Why I'm going back to bberry after 28 days

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Had the Atrix for 28 days. My first non-blackberry smartphone. Loved android os and all the things it could do but what it came down to for me was the functionality equated with the needs of my job. I realize that others are looking for an all in one device for entertainment, social networking, and media, but for me, the phone, sms, and email are most important and here's where android fell short for me:

1. Problems syncing with microsoft exchange, had to use touchdown to get notifications, 2. Can't open wordperfect attachments, 3. Awkward on/off/awake button and pesky slide to unlock, 4. speed to reply to emails and messages vs. bberry, 5. speed to call contacts, find contacts, type contacts, etc., 6. overcrowded call log with multiple listings for same person called/received, 7. push notifications bar was inferior to bberry on screen notifications, 8. Linked profiles, duplicated profiles, too many profiles, 9. But the major reason is SIGNAL STRENGTH. After comparing it just wasn't close and was a deal breaker.

Even though my biggest concern was getting used to not having a physical keyboard, it really wasn't that bad but whoever says that they can type, reply, text, just as fast with the touchscreen is just misguided. A physical keyboard is much quicker and easier.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You have some good reasons

In the past, I've used a Blackberry also.
I agree that with messaging - there is nothing better than the Blackberry. If that is your #1 priority, then it makes sense to switch back.

Apparently I had the same issue you had with notification with Exchange email. The notifications would mysteriously just stop working. Also like you, I solved this with Touchdown.

Signal strength for me though, has not been an issue. It has been as good as my former Nexus 1 and Blackberry 8310.

But, "Wordperfect"? Seriously, I didn't think anyone still used that ;)

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Eek. I also.came from a blackberry....the bold 9000. I have no regrets for my switch. Im sorry u were unhappy with ur atrix but for me its the best phone I've ever owned! Hope to.see u back on android whenever ur done with work. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Wish I didn't have to use wperfect but I do. Still really like android and will probably end up there when they work out the kinks

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I too feel android falls short on the email. Luckily I no longer need to use my emails as much asas before. Hopefully to see you back on android. My 9700 is collecting dust and is currently my back up alarm. :)

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from a BB 8900 this past week and REALLY miss BBM. None of the messaging apps are as reliable as BBM. Pingchat is close, but when the receiver is offline/has no signal, the sender's message doesn't appear until much later. Fortunately BBM will be on Android sometime.
Other than that, I love the Atrix and won't go back :).

Rickroller

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Even though my biggest concern was getting used to not having a physical keyboard, it really wasn't that bad but whoever says that they can type, reply, text, just as fast with the touchscreen is just misguided. A physical keyboard is much quicker and easier.

I hardly think that people who feel they type faster via touchscreen keyboard are "misguided". You used a virtual one for all of 28 days and now you're an expert on typing speed? Doubt it. Of course it all boils down to personal preference..but I can guarantee you..virtual keyboards are generally faster than physical..simply due to the AI of the software. But that's ok if you couldn't get used to it.

I jumped from a BB 8900 this past week and REALLY miss BBM. None of the messaging apps are as reliable as BBM. Pingchat is close, but when the receiver is offline/has no signal, the sender's message doesn't appear until much later. Fortunately BBM will be on Android sometime.
Other than that, I love the Atrix and won't go back :).

Whatsapp > BBM.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I hardly think that people who feel they type faster via touchscreen keyboard are "misguided". You used a virtual one for all of 28 days and now you're an expert on typing speed? Doubt it. Of course it all boils down to personal preference..but I can guarantee you..virtual keyboards are generally faster than physical..simply due to the AI of the software. But that's ok if you couldn't get used to it.

Whatsapp > BBM.

Sorry, neither whatsapp nor pingchat have the capacity and stability of RIM for BBM. I tried to install whatsapp and got a 'server not available' error a few times for an entire day. When I finally did install it my wife sent a few messages...a few of them never got to me. Pingchat is a little bit closer to BBM.

porando

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I came from BB and am on day 26... Decided to stay with Atrix though missing BB at times.. BB is messanginf device and not easy to match their performance in this field. Atrix is a web access device which also has option to acess emails but his is not its strong or top imortance feature.
I knew what I am going into, decided to make a move and not looking back. Actually sold my BB the next day to make sure I will go forward not back... Corporate emails are important (for the company the most) but live is much more that corporate email...(I know that but still learning how to deal with it) Atrix beats BB on speed to access webs, on the number of aaps which I can run, on the screen size and resolution, on "kewl "factor.
Many features - like signal strength at home and work is worse, wifi has issues, battery needs to be charged every day or more often, no BBM, have tons of usless application - which I install and delete all the time.. ... but the rest is great LOL..

