A convert's rant.. plus an AT&T data plan question

antiskeptics

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone.

I picked up my Atrix on the 21st. I'm a blackberry convert of about 6 years. While
I still love RIM, but I feel as if their hardware is so far outdated right now; I had to make a change. So of course, I picked up this dual core beast.

I'm not really sure what I'm missing out on without having open access to custom ROMs, etc, being a first-time Android user. So I'm not really complaining about this locked bootloader madness, yet. I'm sure I will be once I get my hands on another android to play with and see what I'm missing out on. I would just like to get rid of all this motoblur madness without just masking it.

The battery is doing better. I wasn't happy in the beginning until I read about a "burn-in" period. I never really had that with any other phones, but it proved true as I can probably push a day and a half/two days with juicedefender controlling my wifi/data. Great considering my BB Torch was extremely inconsistent.. sometimes going less than a day, sometimes 4 days on a single charge.

NOW.. my real question is.. can I get any confirmation and the process I need to go through/what I need to say when I call 611 to get my unlimited data plan back? I picked my phone up the day preorders came in, and the option to keep the unlimited data plan wasn't even in their system. I won't bother rooting until I can get my unlim plan back and tether. Any help?

Thank you!

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
i dont believe they will or can do the data plan switch. i had the same issue with my gf mom, had the unlim bb plan and switched to iphone and could not get the unlim plan.

antiskeptics

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
word. i've seen people on here say they berated reps and stuff, and got them to switch it back. but that might only be because H+ isn't available in their area yet. i'm in orlando, and we do have it... although it's definitely not all it's talked up to be, at all. hopefully YET.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
word. i've seen people on here say they berated reps and stuff, and got them to switch it back. but that might only be because H+ isn't available in their area yet. i'm in orlando, and we do have it... although it's definitely not all it's talked up to be, at all. hopefully YET.

The backhaul for HSPA+ hasnt been put out yet. Soon hopefully you will see better speeds once they go live with it.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone.

I picked up my Atrix on the 21st. I'm a blackberry convert of about 6 years. While
I still love RIM, but I feel as if their hardware is so far outdated right now; I had to make a change. So of course, I picked up this dual core beast.

I'm not really sure what I'm missing out on without having open access to custom ROMs, etc, being a first-time Android user. So I'm not really complaining about this locked bootloader madness, yet. I'm sure I will be once I get my hands on another android to play with and see what I'm missing out on. I would just like to get rid of all this motoblur madness without just masking it.

The battery is doing better. I wasn't happy in the beginning until I read about a "burn-in" period. I never really had that with any other phones, but it proved true as I can probably push a day and a half/two days with juicedefender controlling my wifi/data. Great considering my BB Torch was extremely inconsistent.. sometimes going less than a day, sometimes 4 days on a single charge.

NOW.. my real question is.. can I get any confirmation and the process I need to go through/what I need to say when I call 611 to get my unlimited data plan back? I picked my phone up the day preorders came in, and the option to keep the unlimited data plan wasn't even in their system. I won't bother rooting until I can get my unlim plan back and tether. Any help?

Thank you!

If you had the unlimited plan when you upgraded your phone you can get it back. I speak from personal experience. I have a thread here describing my experience.
AT&T promised to keep my unlimited plan, but actually removed my data plan when I activated my phone. I ended up going down to my local AT&T store and they quickly took care of me and restored my unlimited plan.
The guy in the store said I lost my unlimited plan because I upgraded my phone on the AT&T website. If I had come in to the store to do order the phone, they would have insured that my unlimited plan stayed.
So, you can try calling 611 (I had no luck with this), but I recommend you go to a store.

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
former BB user here too!

the unlimited plan was the reason i waited until launch day to go to an AT&T store and buy it. they had no problem keeping the plan on when the phone was released. i imagine you will have a much harder time trying to get it back, esp since it's been almost a week.

shady909

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you had the unlimited plan when you upgraded your phone you can get it back. I speak from personal experience. I have a thread here describing my experience.
AT&T promised to keep my unlimited plan, but actually removed my data plan when I activated my phone. I ended up going down to my local AT&T store and they quickly took care of me and restored my unlimited plan.
The guy in the store said I lost my unlimited plan because I upgraded my phone on the AT&T website. If I had come in to the store to do order the phone, they would have insured that my unlimited plan stayed.
So, you can try calling 611 (I had no luck with this), but I recommend you go to a store.
+1

I returned my Atrix yesterday b/c of voice quality issues, temperamental wi-fi, and frustration with incompetent AT&T CSR's over losing the unlimited data plan during the upgrade process.

I'm going to keep my iPhone 3G until AT&T and Motorola get their sh!#$ together or the LTE-enabled iPhone comes out this summer.

The store reps said the exact same thing "You should've upgraded in the store instead of online. We would've made sure that you kept your unlimited data plan."

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
LTE-enabled iPhone comes out this summer.

There is no LTE iphone device coming out. Apple has not announced any such thing, this is just speculation on your part. AT&T won't even have an LTE network to use the phone with. Hell, they barely have the backhaul in place for their HSPA+ network.

dcjr99

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a recent convert and love the device however got stuck on the 2gig until a supervisor could fix the unlimited plan issue. I came from blackberry unlimited and am going back to the store to make sure no issues with my plan. Did all this on saturday. Damn shame art is so scared of being flooded with android to have to go to a capped plan. However I do not miss my bb torch.

dcjr99

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just checked and the plan is called smartphone personal and they added it just checked my billing status. So now i'm going to really enjoy my phone.

shady909

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
There is no LTE iphone device coming out. Apple has not announced any such thing, this is just speculation on your part. AT&T won't even have an LTE network to use the phone with. Hell, they barely have the backhaul in place for their HSPA+ network.
The point was that I'll wait for something else that works properly instead of settling. We'll see if the next iPhone is LTE-capable or not.

jwolfe99

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just checked and the plan is called smartphone personal and they added it just checked my billing status. So now i'm going to really enjoy my phone.

Just make sure to check your plan on line, if memory serves me their are 3 Smartphone Personal Data Packages, 200M, 2G and Unlimited.

Julian

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
+1

I returned my Atrix yesterday b/c of voice quality issues, temperamental wi-fi, and frustration with incompetent AT&T CSR's over losing the unlimited data plan during the upgrade process.

I'm going to keep my iPhone 3G until AT&T and Motorola get their sh!#$ together or the LTE-enabled iPhone comes out this summer.

The store reps said the exact same thing "You should've upgraded in the store instead of online. We would've made sure that you kept your unlimited data plan."

Sorry to hear that. I can commiserate with you regarding AT&T. But in my experience, the Atrix is the best phone I've ever used (former iPhone 3GS and Nexus One owner).

shady909

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I can commiserate with you regarding AT&T. But in my experience, the Atrix is the best phone I've ever used (former iPhone 3GS and Nexus One owner).
I loved everything about the phone except the inability to have a conversation without the other guy saying "Say that again" and "What??"

I was pissed about the data plan but I figured I would use it on wi-fi most of the time anyway but then wi-fi use was iffy.

Maybe I'll just get the Bionic unless I figure out a way to get the Xperia Arc.

plasticglock

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am also a bb convert. This is my first night with the atrix, and I am so far very happy with the device but the bandwidth is not as sweet as I thought it would be.
What is the best way to transfer my contacts? Thanks ahead of time.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance