Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tunie
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM:Rooted

Default How to allow unknown source?

I'm trying to install swype. The swype site just says, go to settings, applications and click to allow unknown source, but I can't find that. I've searched here and on google, to no avail. Every post just says, "you have to allow unknown source" but they don't say how.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.
    fersha likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by tunie View Post
    I'm trying to install swype. The swype site just says, go to settings, applications and click to allow unknown source, but I can't find that. I've searched here and on google, to no avail. Every post just says, "you have to allow unknown source" but they don't say how.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.
    AT&T hides that option from you try using the
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...e-v-1-2-a.html
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    tunie 
    fersha likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Okay, thanks. Wow, looks like quite a process...sigh I better get on it

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Okay, thanks. Wow, looks like quite a process...sigh I better get on it
    its pretty easy just make sure you follow the instructions and it shouldnt take more than a couple of mins
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM

Thank you again. I am having a small problem locating the "charge only" setting. >>>Ensure that your phone is set to "charge only" in the USB connections settings. See the documentation that came with your phone if you have any question.<<<<

I have the manual for the phone, but I can't find anything in it that addresses this. I also searched here and on google, but couldn't find it anywhere. When I click on USB connection, I have 4 choices- Motorola Phone Portal, Windows Media Sync, USB mass storage and None. I just can't find the option to select "charge only". I give up

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thank you again. I am having a small problem locating the "charge only" setting. >>>Ensure that your phone is set to "charge only" in the USB connections settings. See the documentation that came with your phone if you have any question.<<<<

I have the manual for the phone, but I can't find anything in it that addresses this. I also searched here and on google, but couldn't find it anywhere. When I click on USB connection, I have 4 choices- Motorola Phone Portal, Windows Media Sync, USB mass storage and None. I just can't find the option to select "charge only". I give up
    try None
    Thanked by:
    tunie 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM

try None
    Okay I guess I should have thought of that...thank you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM

Good grief I'm such a noob. So I just spent almost 30 mins looking for an app I can download to my PC. None of them, so far, allow me to download them, only to install them on my phone. >>>>Download an Android app to somewhere on your computer, like the desktop. Make sure this app is for the version of Android your phone is running.<<<<< Really, I must have tried at least 15 of them, but none will allow me to download.

Can you point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks...

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Good grief I'm such a noob. So I just spent almost 30 mins looking for an app I can download to my PC. None of them, so far, allow me to download them, only to install them on my phone. >>>>Download an Android app to somewhere on your computer, like the desktop. Make sure this app is for the version of Android your phone is running.<<<<< Really, I must have tried at least 15 of them, but none will allow me to download.

Thanks...
    check your pm inbox please
    Thanked by:
    tunie 

Thanks...
    I had same problem when I first did it. On this forum under carrier and then AT&T I believe are troubleshooting steps. I was running it from download folder and windows by default blocks certain rights to protect you from certain folders. Was a simplemfix.

ROM
    AOKP Build #33 / Cm91.0v4

Default aRoot

If you don't feel like plugging in your phone all the time , try out aRoot ... It gives you the option to side load apk's