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I came over from BB as well (an old 9000). So far, I'm loving Android. There are a few things I miss - Notably, BBM and the integration of some of the BB apps with messaging on the device. But, I'm sure with time Android will become more robust in this department.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can almost guarantee using Swype or even the landscape standard keyboard I can type as fast if not faster than someone using a physical keyboard on a BB device.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I can almost guarantee using Swype or even the landscape standard keyboard I can type as fast if not faster than someone using a physical keyboard on a BB device.

I know that I'm typing faster using Swype than my old BB 8900. I thought it would take longer to get the hang of Swype, but after using it for a total of 20-30min over the past 2 days I love it :).

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ill agree with you, Ive been using Android for about a year and typing is not as fast or accurate as using the BlackBerry Keyboard. I do miss that feature. I can type good on my Android, but the Bold 9700 was the best I have ever used. It can do just about everything else but the BlackBerry was awesome when it came to that field and I would be perfectly happy if I had to go back to BlackBerry for Job use. But then as soon as the job is done, Its back to Android I go lol

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I too came from a BB storm1. I must say its really a change.My old BB was awsome for email it went through in seconds something atrix cant match at all and yea messaging in general was pretty darn good.Ofcourse I wouldnt have the atrix if it wasnt for a good reason.The Android Os is pretty fast I'm still getting used to it (I'm on day 3) but its way better for internet,apps,and features than any BB so its a small price to pay.Overall I find the Atrix not too bad on e-mail though and my call quality is way better than my ATT storm.Sorry to hear you weren't happy with yours.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I came from the 9000, known by the majority of BB owners as "the absolute best Blackberry keyboard ever put on a device", which I wholeheartedly agree with. There is no comparison whatsoever in terms of speed..I could type 28947932 WPM without even looking at my phone, just looking straight ahead, or up, or with my eyes closed, and usually not even make one typo. Yes, the WPM are exaggerated, but the other thing is not. This is something the atrix, or android, or touchscreens in general still can't touch the BB with. I did this without even thinking on my BB all the time and people would freak out, asking me if I was really typing while looking straight ahead or while listening to the TV or something else; then I'd show them the text or e-mail I was typing, and the convo would end with "wtf.."

Anyway, the typing is inferior, but I knew that would most likely be the case for me going in. I'm putting up with it :) It's just two different technologies I suppose.
Gmail is supposed to be completely 100% deliciously-awesomely super-terrific INSTANTANEOUS according to most android users, but mine simply isn't. It is, once every so often, sure. But usually it is anywhere from 5-15 mins late. So far I haven't had one later than 15 mins, but it's rare I have one sooner than 5 mins late. Which, for regular newsletters or whathaveyou, I don't give a rat's behind for, but for actual conversations had through e-mail, it is irritating as all get out! I am still trying to figure this issue out.

In addition, I also have the weaker signal issue that the OP mentioned. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, but, again, my old phone was the Bold 9000, so I'm comparing the atrix/android to it, naturally...and I have significantly weaker signal in places where, just weeks ago when I was using the 9000, I had better or signal. Or, perhaps a better example of this is how, in many places now, where I used to have 1-2 bars on the 9000, I have 0 service. 0. Unable to send/receive texts, etc. Really getting irritated with this issue as well.. (I am talking about inside buildings, by the way. The same rooms inside the same buildings, for both the 9000 and atrix. Outside, the signal is perfectly great, of course).
Not only this, but as others have created threads about, opening the market immediately returns an error stating "Network error", like I need to retry the connection. It's slightly annoying, but tapping the "Retry" button once or twice usually takes care of it instantly and the market loads right up..again, instantly. But only after initially hitting the retry button. Yes, I do have service when this is happening, wifi/etc is not set to sleep, etc etc. I don't mind this issue much at all though, due to it just taking 1 or 2 extra taps to open the market.

Someone else mentioned having tons of useless apps to sort through and they're constantly deleting them or installing new ones. Haha, I feel your pain with that. Though this isn't really a knock on android, it's just a difference we knew we would go through. It's kind of a blessing and curse combined. With BB, the app selection was pretty lacking, not many free apps, majority all being paid, and most of the paid apps were fairly expensive, usually $5-30, though you could find some slightly cheaper and even some slightly more expensive as well. But, free apps were scarce compared to android and iOS of course. So, like I said, while not really a real issue per say, it is definitely a big change having so much at your fingertips, and having to constantly uninstall the apps you realize through time or use are pretty crummy, and searching for a better one among the thousands of alternatives.

WITH ALL OF THIS SAID, though, I am still, so far, keeping the atrix. There is a cost-benefit analysis to everything of course. There are positives of keeping my Bold 9000, and there are positives of keeping my Atrix. I'm choosing the Atrix because, as of now, I feel like it has more of the positives. It has more potential. It can do more things than my Bold 9000 could do. It's just that, the very few things my BB could do, it did very, very well.

EDIT; Btw, I don't even use BBM :p I know, a blackberry user who didn't use BBM - what are the odds? :-o

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy