Speed Test Question

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
When I open the app it thinks I am closest to los angeles and I am just north of san francisco. Even with gps turned on it says la is closest server. Its there a fix for this?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Brian, I don't know the internet topology out there. Once upon a time in the 1990s, anyone could pull up a map of the whole internet, all the trunk lines, the backbones and the MAE locations. After 2001, that kind of information started disappearing in the claim of national security.

So unless you can get a reliable map of the trunk lines in your area--that MAY actually be the closest server, the one with the shortest run of highspeed trunk or actual backbone that connects to your location.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's weird I tried GPS and it still was way off and then later in the evening with GPS still off it found the closer location finally. Oh well thanks for the info though!

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is what to do: after it locates the server click on change server, then go back to the speed test tab, should see the GPS icon, back to change server, and it should be closer. Repeat process 2 or 3 times until it finds the appropriate server, then check that server and perform the test. Sorry for the kludge but the apps coding is weak (to be kind).