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone 4 and and right now I am leaning toward staying with the iPhone. What it comes down to is this:

I tried both the Inspire and the Atrix. The Inspire's battery life ultimately pushed me away from that phone. For the Atrix, I love the speed, but I hate Blur (compared to Sense) and I hate that the bootloader is signed. I would have liked to try loading Cyanogen on the Atrix, but it seems like at least for now that is going to be impossible. I think if I could combine the Atrix's hardware with the Inspire's software and ease of hacking, that would be the perfect Android device for me.

bnsteele5

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
- I'm a Mac user so I miss the tight iTunes integration with everything (auto syncing apps, pictures, videos, importing, etc...) Any suggestions for a good program that could bring some iTunes syncing functionality back?

All in all, I foresee dumping the iP4 in a week or two on eBay :cool:

I use iSyncr for mac which it a nice simple app to use and a little cheaper, but I might give that doubletwist a try and see how it is

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I had both the AT&T and VZN iPhone 4. Made the switch to the Atrix and so far I am really happy. The phone is super fast and the Tegra 2 has great 3D performance.

bimbot

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Another switcher here, coming from 2 generations of iphones; a couple winmo devices prior to that....

A couple caveats before go on:
-I have my iphone 4 as a secondary line now so it's still in use (at the moment)
-This is my first android device so i'm very new to the android experience.

I share a lot of the same sentiments as everyone here so I'm going to list my pros and cons in a similar format.

Pros:
-Speed!! The phone itself has no lag switching between screens and opening apps
- The fingerprint scanner is a beautiful touch and is very easy to use
- App downloads through the online app market is very intuitive
- The phone is thinner and lighter
- HSPA+ seems to be working ok in my area, although I haven't done any speed comparison
- amazon video works well on android; I have both a amazon streaming account and netflix (see con)

Cons:
- My wife has an iPhone 4 and when I try to video chat with her using Tango, Tango on android crashes. This is going to cause serious problems for me 'cause she's going to find out sooner than I wanted that I got a new phone.....this needs to be fixed
- The screen isn't as sharp, but a bigger screen is nice to have
- a lot of the ios native apps worked well; on my android, i have to find and download apps that do it better than my native apps on the android
- no Netflix app (I knew this going in though). hopefully they can come up with a solution for this
- locked (ish) bootloader means no customization (at the moment). I come from using many custom roms on my winmo htc devices so I wanted to go back to flashing custom roms

That's all I can think of for now. I'm going to try to tinker with this as much as possible so I can decide on whether or not to keep this thing. So far, it's a keeper. I just wish the laptop dock wasn't so expensive.

Last edited:

stray

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
- Keyboard is ok, but nothing to write home about, I'm still making a lot errors when typing.

I really kind of disliked the default keyboard, but switching to the Swype keyboard really made me feel at home on Atrix, plus I'm getting used to the Swype functionality.

settings > language & kb > input method and change it to Swype.