Double Text Messages

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I can find where people are receiving text messages twice but can't find anything about people "sending" text messages twice.

So, my brother started letting me know that he was getting some of my sms/mms messages twice. I asked around to several folks that I text often and they reported the same thing (some on AT&T and others on V).

When first notified of the issue I thought it was a GO sms issue so I uninstalled and started using Handcent. The same issue is popping up. I contacted AT&T and they said they had no idea.

The messages aren't showing up as being sent twice so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the stock text program and add-on programs. I never had any complaints with the N1 using Handcent or GO.

Anyone else????

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Handcent since I picked up the phone, but so far no one has mentioned I'm sending msgs twice. Let me ask around.

Reactions: jess.hickey

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I can find where people are receiving text messages twice but can't find anything about people "sending" text messages twice.

So, my brother started letting me know that he was getting some of my sms/mms messages twice. I asked around to several folks that I text often and they reported the same thing (some on AT&T and others on V).

When first notified of the issue I thought it was a GO sms issue so I uninstalled and started using Handcent. The same issue is popping up. I contacted AT&T and they said they had no idea.

The messages aren't showing up as being sent twice so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the stock text program and add-on programs. I never had any complaints with the N1 using Handcent or GO.

Anyone else????

If you have the stock text messaging app on any of your home screens remove it. Then go into the handcent settings and make sure the following are checked.
handcent delivery report
auto-retrieve

Is your brother also on android?

This resolved the issue for me.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If they are also using other text apps aside from the stock app that came their phone, they should turn off auto-retrieve on the stock app. This was happening between my wife and myself and removing the text message app from the homescreens and checking the settings I mentioned fixed it.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: jess.hickey

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey Jess, I'm not sure if this could be related in any way whatsoever, but I just realized there's a setting in Handcent that says "Checkmark this box if your phone has trouble and sends messages twice when rebooted" or something like that. Have you seen it? Mine's left unchecked, but maybe you should toy with it on and off?

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I am not having that issue. If the above post doesn't fix it, a wild shot in the dark here.....but I just left Sprint b/c of coverage issues. i know you are AT&T and you said others are on Verizon, but same principal here...I had horrible service here with Sprint, they have been having network issues for several weeks. Anyways, long story, but side result of the bad network was that texts came through two at a time. Is there any time delay in when you send it and when they receive them both? There was always a delay and then 2 would pop through.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey Jess, I'm not sure if this could be related in any way whatsoever, but I just realized there's a setting in Handcent that says "Checkmark this box if your phone has trouble and sends messages twice when rebooted" or something like that. Have you seen it? Mine's left unchecked, but maybe you should toy with it on and off?

yeah, i saw that. i've now gone back to go and haven't had the issue after following some of the other steps listed here. thanks for pointing it out though!

Sorry, I am not having that issue. If the above post doesn't fix it, a wild shot in the dark here.....but I just left Sprint b/c of coverage issues. i know you are AT&T and you said others are on Verizon, but same principal here...I had horrible service here with Sprint, they have been having network issues for several weeks. Anyways, long story, but side result of the bad network was that texts came through two at a time. Is there any time delay in when you send it and when they receive them both? There was always a delay and then 2 would pop through.

negative...they would both pop up instantly. the person on V that complained about it lives in a spotty coverage area but my brother normally gets 3-5 bars.

no one has mentioned anything in the past 24 hr or so so whatever it is/was might be fixed thanks to rec's made by the helpful folks on this site.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Jess, as an Andriod Expert, I would expect you to know this. It never ceases to amaze me that people will tinker with their phones, add apps, load software, even unlocking or jailbreaking their phones and still want to point fingers everywhere else, especially at the network, because their phone doesn't work....

Also I pulled this from the GO SMS App description on the Andriod Market website. The actual app has more detailed info.

*** TIPS ***
-Please refer to "Help" in GO SMS menu.
-For "wrong timestamp on incoming text", it is caused by using network time,please try to change the timeoffset or change message sort type in GO SMS's settings
-For "receiving messages twice", it is not done by GO SMS, but caused by other SMS app.

Here is the link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jb.mms&feature=search_result

And as someone that hasn't posted but once, it doesn't suprise me that you didn't take the time to read the whole thread and to see what my actual issue was. I'm not complaining about me receiving double notifications or me receiving double messages. I am complaining about people I send messages to receiving them twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, angry much? Please read the first post before jumping on people. They said that people are receiving their text message twice, not receiving two notifications. Your suggestions have to do with notifications on the senders phone, not the recieving party getting two texts. As someone who is jumping down peoples throats, you might want to read first. And the person you are referring to as an expert, he/she is not calling themselves an expert, that is the forum assigning that based on number of posts. Please bring you anger elsewhere, we are here to help others, not be negative about other people's opinions.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
There should be the addition of a dislike button, where in situations where it has reached maybe 15-20 dislikes, it is hidden as "spam" and only viewable if the user clicks to see that post.

To keep this on topic...Jess, how are things working now with Go SMS installed over Handcent? It's been awhile since the change, right? Nobody saying they have 2 msgs from you?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm still having the issue. But I have noticed that there is something that happens when the person receives the double text. Once I hit send on the message, most messages will just appear in the thread once they are sent (or will show up in the thread with an envelope flashing showing it is being sent). Well, on messages that end up being received double, the message kinda flickers on the screen when I hit send...almost like a pop up for fractions of a second...then I get a message back letting me know that got that one doubled.

Ahh, I'm not too worried about it at this point. It's happened in Go and Handcent. I tried stock for a day or two and just couldn't handle it. My brother and a couple of other people will have to deal with getting double messages once a day I suppose.

bluejello362

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
not to bring back a dead thread but i have go sms on a froyo atrix and am having the same issue of sending duplicate texts. was this ever fixed?

Asherrios

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If they are also using other text apps aside from the stock app that came their phone, they should turn off auto-retrieve on the stock app.

How do you turn off auto-retrieve? I recently started using Handcent because my plan only allows a limited number of text messages and I have been going way over limit. I tried to increase my allowance, but I would lose my unlimited data in the process. I have been using Handcent for a week or so, but it is still using up my limited text messages. When I open the stock messaging app I see all of my recent text messages there. I have read that I need to disable auto-retrieve in the stock app, but the setting seems to be missing from the menu. I have even seen screenshots showing the option, but it's not there on my Atrix.

mssmilzalot

May 21, 2013
Visit site
For about 2 weeks I have been getting texts twice. I have AT&T as my provider.:-\ I don't have an android either. I have an iPhone. So it sounds like the problem isn't phone specific or network specific.... IT'S HAPPENING TO EVERYONE!!! I am also getting late texts. Like HOURS LATE.

Boyd Merriman

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I both use an Android on Verizon. We are getting double messages from each other. We found that it only happens when an emoticon is used. Straight text does not do this, only when adding emoticons. ;)

Hatley woman 1961

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

Anyone else????

Yes. It's happening to me. What do I do? Text me. [phone number redacted by Mod] Lee please

Last edited by a moderator: