Remove Auto-Imported GMail Contacts??

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have searched and cannot find a specific answer for this so maybe there is not one. I have recently switched from a Blackberry to an Android and am pretty new to all of this.

Okay, So I have my GMail account on my phone which is fine with me but when I added it, it imported every email adress I have ever received an email from/ ever emailed to. I really do not need all of these contacts in my phone as many of them are my college classmates who I will probably never contact again following grad. in two months. I tried to remove my GMail account from the phone but it says it was in use by an application and I would be forced to do a factory reset if I wanted to remove it?

Any help would be much appreciated. I am considering just going through and deleting all the contacts by hand if I have to. Thanks.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
go to menu/settings/accounts/click on your gmail account and uncheck sync contacts

if you just have a lot of "extra" contacts that all you have for them is email address, go to your gmail account from your computer, click contacts, other contacts and remove all of those "other" contacts automatically imported from gmail

good luck

kac00

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me coming from Blackberry. It's easy to fix if you can afford to delete all contacts from your phone. I was able to because my official contact list lives on exchange.

1. As mentioned previously, set Gmail app to not sync contacts.

2. Go to settings / applications / manage apps / all / contacts storage

3. Hit clear data

4. Re-sync your real contact list