I made the switch from iphone 4 to Atrix

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Theres nothing that makes my day more then to see people leave the Iphone to jump over to Android. And the Atrix is a nifty device to make the switch with. Welcome aboard guys!

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome!

So far I like Android quite a bit and I can do more than on the iPhone. But I see it like this: the iPhone can do about 70% of what I want to do on a daily basis, but it does it exceedingly well. It gets out of the way and it just feels right.

Android does 95% of my daily needs but that first 70%? It can be quite a hassle sometimes! Especially the copy/paste functionality and how inconsistent it is compared to iOS. And the occasional jumpy scrolling even on a device as fast as the Atrix. What's that about? The jumpy scrolling really gives a bad first impression. And don't get me started on the default Mail app. (Did Google handicap it to make the GMail app look so much better?)

On the other hand, the other day I was comparison shopping between Amazon MP3 store and eMusic and downloaded from eMusic. Then downloaded another 200mb zip file of music from Spin and was scrobbling it to last.fm about 15 min later. That'll never happen on iOS. And neither will Apple let me read my Sony ebooks which they famously put the kibosh on. So I'm a happy camper overall.

As for the Atrix screen, consider me disappointed for picture quality. Text is great but images can be pretty horrible.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The jumpy scrolling really gives a bad first impression.
Preaching to the choir about that. I have seen complaints about screen response back to 2008, and they have been dismissed as a low priority feature by the googlers. Without some professional work on the core, they aren't going to get it smooth no matter how much horsepower they throw at it.

Honeycomb finally has some GPU accelerated UI but I'm not really sure how much. I run the preview build on my Nook Color and it is somewhat smoother but I would like to see what an optimized build does once they release the full source.

One thing I do on my devices is I root them and run CPU Tuner so that I can set the up-threshold lower. I usually don't overclock but setting the up-threshold to 15 or so makes the clock scale up quicker in response to load. I don't know if CPU Tuner etc would work on the Atrix. I use it on my Eris and Droid 2, but you can find the threshold setting in many "overclocking" apps.

Sparro

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my Bell Atrix 4G yesterday (Canadian Launch Day) and I love it. My wife is now getting my iPhone 4.
I don't miss the iPhone at all, this thing is so fast and I feel it is superior to my iPhone in many ways. I even like MotoBlur.

faith4more

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. I am a techy but never considered Droid because was always to busy to take a look. iOS was just so easy that I stayed with it. However, as Apple gets more and more restrictive with it's policies I decided I did not want to keep on investing in Apps etc only to be forced to switch later. So I took the plunge sold my iPad and bought a Xoom. I was so impressed with Honeycomb that it got me to looking at selling my iphone 4. Sold it bought the Atrix and do not miss the iPhone at all. I am loving the freedom on Android and really prefer it to iOS on so many levels.

Theres nothing that makes my day more then to see people leave the Iphone to jump over to Android. And the Atrix is a nifty device to make the switch with. Welcome aboard guys!

owenrg

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I miss the ipod and iTunes syncing. it was nice how integrated it all was but winamp does a good job of pulling info from itunes. the widgets are really nice and just the over all functionality of the phone is better.

Also the new iphone adds (if you don't have an iphone then...) make me so SO glad i left apple. They are so full of themselves it's just.... stupid! haha.

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I miss the ipod and iTunes syncing. it was nice how integrated it all was but winamp does a good job of pulling info from itunes. the widgets are really nice and just the over all functionality of the phone is better.

Also the new iphone adds (if you don't have an iphone then...) make me so SO glad i left apple. They are so full of themselves it's just.... stupid! haha.

Not a music person, so I haven't tried. But have you hooked up the Atrix to your computer and installed the Media Link program when you were in Phone Portal? Seem to remember it claiming that it will sync all your iTunes and MS Media Center stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC