- 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM #2
I agree that the Iphone 4 is a lot crisper.
- 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM #3
The rep who took care of me said she has had 3 generations of iPhones, currently has the iPhone 4 and is very tempted to switch to the Atrix.
I got the feeling she started agreeing with anything and everything I said, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah, everyone is saying iPhone4's retina display is a bit better. Luckily I don't have one to compare it to so I don't worry about it (I came from a Bold 9000)
- 02-22-2011, 10:55 AM #4
- 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM #5
- 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM #6
- 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM #7
- 105 Posts
I switched. I hate apple...
1. Can't handle their dictatorship!
2. No flash
3. Can't use my choice of email client.
4. Can't use my choice of browser.
5. No custom ROMs
6. Application restrictions on the app market.
...the list is endless!Google Nexus 4 - Straight Talk
HTC Evo V - Virgin Mobile (available for sale)
Previously - Motorola Atrix 4G | Samsung Captivate | Motorola Droid 2 | Samsung Epic 4G
- 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM #8
- 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM #9
- 6 Posts
Coming from the iP4 myself
Hello -new guy here-
Switched my iPhone 4 for the Atrix myself and thus far I've been extremely impressed, and this is coming from the guy who was never really a fan of the Android OS...
- Screen is obviously not as sharp as the iP4 but it really doesn't bother me, I like the screen real estate better not to mention the fact that it's ALMOST the iP4's resolution. Another note - I can see the Pentile screen but it's not that bothersome (in contrast I had a Samsung Focus for a month that was SAMOLED Pentile at 800x480 and it REALLY bothered me!)
- Speed is incredible. Angry birds (albeit in different a different OS) loads in nearly half the time as the iPhone. WOW!
- Browser is absolutely screaming. Whoops the iP4 in every test I can throw at it hands down. (took less than half the time the iP4 needed to run Sunspider benchmark)
- Interface is subjective, but I actually don't mind Motoblur... I like the customization abilities. Steve Jobs shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my home screen. 20 home screen icons in a 4x5 grid is SO 2007.
- Lapdock is sweet. I'm a college student and I will be taking this to class for note taking purposes. (plus the ability to shoot off an occasional text under the radar is priceless . I don't find it too slow since I'm used to working in the cloud just typing in Onenote from my Skydrive.
- Keyboard is ok, but nothing to write home about, I'm still making a lot errors when typing.
- I'm a Mac user so I miss the tight iTunes integration with everything (auto syncing apps, pictures, videos, importing, etc...) Any suggestions for a good program that could bring some iTunes syncing functionality back?
All in all, I foresee dumping the iP4 in a week or two on eBay
- 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM #10
- 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM #11
- 23 Posts
I have a Mac as well and I am switching to Thunderbolt or Atrix...trying to decide how important it is to be able to completely customize and root my phone, so I'm prob leaning towards the Thunderbolt.
Back on topic....Doubletwist.com I have heard good things about and sync's itunes to your phone.
- 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM #12
- 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM #13
- 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM #14
Im coming from an ip4 and I'm still on the fence. I can totally tell a clarity difference. Especially when scrolling through menus and such. That's not a deal breaker for me though. Im gonna give it a few more days to decide which to stick with.
Likes so far
Notification drop down
Customization of homescreen
Power button position but I've fixed that using widgetlocker- now I use my volume buttons to wake
App store seems less friendly but I enjoy the custom addons you can get
Not used to keyboard yet. As im typing this I keep somehow missing the spacebar
Copy and paste is bad
Going through text to edit seems like a poking game trying to place the cursor where you want.
Im not choosing quite yet. Im gonna
acquaint myself with it a bit more. If there is a better way to do any of my complaints do tell me.
- 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM #15
I am coming from an iPhone 4 and and right now I am leaning toward staying with the iPhone. What it comes down to is this:
I tried both the Inspire and the Atrix. The Inspire's battery life ultimately pushed me away from that phone. For the Atrix, I love the speed, but I hate Blur (compared to Sense) and I hate that the bootloader is signed. I would have liked to try loading Cyanogen on the Atrix, but it seems like at least for now that is going to be impossible. I think if I could combine the Atrix's hardware with the Inspire's software and ease of hacking, that would be the perfect Android device for me.
- 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM #16
- 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM #17
- 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM #18
Another switcher here, coming from 2 generations of iphones; a couple winmo devices prior to that....
A couple caveats before go on:
-I have my iphone 4 as a secondary line now so it's still in use (at the moment)
-This is my first android device so i'm very new to the android experience.
I share a lot of the same sentiments as everyone here so I'm going to list my pros and cons in a similar format.
-Speed!! The phone itself has no lag switching between screens and opening apps
- The fingerprint scanner is a beautiful touch and is very easy to use
- App downloads through the online app market is very intuitive
- The phone is thinner and lighter
- HSPA+ seems to be working ok in my area, although I haven't done any speed comparison
- amazon video works well on android; I have both a amazon streaming account and netflix (see con)
- My wife has an iPhone 4 and when I try to video chat with her using Tango, Tango on android crashes. This is going to cause serious problems for me 'cause she's going to find out sooner than I wanted that I got a new phone.....this needs to be fixed
- The screen isn't as sharp, but a bigger screen is nice to have
- a lot of the ios native apps worked well; on my android, i have to find and download apps that do it better than my native apps on the android
- no Netflix app (I knew this going in though). hopefully they can come up with a solution for this
- locked (ish) bootloader means no customization (at the moment). I come from using many custom roms on my winmo htc devices so I wanted to go back to flashing custom roms
That's all I can think of for now. I'm going to try to tinker with this as much as possible so I can decide on whether or not to keep this thing. So far, it's a keeper. I just wish the laptop dock wasn't so expensive.
Last edited by bimbot; 02-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.
- 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM #19
- 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM #20
- 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM #21
- 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM #22
- 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM #23
- 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM #24
- 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM #25