Any free app to automatically toggle GPS?

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for an app that can automatically turn on GPS when I use a pre-defined application (like Google maps) in foreground and turn off GPS when the application exits or is inactive.
I know this can easily be setup with Tasker, but is there a more basic, light weight app that can be used specifically for this purpose...something that's free?

annihilator_4

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've actually tried leaving the GPS on all the time and it seems like it doesn't use the GPS unless an application attempts to use it. I haven't noticed any extra battery drainage and it's definitely nice not having to go and keep switching it on and off. I haven't done any actual testing but my assessment is that as long as the little GPS icon doesn't appear on the status bar the GPS isn't actually turned on. Try it out for a day and let me know your results.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've actually tried leaving the GPS on all the time and it seems like it doesn't use the GPS unless an application attempts to use it. I haven't noticed any extra battery drainage and it's definitely nice not having to go and keep switching it on and off. I haven't done any actual testing but my assessment is that as long as the little GPS icon doesn't appear on the status bar the GPS isn't actually turned on. Try it out for a day and let me know your results.

I second that. Never had a problem with keeping the GPS on. It only actually uses the GPS when the application uses GPS. For instance I have Beautiful Widgets and I have it update every 15 minutes for the weather which then it uses the GPS. I have had no extra battery drainage. I still get a full day out of this battery with alot of things updating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995