Quick Ringtone Help

Sajan Parikh

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android coming from BlackBerry, so I'm still getting used to the new file system and Android in general.

In BlackBerry, when you connected the phone via USB...they had a folder called 'Ringtones' where you dropped your mp3 files and it would show it in ringtone menus and keep things out of the music player.

How can I achieve this on the Atrix?

I have not rooted my phone, and am not using a launcher.

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

Connecting the mass storage to my PC does bring up a file system...but I'm still trying to make sense of it and where to drop my ringtone mp3s.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not to sure of this myself as I'm new to Android, but I did download the Audiko app from marketplace and I can download ringtones straight to the phone. You then set them just like you do any other ringtone.

vlstyles

Feb 19, 2011
www.sdbell.com
In general the ringtones are OGG or MID files while the music is MP3, AAC, etc. By default the ringtones are located in the media>audio>ringtones folder on either SD card, although the internal card is actually a few folders in which you can see if you are rooted and the file browser that you use has SU permissions. You can also use the Music app and long press a file to set it as a ringtone. I personally have Handcent SMS and it comes with a Music selector which let's you browse all music and sounds to set the notification (and ringtone) sounds.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android coming from BlackBerry, so I'm still getting used to the new file system and Android in general.

In BlackBerry, when you connected the phone via USB...they had a folder called 'Ringtones' where you dropped your mp3 files and it would show it in ringtone menus and keep things out of the music player.

How can I achieve this on the Atrix?

I have not rooted my phone, and am not using a launcher.

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

Connecting the mass storage to my PC does bring up a file system...but I'm still trying to make sense of it and where to drop my ringtone mp3s.

I'm sure you already figured this out and since I just picked up my Atrix 4G a couple of days ago, I'm really not qualified to answer anything but.... I also came from BB (5 years), so I know the interface you're talking about. I don't know how this worked but, I dumped all my BB ringtones into my devoted Atrix music folder on my PC. I then used Motorola Media Link to sync the folders (Music files computer to Atrix). I rebooted my phone and voila! The ringtones are there each time I edit a contact to assign a ringtone.

I hope this helps a little...

plasticglock

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have about 1300 ringtones. I have them in a folder that I named "ringtones" and I just dragged and dropped it onto my sd card. They are all mp3's and they work just fine. I have another folder named "music" on the sd and all my music is in there. The stock music app kind of sucks, so I got one from the market (free) called "power amp" and it works very well. It organizes the media by artist and other tags that designate it as being actual music. I did accidentally turn on the "shuffle all" function the other day and it would mix in ringtones.

Reactions: tunie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have about 1300 ringtones. I have them in a folder that I named "ringtones" and I just dragged and dropped it onto my sd card. They are all mp3's and they work just fine. I have another folder named "music" on the sd and all my music is in there. The stock music app kind of sucks, so I got one from the market (free) called "power amp" and it works very well. It organizes the media by artist and other tags that designate it as being actual music. I did accidentally turn on the "shuffle all" function the other day and it would mix in ringtones.

Thanks for that! The native music app is a bit clumsy. I'll pick up power amp. I don't have an SD card yet, so I had to limit the music on the phone. I'll get an SD card as soon as I can find the best deal so thanks for sharing how you did this!:)

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Quick note, PowerAMP is not free. You can get a 30-day trial for free, but after that runs out you have to pay $5 to keep using it. Personally, I think PowerAMP is the best music app out there, so I did purchase it after trying out about 7 other ones.

JGBoylan1#AC

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Following up with what vlstyles said about putting Mp3/acc/wav files in media/audio/ringtones for ringtones, I've also found you can put custom alarm sounds in folder media/audio/alarms and custom text message sounds in media/audio/notifications so that you don't need an app to use custom alerts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power