My Atrix thoughts

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
My goal here is not to promote any other sites as I enjoy the community here but below are my thoughts on the Atrix I posted on my blog.

I've been using the Motorola Atrix since its release on March 6, 2010 and I have to say I'm loving it. You have to understand why this is a big deal, as an avid iPhone user, I have owned every iPhone model since its release in 2007. The fluidness of iOS, the integration of iTunes and of coarse the App Store has keep me more than satisfied the iPhone. This is not to say I haven't tried a few Android phones during this time including the NexusOne, and Sprint's Hero and Evo. While these were good phones they just didn't offer a good alternative to my iPhone for my needs.

Now fast forward almost a year to Motorola's release of the Atrix (click through for the phone's full spec's). I should add, I also tested the HTC Inspire released just weeks before the Atrix but again I didn't feel like it was the replacement for my iPhone. I should add everyone uses their phones differently and for my use case the Atrix is almost perfect.

The appeal for me is not just the phone, it's the accessories Motorola has also released. This is not to say the phone is not important, in fact the phone is what has drawn me in. When you combine the phone along with the Laptop dock you expand it's capabilities well beyond any phone ever offered. Motorola didn?t stop there they also released a Car dock, which allows me to use Google?s Nav software instead of a dedicated navigation unit. So for me the Atrix and it?s eco-system of accessories has replaced several devices making it the center of my communications and navigation needs.

So will the Artix and it?s laptop dock replace your laptop, well maybe but again it depends on your needs. If you are the type of person who surfs the internet using very few apps for your computing needs, then I would say you should seriously look at this combination.

There are other uquine features of the Atrix you should also know. The phone offers dual-core Tegra 2 processors, a finger print scanner for added security, webtop support, an application called phone portal. The phone portal allows to you view information about you phone via a web browser. From there you can view call and txt lists, contacts, photo?s, settings, and even a file manager. You can also see your signal strenghth, memory available and battery levels from this portal.

What?s the catch, well just as with any product the Atrix is not perfect. For one this phone is one of ATT Wireless?s flagship 4G launch devices. This weakness is more based on ATT?s lack of 4G service than the Atrix itself. Another design change I would want to see in a future design is for Motorola is focus more on the multimedia experience. After using the iPhone every other smartphone?s music player seems lacking. Motorola has investing in desktop media syncing software for both Windows and Mac?s called Motorola Media Link which works very well and solved one of my show stoppers issue. But again the phone?s application which plays music fine but lacks any visual appeal.

PS This article was written on the Atrix and the laptop dock.

Reactions: JusticeCalibur

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
A good post, from some good thoughts.

iPhones, when introduced, were innovative. No doubt there. But lately, there seems to have been little advancement. The same limitations, the same restrictions.

There are 2 primary users. half the people, are content to use a phone to make calls, send sms, take a few pictures, and play video. Toss in some ...games. They are happy for what their phone offers them. And for them, the iPhone gives this capability to the max.

The other half, is not content only with these things. They don't just want to change "themes, or wallpaper". They want the freedom to change the entire way the phone looks and behaves. Perhaps they wish to overclock the processor. Control more in which the phone operates. Or maybe they want to wipe all the "bloatware" that comes with a new "branded" phone.

Being an "old school tekkie", I appreciate the choice to manipulate Android phones.

The docking station? A novel idea, and I commend Motorola. Although it can never be a replacement for a desktop or laptop.

4g? Well, last I heard, there is no true "4g" network commercially available in the States. Only some type of Hybrid version. I had Cingular, before ATT acquired them years back. And ruined what once was, a good service.

But, glad you like the Atrix. Am sure with a root, and some new ROMS, it will work great for you!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781