Charging problems?

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to charge with the Motorola plug? I was just using an apple charger and mini usb from my captivate so I didn't have to open my accessories. Last night my phone froze at 30% (and I missed my alarm) but I reset it this morning and plugged it back in and it was at 100% I took it back and they replaced on the spot. So I ran down the new battery and plugged it in to charge it up and it charged to 30% then a popup came up to disconnect to conserve energy? It wouldn't go away until I shut the phone off and restarted it. Has anyone had a similar problem? Do I just have to use the Motorola accessories?

textiaac

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to charge with the Motorola plug? I was just using an apple charger and mini usb from my captivate so I didn't have to open my accessories. Last night my phone froze at 30% (and I missed my alarm) but I reset it this morning and plugged it back in and it was at 100% I took it back and they replaced on the spot. So I ran down the new battery and plugged it in to charge it up and it charged to 30% then a popup came up to disconnect to conserve energy? It wouldn't go away until I shut the phone off and restarted it. Has anyone had a similar problem? Do I just have to use the Motorola accessories?

You should stick to motorola chargers (they will work the pest). You can also charge through the usb port on your pc.

Reactions: asuprice

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had that problem, but I did have a problem with the LG charger cord not engaging properly in the micro USB port. It is a brand new micro USB cable. I have to really jam it in for it to charge.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Had the exact same thing happen to me. I was using a generic usb charger and it was fine for a while then that pop up came up and I had to restart to get rid of it. I switched to my moto charger, and it is fine.

Threw the generic one in the trash.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't have to use the Moto accessories, the microUSB charger is now a GLOBAL standard, agreed to by the phone makers.

I would expect the problem is that a lot of the cheap accessories are somewhere between cheap out plain dangerous. Some don't have all the pins wired up (data or power, both are not required) and some are just flimsy cheap wire.

The whole idea of microUSB is to set a STANDARD and in theory the plugs are something like 100x more durable than miniUSB. Although personally I find miniUSB much easier to insert and not get backwards. I think microUSB really can get damaged if it is accidentally jammed the wrong way.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't have to use the Moto accessories, the microUSB charger is now a GLOBAL standard, agreed to by the phone makers.

I would expect the problem is that a lot of the cheap accessories are somewhere between cheap out plain dangerous. Some don't have all the pins wired up (data or power, both are not required) and some are just flimsy cheap wire.

The whole idea of microUSB is to set a STANDARD and in theory the plugs are something like 100x more durable than miniUSB. Although personally I find miniUSB much easier to insert and not get backwards. I think microUSB really can get damaged if it is accidentally jammed the wrong way.

Motorola is notorious for making their devices only compatible with only Motorola products. I've had other Motorola devices and it's the same thing no matter what charger you use, either cheap or quality they are not compatible. They are complying making their devices micro USB but I think they have a chip or a certain voltage in thier chargers that other generic chargers lack making them useless.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Our experiences have been different then. I've found that Motorola chargers on the older phones (i.e. Startac) were "smart" chargers that automatically sensed battery voltage and lowered the charge rate when it was topped up, while 3rd party chargers didn't know when to shut off. Of course that was a Moto proprietary connection, unlike microUSB which is an international standard now.

I'd be very surprised if Motorola was not meeting the standard, since it is awfully simple and well documented. Two wires for power, two wires for data, no magic at all.

I have seen cheap cables (like Newegg's Rosewill brand) simply come DOA one way or another.

vlstyles

Feb 19, 2011
www.sdbell.com
You will definitely want to use the supplied USB cables. I used my other USB cable and had it hooked up to my laptop for 2 hours...I thought the phone was fully charged but it did not go over 80%. I used the supplied cable and it finished the 20% in about 15 minutes. I had to get a Motorola USB car charger as well, because my other charger did the same thing.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got 82384283472185 micro usb chargers around the house and only two of them work with the atrix...an old bberry one and my wifes captivate charger. Really peeved that my iTrip wouldn't work, with or without the Moto provided cable.

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
A little off topic, but it seems that after starting to plug the atrix into my Win7 (x64) machine, the computer is crashing quite frequently. Was not crashing at all before. Hoping this is a driver issue with Windows.

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got 82384283472185 micro usb chargers around the house and only two of them work with the atrix...an old bberry one and my wifes captivate charger. Really peeved that my iTrip wouldn't work, with or without the Moto provided cable.

yeah at work I just used my old BB micro usb charger and it charged to 100% just fine and in no time

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Elsewhere...just was pointed out that the Atrix charger is rated at 850mA which is WAY in excess of the normal USB charging limit of 500mA maximum.

Apparently some BB and iPhone chargers also put out plenty of current and are confirmed to work with the phone, but generic "USB" chargers will not keep it happy. Not because of the maker, not because of the brand, but because these phones need way more power than a cheapie charger will put out.

Reactions: jess.hickey