Weird Connection Issues

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
OK - Let me preface this by saying that I love the phone itself, I'm just having some strange connection problems with it.

+ Yesterday upon arriving at home, I re-connected to my WIFI network. At that time, I dropped connection to GTalk and then later re-established it. Shouldn't this switchover be seamless? My old BlackBerry's was.

+ There are times where when I'm at home (and, connected to WIFI) the connection drops and no fallback occurs to the HSPA connection. Two reasons this is odd:
1. I'm by no stretch of the imagination out of the range of the router. I'm using the device where every other device in the house has 'Excellent' signal strength.
2. I have to turn off wifi and then turn it back on before the connection is re-established. Even during this time, the phone does not fallback to ATT's data connection.

+ Just this morning, as I was leaving my house, I turned off WIFI to save battery. I made several phone calls on the way to work, so I know the phone was connected to ATT's network. When I got to work and attempted to load a page in the browser, it told me that no network connection could be found. WTF? I had to reboot the phone to get it to recognize ATT's data network.

What gives here? Do I need to take this back and swap it out for another one? Or, am I doing something wrong?

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
A couple of additional notes, based on the other thread:

+ WIFI sleep policy is set to 'never.'

+ Battery saver mode is in 'nighttime saver', which is not in the time frame where I'm attempting to use the device.

colin8

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a few of the same issues unfortunately. It will randomly drop all connections and I have to turn wifi off and back on again.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a few of the same issues unfortunately. It will randomly drop all connections and I have to turn wifi off and back on again.
I can't imagine that this is normal behavior for all Android devices (this is my first).

Quite aggravating.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not normal behavior at all. You might have a defective phone.
I'm going to wait and see if anyone else chimes in with the same issues. It may be Atrix-specific issues. If not, I'm going to try to get into an ATT store tomorrow to attempt to swap it out before I head out of town.

Really frustrating that this is my initial experience, but, I understand there are always defects somewhere in the batch.

cmunic8r99

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that it takes longer to make connections to websites, the Market, etc. when WiFi and mobile data are both enabled.

It just seems to churn for an inordinate amount of time.

Battery set to performance

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

cmunic8r99

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Something else I've noticed:

If my WiFi indicator shows 2 'bars' or less, the phone appears to try to roll over to the mobile network.

For example, I tried to download something from the market while on WiFi with Mobile Data enabled. Then I clicked on a search result, the screen went to the white "loading" page. While trying to load the page, the up and down arrows under H+ in the status bar started flashing on and off. shortly after that, I got the "network connection error" message.

Last edited:

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm beginning to think my best bet may be to take it back to a store.

I'll hate doing that, but, I don't think I can handle this flakiness/instability.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Just spent some time on the phone with support. They're going to setup an exchange.

Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

blown65

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems to have the network issue now and then. Does it in the app store and while browsing the net.

There was one other post on another forum that stated the same type of issue.

TheAspec

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Same issues here.

I have made all necessary adjustments to battery and Wifi networks, all to no avail. Fallback to cellular data is slow when the phone loses Wifi. No other devices are losing Wifi so it appears to be Atrix specific.

I am going to swap it.

bighatnocatl

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue which has been resolved. Every feature was working fine while on wi-fi but I just happened to notice that when I shut down wi'fi, I lost all of my data services even though the phone and messaging worked fine.

I talked to a good tech on the phone (surprised I know) who said that I was showing up on the data network. After trying a few things on his end we finally did a reset of the phone. Data came up fine after that and no problems since.

This is my first Android phone and let's just say I'm liking it so much I signed up to get a new Xoom tablet tomorrow and I've given away my BB Torch and Focus.

Bighat

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same wifi and connection issues. Wifi setting are all correct. In addition it appears to not have a connection consistently when I access the market.

My experience is about 50% failure rate. I called at&t, like always they said they would call me back.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I have had problems with data as well, but it is so sporatic that I haven't bothered to pay attention to when it happens. I'll keep an eye out and post if I see a trend.

kumarshah

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I did notice today, sometimes WiFi data just stops working, even at full strength.

Browser won't open websites.

When it works, its fast and awesome.

Easy test is to use speedtest over Wifi when having these issues and it will give you like 0.2 Mbps down

mazdaspeed786

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issues too, I bought my phone yesterday and its been constantly disconnecting and reconnecting wifi in my house and the app store takes forever to load and things are taking forever to update, it keep switching it between mobile data and wifi every 10 mins. You think I should take it back to exchange it? I bought it from radio shack, they would exchange it right?