Is 2 gigs enough?

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the main things keeping me from going to the Atrix (that and Motoblur+locked bootloader) and AT&T. I'm simply not sure it's enough, especially since my occasional tethering needs might put me over the 2gig cap. 2 gigs is kind of a pathetic amount if you have any hope of using your phone to its full capabilities. Any issues? I know a lot of you have grandfathered unlimited plans, but those of you with 2 gig plans, think it's going to be enough?

lDaChOsEnOnEl

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Im in the same boat as you pretty much. My atrix will be here monday but im not to sure if I really want to leave my EVO and sprint being that I have unlimited data. It would be an easy choice if AT&T had unlimited data though the atirx is a beast!

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What really stinks is back in December I finally gave up my line with unlimited data! I was with Sprint by then, so I didn't see a need for it. I tried everything to get a line with unlimited turned back on, as my wife and daughter are still with AT&T with there iPhones (wife still has unlimited, daughter has the 2GB capped plan), but they still will not budge to allow me to turn on another line with unlimited.

If they would budge and give me the unlimited plan again, I would go back. As for data, it all depends on what you do with your phone. If you are going to be streaming audio or video, then that 2gb is going to go by quickly.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you KNOW you're going to tether a lot, then just suck it up and adjust your budget to get the tethering plan. If not, then 2 gigs will be enough.

Sick of all the "if only i had unlimited" argument, because 99.995% of people that say that don't even go past 2gigs.

dopestar

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Im in the same boat as you pretty much. My atrix will be here monday but im not to sure if I really want to leave my EVO and sprint being that I have unlimited data. It would be an easy choice if AT&T had unlimited data though the atirx is a beast!

stick with the Evo and Sprint! why go to Att where they cap their data and block the android experience? Yes you can root but knowing that a carrier insist of being a big brother on what you can put on your phone is annoying!

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
stick with the Evo and Sprint! why go to Att where they cap their data and block the android experience? Yes you can root but knowing that a carrier insist of being a big brother on what you can put on your phone is annoying!

Sprint sucks hard. They're coverage is beyond abysmal. The moral of the story is is it sounds like I'm stuck waiting on Verizon.

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is a toughy for you guys to answer. Will 200MB be enough for a person who will not be tethering, and will be in WiFi-enabled areas most of the time? I'm not sure how much data the phone will automatically pull from the plan through automatic updates and what not when I'm not in Wi-Fi areas.

YoungSpade8

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It depends on how much you use your phone and what you're doing w-n you're using it. My university has wifi all around,so when I'm in my room or something, i will probably have wifi.

Noe if you don't, I used to have background syncing on all of the time withbemails and web browsing and everything, a/ I only used 1.4 gigs in my first month.

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint sucks hard. They're coverage is beyond abysmal. The moral of the story is is it sounds like I'm stuck waiting on Verizon.

Maybe its just your area. Here in the Baltimore region, the coverage is excellent and right up there with Big Red!

dchandler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
If your going to Root your phone and use the tethering like that then 2GB will not be enough but you can not complain about it because this was said from the beginning. If everyone had the unlimited data plan and was tethering with it for free then everyone would be complaining about how slow the network is and have something else to complain about. No matter whatany carrier do somebody finds something to complain about, every carrier has thier flaws ( Sprint customer service ) ( AT&T Data Plans ) ( Verizon Customer Service and No Voice & Data ) so with that being said try to look at the positive sometime instead of crying about the negative. just my thoughts.

dlcarden

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
200MB not enough for phone, 2GB not enough tethered

Here is a toughy for you guys to answer. Will 200MB be enough for a person who will not be tethering, and will be in WiFi-enabled areas most of the time? I'm not sure how much data the phone will automatically pull from the plan through automatic updates and what not when I'm not in Wi-Fi areas.

I have WiFi at home, but not at work. There and when I am out and about I regularly burn through 500 to 600 MB per month doing normal activities -- Foursquare, Yelp!, Google Maps, email, web surfing, check stock activities, banking, and so on. Imagine how much I would use if I had the laptop dock!

I won't buy a laptop dock until the XDA guys figure out a way for me to use it with my (grandfathered) unlimited plan.

Reactions: ECghostie

ECghostie

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just have to say..SCREW YOU AT&T!..now that that's out of my system. I wish there were some better data plans available. I don't think I'll be a heavy data user. I'll mostly be in Wi-Fi areas.

Its funny how most people are grandfathered in with unlimited data. I'm like the only one grandfathered in with no data and using a blackberry right now.

One of the first widgets I'll be getting is an APN on/off toggle.

MythrilFork

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Tethering doesn't really add more data usage unless you are trying to use it to replace a home internet connection (in other words downloading movies, pc games, etc.) If you don't try to do those things, tethering won't add much to your data usage.

However I don't find 2GB appropriate. I am only downloading an app or two a day, averaging under 10 mins a day of youtube, and doing basic internet browsing stuff and I am on pace to go over 2GB on my first month. Now I didn't use any wifi during that time just to get an idea how fast I use data. If I always use wifi at home I should make it alright, but that is because I spend a lot of time at home.

If you have wifi at home, it will probably be enough. Just be careful how much you want to use pandora, as it will eat up those 2GB with ease. Remember, it isn't a 2GB only plan. It is still unlimited, it just isn't flat rate. So if you go over 2GB, then it's $35 instead of $25 and you get 3GB which should be plenty. Even if you went over 2GB every other month, your data charge would average out to the same as the unlimited plan. It is unlikely to go over 2GB that often.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I got my first overage warning with ATT after my first 2 weeks of having service. I canceled. Returned my phone and kept my T-Mobile.

Sent from my Mytouch 4G

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2