New Android User with Questions
I just received my phone on Friday and I'll admit that I'm in love. There are just a few things I'm missing from my BB and am curious about. As amazing as this phone is I'm sure it's possible to do these two things and it's just user error on my part:
1) Is it possible to save a text message?
2) When I delete email on the phone, is it possible to keep the email in Gmail? It's not an email I necessarily want on my phone (like a shipping confirmation) but keep it on my laptop just in case I may need it later).
3) And how do I edit my Contact Information (when the phone is locked there's no name for 'belongs to' but I can't find where to change this).
4) Any recommendations for a screen cover (fingerprints are driving me CRAZY!)
OK....I guess I had 4 questions.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
- 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM #2
- 259 Posts
Ok, these are just my observations and opinions. I am by no means an Android expert.
1) Not that I have seen in the way you can on the BB
2) You can archive the email through Gmail if you're using Gmail. Otherwise you need to use POP3 email and not IMAP if you want to delete an email on your phone, but not on the server.
3) The best way I've found to edit contact info is through Gmail. Go online with your computer and edit the info. It will sync to your phone automatically.
4) I use the Zagg InvisibleShield, but I'm not sure if that's the best at avoiding fingerprints. They drive me crazy too. The alternative would be to use AT&T's crappy anti-fingerprint/anti-glare protector, but it makes the screen look terrible. Not worth it as far as I'm concerned.
Glad you joined our forum!!
- 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM #3
I am also new to Android and I also love my Atrix Cheers!!
Last edited by kid108; 03-28-2011 at 05:09 PM." In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. " Albert Einstein.
- 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM #4
so how do I set up my gmail to POP3?I like how my BB used to let me delete any email on the phone but still kep it on the server?
Can anyone post some link that I can go read from and learn to do that or do I have to do this on a Pc on google?
- 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM #5
- 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM #6
- 03-28-2011, 08:59 PM #7
Few more questions from a noob...is there any way to create a direct shortcut or app or widget (whatever correct term is) on a screen to access each of my 3 email accounts. Right now i have one for my exchange email and gmail but I cant figure out how to get one for my yahoo and home account. I can access these only through the messaging option, would be nice just to access with one push of the button as a shortcut....Also, how do i get voicemails listed by caller and on a playback list. Not sure what its called but i know its possible, basically all vmails are saved and can be seen by caller id and you can select each individually and play...sorry for long post but id love to get these features
- 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM #8
- 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM #9
You can enable POP and use the Email app on the phone besides the Gmail app right?Just swapped out the Xoom Tablet for an IPhone. I never ever thought I would get an IPhone. Im currently eating my words. Apple has a lot going on here....Im loving both platforms.
You guys are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for your help!
Looks like that only thing I won't be able to do is save text messages. I don't think I can forward them as emails either to try and save them.
Does anyone know if it's possible to delete part of a text thread without deleting the entire conversation?
I'm definitely getting a screen protector TODAY! I looked at the Otterbox but it's to bulky for me.
All in all, if not being able to save text messages is the biggest problem I can find with this phone (aside from battery life), then I won't complain.
- 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM #11
- 259 Posts
I use an app called Handcent SMS for SMS and MMS messaging. This app allows me to both save messages, forward to another number (but apparently not to an e-mail, delete individual messages within a thread, copy message text (for copy/paste). I can also lock a message.
Others use GO SMS and like that one. I think it might just be preference.
- 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM #13
Good Luck, and welcome to the wonderful world that is Android!
- 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM #14
- 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM #15
- 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM #16