Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Exclamation Disable 3g

Ok this is driving me crazy... how do I disable 3g? So that it only connects to 2g? But stays connected to the internet? I live in one of those spots where I have a strong 2g and weak 3g but it is always switching and switching so I never get text. Help please?

I asked this too, early on, in a thread about battery life, but I don't think I ever got an answer, and now I've lost the thread. (it's hard to find in 7298 threads about battery life)

So I'm curious as well. On my Bold 9000 I used to disable and enable 3G all the time.

Text messages are sent to your phone via AT&T's voice network. Turning off all mobile data shouldn't affect receiving them.

So does anybody know how to enable/disable 3G?
    I've looked through countless settings screens and am not seeing it...am I somehow missing it? Is it buried somewhere?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Not that I can find... Does a custom ROM give you that advantage? Thinking about installing GingerBlur... Don't quite understand SBF flashing yet... Got some reading to do.

Settings > Data Delivery > Make sure "enable data access over mobile network" is not checked.
    Thanked by:

Go to dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*
    This will take you a test page, then go to phone info> set preferred network type to GSM only.

To turn on H+ set network to GSM auto (PRL).

If connections reverts to H+ restart phone. If connection to H+ won't come back on in GSM auto> restart phone.
    Thanked by 3:

Thanks!
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

Default Re: Disable 3g

Thanks guys , I was in the same situation
    It was different than my MILESTONE , thanks

Those solutions would disable mobile data entirely (fine for text messaging, not for other things). I used to disable 3G and leave EDGE connected on my Blackberry. I often travel to rural areas for days at a time with no 3G service, and disabling the 3G radio ONLY would improve battery life noticeably. Would be nice if we had that option.

Quote Originally Posted by elcheapodeluxe View Post
    Those solutions would disable mobile data entirely (fine for text messaging, not for other things). I used to disable 3G and leave EDGE connected on my Blackberry. I often travel to rural areas for days at a time with no 3G service, and disabling the 3G radio ONLY would improve battery life noticeably. Would be nice if we had that option.
    i wondered this as well. although, i thought i saw on someones ROM on xda that this was a menu option. maybe i was mistaken.
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

Go to :
    Setting >> Wireless & Network setting >> Mobile Networks >> Select Network

You will find an option to disable 3G , but keeps EDGE

I hope that's what are you looking for

Go to dialer then type *#*#4636#*#*

Tap phone information. Now there is an option to change network. To switch to edge, choose "GSM only". To reenable 3g/4g choose "GSM auto (PRL)"

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk. :-D