Atrix stuck on GPRS most of the time?

epicalz

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I'm loving the Atrix, I haven't been happy with any Android phone until I've used this one. The problem I'm having though is when I'm at home I get a "G" icon, which stands for GPRS I guess. I'm getting speeds of 20-40kb up and down. When I'm at work it says its H+, but I'm still getting a max of 60kb down. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: I forgot to add, at my house it seems to completely lose connection a lot. I noticed it also lost connection on my way hope and went back to G. My Focus/Iphone 4 always received 3G signals everywhere I go and also fast 3G speeds of over 2mb all the time.

Last edited:

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that the tower that services your home is having issues? Post on AT&Ts FaceBook page and see if they are experiencing any issues in your area. They will usually post back pretty quick and let you know.

epicalz

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
No I don't see how. I switched the sim out of my Atrix to my Focus and I get 3G just fine. My g/fs iphone is getting 3G as well.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
No I don't see how. I switched the sim out of my Atrix to my Focus and I get 3G just fine. My g/fs iphone is getting 3G as well.

Did you just do a sim switch when you got the phone...i.e. just take the sim from your old phone and put it in your atrix? It is possible that if you did this you would get issues like this.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I can attest that the radio in the Atrix doesn't appear to be as good as in some other phones. I went from 3-4 bars on my BB 9700 to 0-1 bars on my Atrix while I'm at work. If I so much as breathe on my Atrix at work I lose signal completely. It's pretty frustrating actually. The signal is so dang fragile on this thing.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I can attest that the radio in the Atrix doesn't appear to be as good as in some other phones. I went from 3-4 bars on my BB 9700 to 0-1 bars on my Atrix while I'm at work. If I so much as breathe on my Atrix at work I lose signal completely. It's pretty frustrating actually. The signal is so dang fragile on this thing.

I've actually had better results with the Atrix compared to my N1. The N1 stuck on Edge at the office unless I pointed my toes the right way. The Atrix holds the 3G signal most of the time out here.

Ka3yan...did you just do a sim card switch? Or did you use the new one that came with the phone? Just doing my own little "research".

epicalz

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought the phone from AT&T and used it for about 4 days before I switched the SIM out because of the signal issues. I'm using my Focus right now because of this. Should I take it back and say its defective?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought the phone from AT&T and used it for about 4 days before I switched the SIM out because of the signal issues. I'm using my Focus right now because of this. Should I take it back and say its defective?

What sim were you using in the Atrix? A new one they gave you when you got the phone or the sim that was originally in your focus?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright, take a look at this and if your sku is right, I'd take the phone back to AT&T and ask to trade out

just called ATT.

they're going to send me the new sim card with free priority shipping.

make sure to confirm the SKU# 73057 of the new cards.

desperately hoping this is the cure!

good luck

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

If there's one thing we learned from the iPhone AT&T signal bar mess, is that you can't go by the number bars to compare phones. How many they want to display on the phone is completely arbitrary. You need to view the signal's actual db strength on each phone. I know there are apps for that.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Jesse, I'm using the SIM that came with my new phone. The SKU# is 73057. Is this the one that I should be using or do I need to ask for a new one?

edit: tjp888, my signal strength is hovering around -105 to -95 dbm

Last edited:

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Jesse, I'm using the SIM that came with my new phone. The SKU# is 73057. Is this the one that I should be using or do I need to ask for a new one?

edit: tjp888, my signal strength is hovering around -105 to -95 dbm

That's the one I'm using. According that post (from a thread on here) we both have the correct sim.

I'm also showing -105 to -95 dBm giving me 2-3 bars (but I'm in an area that I know to be a fringe area).

epicalz

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I went in and they gave me a new sim card. They said there's no difference between sim cards. The assistant manager also tried telling me "G" is 4G.. I'm going to either try and get it exchanged or return it for now.

epicalz

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I went in and they gave me a new sim card. They said there's no difference between sim cards. The assistant manager also tried telling me "G" is 4G.. I'm going to either try and get it exchanged or return it for now.

They exchanged my phone and switched me to the new SIM, I get H+/3G at my house again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol