iPhone 4 Data Plan vs. Atrix - ATT Nightmare

Fountainhead

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
For 5 years now I've been using the iPhone sims in various phones (work pays for iPhone and data). Today I had to call ATT and reverse charges for data (I got the message on the browser on the Atrix that I had no data plan). The lady nicely told me that the data plan for iPhone and Atrix were incompatible!
I then told her that I'd been swapping phones with iPhone sim for 5 years and that this had never happened. Well she told me she was surprised and that she didn't know that was possible!
To make a long story short I bought the phone outright and no one at the store told me when I put my sim in it that this was the case.
The nice lady told me that she could activate my iPhone plan onto the Atrix but if I were to put my sim back into the iPhone then the data plan for the Atrix would be deactivated and I'd have to call and start all over again.

Anyone have this problem like me? I love the Atrix but I can't be calling ATT for 30 minutes hold everytime I swap the sim.

dream5hift

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the iphone 4 and wanted to switch to my blackberry so I had to let ATT change my unlimited plan from iphone to blackberry data. Same with blackberry to atrix, I'd have to let ATT switch for me.

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone 4 microsim is in my atrix and has been for 4 days now. I've used it in a focus, a n1 (tethering), my i4 (tethering) and never had a single issue. No one at AT&T knows anything. It's a wonder the company functions.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
only isssue i've ever had is if i had my sim in a dumb phone and when switching sim into a smartphone/iPhone/BlackBerry, it would automatically add a data plan due to periodic, random sim/imei sweeps.

AmesBB

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I have a SIM I've been using in an N1, Captivate, and Dell Venue. The Dell Venue shows the H+. I would think I'm all good with the Atrix... I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Fountainhead

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, what I think happened is the id10t at the counter changed the imei of my current iphone to the Atrix. If this is as good as it gets I'm screwed. I'm going tomorrow early to see if they can get this rectified.
Was the problem when I activated the Motoblur account? Did you do that eallen?

milk242

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the new 4G data plan is called HSPA+ unlimited, it's supposedly confusing for CSRs to take away the iPhone unlimited and add the HSPA+ unlimited. Why can't AT&T just have one unlimited data plan, it's not like they even offer it anymore.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking they simply had not done a sim/imei sweep in your area for awhile. I used to get these messages back when I was swapping between my BB Bold 9000 & my 3G..

ggong5150

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been swapping my SIM for years as well. But I have noticed when I had just original Smartphone data plan it would not work in the iPhone so I had to call CS to switch to the iPhone data plan. Now that I've been on the iPhone data plan I have no issues using data on any of my other phones. In the last year I've switched between Captivate, N1, I4, Inspire, and now the Atrix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995